Vick Receives Courage Award?

PatsFanDan

Reaction score
If this story were not so sad, it would be funny..........

Vick recipient of Block Courage AwardComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

Philadelphia quarterback Michael Vick, who joined the Eagles this season after serving 18 months in federal prison for his role in a dogfighting ring, has been named recipient of the team's Ed Block Courage Award.

Given annually, the award honors NFL players who exemplify commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage. Recipients are selected in a vote by their teammates for team effort as well as individual performance.

Vick was signed to a $1.6 million contract by the Eagles during the preseason, with a team option for next year worth $5.2 million. He was granted full reinstatement to the league on Sept. 3 by commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed him to return to the field in Week 3.

In 12 games, Vick has completed 6 of 13 passes for 86 yards and a touchdown this season and has also rushed 24 times for 95 yards and two scores. All three of Vick's touchdowns have come in the last three games.

Vick was given a prison sentence in December 2007 of up to 23 months, receiving a harsher sentence than his co-defendants in the federal conspiracy case because he gave "less than truthful" statements about killing pit bulls. He completed the sentence under house arrest.

He also has drawn the ire of animal rights groups and several formed protests outside NFL stadiums this season. The public will get an inside look at his life during an eight-part television series, described as part reality TV/part documentary, scheduled to debut on BET next year.

Vick, along with one player from each of the other 31 NFL teams, will be honored at the Ed Block Courage Award Banquet in March in Baltimore.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4767825

Here we go with the Vick argument again.

Look- Vick is an asshole and what he did was horrid and reprehensible. BUT the man did his time and served 2 years in federal prison for running a DOGFIGHTING RING (And running an illegal gambling operation). He didn't kill a human, he killed animals.

He paid his debt to society and has said all the right things upon his release. The man is entitled to pick up his life and try and move forward. His teammates probably voted for him just on the basis of knowing he was unfairly and harshly made an example out of by the Feds.

I know that there is a very large contingency of people who will never be satisfied with Vick being nothing but miserable and kept down. I am with the people who believe that, while reprehensible, what he did WAS only to animals. He did his time. He paid his Debt.

Get off his back.

Here we go with the Vick argument again.

Look- Vick is an asshole and what he did was horrid and reprehensible. BUT the man did his time and served 2 years in federal prison for running a DOGFIGHTING RING (And running an illegal gambling operation). He didn't kill a human, he killed animals.

He paid his debt to society and has said all the right things upon his release. The man is entitled to pick up his life and try and move forward. His teammates probably voted for him just on the basis of knowing he was unfairly and harshly made an example out of by the Feds.

I know that there is a very large contingency of people who will never be satisfied with Vick being nothing but miserable and kept down. I am with the people who believe that, while reprehensible, what he did WAS only to animals. He did his time. He paid his Debt.

Get off his back.
well said...he served his time, more tame than most would have served for the same crime.

sure he is a POS, we all are at times, he just is at the head of the class

but I think maybe the team Voted him as a slap in the face to all the media

I guess I just don't see what courage he displayed, the article didn't give us any reason to show he was worthy of this 'award'....He sure didn't show any courage when he was questioned about what he was doing and he lied to the Feds.

Yeah, I find myself having gone from thinking he should never have been allowed to play another snap in the NFL, to hoping he stays on the straight and narrow and succeeds. Maybe there's a chance some of the other thugs around the league will take a lesson.

I guess I just don't see what courage he displayed, the article didn't give us any reason to show he was worthy of this 'award'....He sure didn't show any courage when he was questioned about what he was doing and he lied to the Feds.

If anything, I'd say the courage is what it takes to do that time and get out and face the onslaught of loathing while trying to make your way back in, plus keep on the straight and narrow while doing so. It'd be pretty easy to just crawl into a corner with what's left of your money and stay out of the light. Instead, he took the lumps and came out better for it.

Bear in mind I'm saying this as a pure Vick hater who really didn't want him to have another chance. I now have to admit I was wrong. He's earned that second chance.

If anything, I'd say the courage is what it takes to do that time and get out and face the onslaught of loathing while trying to make your way back in, plus keep on the straight and narrow while doing so. It'd be pretty easy to just crawl into a corner with what's left of your money and stay out of the light. Instead, he took the lumps and came out better for it.

Bear in mind I'm saying this as a pure Vick hater who really didn't want him to have another chance. I now have to admit I was wrong. He's earned that second chance.

I guess my beef is with the article, they didn't do anything but a recap of his sentence.

Vick did his time, he's allowed to live his life. I just, based on some of the cowardly things he did wonder what he did so courageous:shrug:

You gave me something, the article, not so much.

I also believe he was broke and needed to return to the NFL, what else was he going to do?

The point here is that a guy that used to kill dogs for a hobby just received an award for courage. Kind of a sad and pathetic irony if you ask me.

But if you guys want me to leave Fido Killer alone, well then I guess I will leave him alone.

I'm fine with Vick playing in the NFL but giving him an award for "courage" is bullshit of the highest order.

Exactly. And for the record I don't think I ever said Vick shouldn't be given a second opportunity. In this thread or any other post previously.

Exactly what choice did he have? He had no money left. So it was make a few million or get work with his "college degree". I also am not sure he took any "lumps" as evidenced by his team mates giving him this award...apparently they hold Vick as a role model?

Now I am not saying that he didn't pay his "debt"...He spent time in prison and lost untold millions. (though he deserved every bit of it...especially as he didn't "man up" to anything until he was caught in every sense of the word...so his "contrition" is 100% BS...he is sorry he got CAUGHT not for anything he did)

What I am saying is that things are 100% the same...he is once again an "entitled athlete" where the rules of normal people do not apply.

"Facing adversity" is NOT something that is self inflicted. The guy could have actually worked for a living or try to get back into the privileged life of a Pro Athlete? Sorry that takes not one ounce of "courage" or any "commitment" of any kind except getting paid like an NFL player.

What other choice did he have but do the time, and face the loathing? Not sure how brave it is. Sorry but yeah I killed dogs went to jail for it and now here I am is not really screaming bravery to me.

It takes courage to suck it up and admit you're wrong- true.

Also, playing in the NFL for millions of dollars is nice.

It takes courage to suck it up and admit you're wrong- true.

Also, playing in the NFL for millions of dollars is nice.

Admit he was wrong? Not sure what the other alternative was. Umm yes killing dogs is the awesome, please let me back in the NFL.

Admit he was wrong? Not sure what the other alternative was. Umm yes killing dogs is the awesome, please let me back in the NFL.

I was actually surprised that he kinda accepted the punishment and served time.

Of course, it was all probably a part of his post-NFL rap career.

I was actually surprised that he kinda accepted the punishment and served time.

Of course, it was all probably a part of his post-NFL rap career.

When do you get this choice to not accepth the punishment? He got probably half the time me or you would have.

Back