Vick to play in 2009?

1hotpatsgirl

never, never give up
Reaction score
John Clayton reported last night on ESPN that in fact w/ the potential retirement of some key quarterbacks and the potential of reinstatement by Goodell that Vick could be playing in 2009. Here are some excerpts from an article I read. Just wondering where you stand on this?

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick could be getting out of federal prison much earlier than anticipated after applying for a prison-monitored drug rehabilitation program and evidently being moved into the program in Leavenworth, Kan. The program could have Vick out of prison by the end of this year and perhaps back in the NFL by the 2009 season

Humane Society investigator John Goodwin expressed moderate dismay at the news Vick might get out earlier.
"At the time that he was sentenced, I and a lot of other people who watched this case felt Vick received a fair sentence," Goodwin said. "If this really happens, that he's able to get out in what's basically half the time, I think there's going to be a lot of outrage about the whole situation. "It's just another example of big money allowing someone to get away with something the rest of society couldn't."

I would hope no NFL team would be that desperate.

The man was crucified, made an example of, and paid much more than what he should have for his actions. Once he is out of prison I hope he gets back to being able to do his livelihood (NFL QB'ing), however my gut tells me he will be blackballed by everyone but the raiders.

This is not going to be a popular answer.

Our system allows rapists and child molesters to serve only a portion of their sentence and be released for whatever reason, good behavior, time served while awaiting trial, etc.

What Vick did was wrong, makes me sick, and affront to anyone who loves animals, dogs in particular. It is something he was punished for, is serving his sentence, paid fines, lost virtually everything, and is now being looked up like every other person that serves a sentence in this country - is he a candidate for early release. He probably is. He's probably been a model prisoner. Does that take away from what he did? No, though I feel it is part of being raised in the area he was raised in and a common occurrence in that part of the country. Is he remorseful? I'm sure he is.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance if they have paid the price. I think he will make the most of his opportunity, if it happens.

Okay, let the bashing begin.

I don't have a problem with him returning, though I don't agree with celebrities getting off easier than others (but that's just how it is). He was a massive scapegoat and although I really didn't like him as a player, I wouldn't mind seeing him return and having a decent career the rest of the way.

Vick to Vikings anyone?

One other thing though, isn't his state case still in process? I know he was convicted of the federal crimes, but isn't there a separate state case that is still open and could possibly lead to more jail time? If that's the case, I can't see how any team signs him until that case is completed.

Our system allows rapists and child molesters to serve only a portion of their sentence and be released for whatever reason, good behavior, time served while awaiting trial, etc.

What Vick did was wrong, makes me sick, and affront to anyone who loves animals, dogs in particular. It is something he was punished for, is serving his sentence, paid fines, lost virtually everything, and is now being looked up like every other person that serves a sentence in this country - is he a candidate for early release. He probably is. He's probably been a model prisoner. Does that take away from what he did? No, though I feel it is part of being raised in the area he was raised in and a common occurrence in that part of the country. Is he remorseful? I'm sure he is.

Everyone is entitled to a second chance if they have paid the price. I think he will make the most of his opportunity, if it happens.

I agree with you 100% on this. No bashing from me.

I agree. We've had drunk drivers who killed people playing in the NFL. Seems like he's been punished fairly. I would however, give him a very short leash (pun intended).

OK, actually your point is well taken and absolutley true, everybody makes mistakes.....BIG ones sometimes, I believe in second chances as well.....but do you really think he is remorseful? That's what bothers me...his act was so, so cruel....I dont know...it's a hard one for me. That's why I wanted to see what other's thought?

What Vick did was wrong, makes me sick, and affront to anyone who loves animals, dogs in particular. It is something he was punished for, is serving his sentence, paid fines, lost virtually everything, and is now being looked up like every other person that serves a sentence in this country - is he a candidate for early release.

someone will play him at QB but in a role like reggie bush he would help a team much more...I just never thought he was a very good QB

I will say Mike is more rehabilitated than his brother Marcus ever will be

OK, actually your point is well taken and absolutley true, everybody makes mistakes.....BIG ones sometimes, I believe in second chances as well.....but do you really think he is remorseful? That's what bothers me...his act was so, so cruel....I dont know...it's a hard one for me. That's why I wanted to see what other's thought?
for getting caught? yeah he is very remorseful...he also learned all those paid friends will turn fast if threatened, that he needs to be accountable for his own actions.

Yeah, he's probably remorseful....that he got caught. Who knows if he really feels badly for the animals. Most likely not.

Hopefully he'll make the most of any second chances he might get.

I agree for the most part with you Lisa..I just don't like the signal it will send to people if he is able to become a high profile celebrity earning millions again though..it just seems a bit off after what he did. Yes, he paid the price and in some ways he paid an even bigger price than the average Joe would but the NFL SAYS they are not going to tolerate this kind of behavior in their players. I mean just what does it take for someone to not have the privelege anymore? To me it is a privelege for these guys to have this dream job and at some point..they lose that.

I am kind of torn because I do think he is remorseful or at least will never do anything like this again but still.:(

I dont have an issue with the second chance.

I just think he's going to be a little slower than he was last he played and his game relied so much on speed that I dont think he'll be worth a shit as an NFL QB.

Who knows if anyone is remorseful, and what they are remorseful for. Do I think he's remorseful for letting his family squat on his property and do illegal things? Yup. Do I think he's remorseful for losing everything because of his actions? Yup. Do I think he believes he did something wrong? I think he believes he did something illegal but that happens all around him and has all of his life, so he probably didn't at the time.

Yes, to anyone who grew up in the north, this is a horrific "sport" that is practiced down south. It is very common in Mexico and other places, also. If you grew up with it, you probably wouldn't think twice about it. Me, I think it's barbaric, but I didn't grow up around this type of thing.

Yeah, he's probably remorseful....that he got caught. Who knows if he really feels badly for the animals. Most likely not.

Hopefully he'll make the most of any second chances he might get.

lol....yeah, that he got caught, and lost his money, fame,right to be free.....i just cant see torturing dogs over and over and over again for so long and being away for a relatively short time and all of sudden becoming remorseful for his acts....

Back