Ugh, time for a new mattress - Help!?!

Grumpy_Bottom

Try our thick, creamy milkshakes
Reaction score
So, reading reviews, it seems that most everything produced today is crap, and will sag after a year or two. Which is why I'm replacing the crap Serta that we have now after only 6 years. It's like sleeping in a canoe. So, people of the planet, what say you? Who do you love? Foam? Springs? Sleep Number? How long have you had it, and how big be ye?

For perspective, I prefer a firm mattress, with a plush pillow top - gives me back support without feeling like I'm sleeping on the ground. Sadly, my current mattress is like sleeping on a squishy pillow, no support where I need it most, and more often than not, my back is killing me by morning. I live in FL, with a wife who hates cold, so I've been nervous about memory foam for fear of heat being an issue, but I see lots of them now advertise "magical cooling properties" so I'm also curious if anyone has thoughts about this too...

I'm that guy who is so disgusted by the planned obsolescence/we don't give a f*ck attitude of most companies that I bought a 1980's vintage Sony clock radio because all the modern "new" ones I bought were crap out of the box and died within a few years, so reading all the reviews of mattress brand after mattress brand talking about how they sag after only months is giving me agita. :facepalm:

Specifically, anyone try "BedInABox"?

Well, you're right about one thing. Crap. We bought a mattress with springs wrapped in foam with a gel pillow top for $1800 in June, a Serta, and it's already sagging. Memory foam is brutal because of the heat it retains. Had one of those and hated it, so got this one. Pure garbage. We're stumped at this point. Good luck.

Waterbed for the win...:coffee:

RoundBed-3-325.jpg

Without knowing anything about budget, there's a brand called Hastens. They're awesome.
They're also quite expensive unfortunately (as in you could potentially buy a used car for the price of some of their stuff)

Without knowing anything about budget, there's a brand called Hastens. They're awesome.
They're also quite expensive unfortunately (as in you could potentially buy a used car for the price of some of their stuff)
Longevity or durability? How expensive are we talking?

I'm lost for advice to give ya. I got a 6 year old Posturepedic and I got the same issue as you. I'm hoping for some tips too.

Waterbed.. never again especially with cats in the house knowwhatimean?

I'm lost for advice to give ya. I got a 6 year old Posturepedic and I got the same issue as you. I'm hoping for some tips too.

Waterbed.. never again especially with cats in the house knowwhatimean?

Cats what kind of pussy are we talking about?

Been here.

Couple 4 years ago. Mattress was shot. Felt like crap every morning. All achey.

Then we had a weekend away. Slept in a hotel. Like a baby. Fresh like I hadn't been in ages the next morning. So good in fact I told my wife that's it! Pulled the sheets away and checked the label. Sterns & Foster. Sold.

Went home and started shopping. Ended up at the nearest Sleepys. Laid on a beautiful pillow top. Let's do this! Initially great. Really.

Then about a year in I notice I'm not as fresh and lively in the a.m. About 6 months later there's noticable sag. Now? I'd like to throw it out my window.

When you get a solid answer let me know.

I'm almost willing to go to a hotel and try and find out if they buy different or if I could purchase from their distributor.

Not speaking from personal experience, but I have friends that love their Sleep Number bed. They have an adjustable one and claim it does wonders for the back.

Many people that I know swear by the Sleep Number; it'll never sag, always stays at the level that you said it, etc. My parents have had theirs for 15 years; the only thing that they had to do was replace the pump, but that was because of a lightning power surge.

Many people that I know swear by the Sleep Number; it'll never sag, always stays at the level that you said it, etc. My parents have had theirs for 15 years; the only thing that they had to do was replace the pump, but that was because of a lightning power surge.

We have had our Standard King Sleep # for 16 years. What PF09 said.

Cheers, BostonTim

We have had our Standard King Sleep # for 16 years. What PF09 said.

Cheers, BostonTim
How do you find it to be WRT heat, in the summer obviously, do you find it to be unpleasant or doesn't breath well or is it OK? That's been my biggest (and only, really) concern with anything foam based.

How do you find it to be WRT heat, in the summer obviously, do you find it to be unpleasant or doesn't breath well or is it OK? That's been my biggest (and only, really) concern with anything foam based.

We have a nice pillow top. By choice, we do not have ac in the bedroom and I have never felt the least bit uncomfortable. Falling into bed is heaven.

Cheers

I've had waterbeds for over 30 years and I love them.

I've only had three matrasses in that time and still use the original frame.

The first one failed because the two pieces of plywood separated slightly and pinched the mattress in the center.

I now put duct tape over the joint and haven't had a problem with that since.

I don't recall what killed the second mattress.

I have one with baffles now and it's essentially wave less.

I can adjust the firmness by how much water I put in.

As time goes on, air comes out of solution and I have to "burp" it to eliminate the air pocket, since that will reduce the firmness.

A heated bed in the winter is glorious.

In the summer if it gets hot, I turn down the thermostat and do a partial water change to cool off the bed.

You have to be careful about this, since it's easy to get it too cold and that's really uncomfortable.

Don't have cat's, so that's not an issue.

Oh and Piggy, a word of warning.

Hitting a "moving target" adds a degree of difficulty that you don't have in a conventional bed. :coffee:

Back