Visiting Boston Pt. 2

Alk

Reaction score
So as some of you probably already know, I was able to get tickets for the Patriots game on November 13 against the Seahawks. The last time I was there it was just with my wife back in 2009. This time we're bringing our boys who are 10 and 15. It's going to be a whirlwind trip. We fly in on the 9th and fly out on the 14th. Just looking for things that we have to show them while we're there. Last time we did the freedom trail tour and I think our high school son especially will like that. We didn't see the USS Constitution or the Boston Tea Party museum. Are either of those worth going to? Also are there certain days that are better than others to visit the Patriots Hall of Fame? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Check out Gloucester, we went by there in July and I really enjoyed checking out the town and it's rich history. Not sure how far it is from Boston but t's worth a look imo.

Reactions: Alk
So as some of you probably already know, I was able to get tickets for the Patriots game on November 13 against the Seahawks. The last time I was there it was just with my wife back in 2009. This time we're bringing our boys who are 10 and 15. It's going to be a whirlwind trip. We fly in on the 9th and fly out on the 14th. Just looking for things that we have to show them while we're there. Last time we did the freedom trail tour and I think our high school son especially will like that. We didn't see the USS Constitution or the Boston Tea Party museum. Are either of those worth going to? Also are there certain days that are better than others to visit the Patriots Hall of Fame? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The USS Constitution is under going renovations but is still open. I heard it's actually better during the renovations because it's in dry dock and parts of the ship not normally seen are visible.

If the duck tours are still running, it's a must.

Bunker Hill. The North End.

The Bruins have a home game on the 10th, the C's are home on the 11th, but it may be pricey for 4 tickets.

There isn't a bad time for the Pat's HOF. Saturday will be busier, but you should still be fine.

You can head to the other side of the river and check out Harvard Square.

I'm sure others have more suggestions.

Check out Gloucester, we went by there in July and I really enjoyed checking out the town and it's rich history. Not sure how far it is from Boston but t's worth a look imo.

We actually did go there last time. Seems like it wasn't too long of a drive. I was thinking about taking them to see Salem so that might be a good way to fill a day.

The USS Constitution is under going renovations but is still open. I heard it's actually better during the renovations because it's in dry dock and parts of the ship not normally seen are visible.

If the duck tours are still running, it's a must.

Bunker Hill. The North End.

The Bruins have a home game on the 10th, the C's are home on the 11th, but it may be pricey for 4 tickets.

There isn't a bad time for the Pat's HOF. Saturday will be busier, but you should still be fine.

You can head to the other side of the river and check out Harvard Square.

I'm sure others have more suggestions.

The Celtics game might not be a bad idea. My younger son isn't going to the Patriots game because he's a dreaded Broncos fan but he does love NBA so I might see if I could score a couple tickets and just take him to that game.

We actually did go there last time. Seems like it wasn't too long of a drive. I was thinking about taking them to see Salem so that might be a good way to fill a day.

Providence or Cape Cod are also options for day trips.

May not float your boat, but the Museum Of Fine Arts has a very nice collection, with some outstanding Impressionist paintings (Renoir, Monet, Van Gogh, et alia).

If you are a museum person, then the MFA is only a few steps from the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum (she was a close friend of John Singer Sargent and James McNeill Whistler).

Perhaps not the right venues for 10 and 15 year-old boys, but one never knows. Both my sons are into weight-lifting, one has tattoos, yet they both like fine art.

If you encounter a rainy day (always a possibility in November around this area), this might be a good option.

So a question about the Celtics game. I can get tickets for pretty darn reasonable but don't know if it will be worth it. Is the view from the 300s okay or is it like looking at a bunch of ants running around the court?

I heard that is where it's fun to find out.

It's fun to find out what makes an ocean wave wave.

---------- Post added at 04:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

So a question about the Celtics game. I can get tickets for pretty darn reasonable but don't know if it will be worth it. Is the view from the 300s okay or is it like looking at a bunch of ants running around the court?

There really aren't many bad seats in that place.

Well, I got tickets to the Celtics/Knicks game. That fills up our Friday and Sunday nights.

AKpatsfan mentioned Gloucester, but I'd recommend taking a trip to Salem for the day.

Salem is maybe a bit more interesting to me and it's a pretty good town for a touristy day with various historical Witch Trials-themed attractions, films, boat and open-top bus tours and a pretty cool Harry Potter store (if they might be into that). The Essex-Peabody museum is a very underrated place to kill a few hours and the entire town is loaded with funky, wiccan-type stores and art. It's also a very beautiful town with a ton of mansions and a rich history. I've never been anywhere quite like Salem.

If you go to Gillette early on Sunday then there is a nice bowling alley at Patriot Place and a place called "5Wits" which has several live "interactive adventures" to choose from, for instance, a 20,000 leagues under the sea attraction and one called Espionage. Your family might enjoy trying one of those and a trip to the Patriots Hall of Fame might also be good.

AKpatsfan mentioned Gloucester, but I'd recommend taking a trip to Salem for the day.

Salem is maybe a bit more interesting to me and it's a pretty good town for a touristy day with various historical Witch Trials-themed attractions, films, boat and open-top bus tours and a pretty cool Harry Potter store (if they might be into that).

Ummm....yeah. I'm going to need more details on this. My wife is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. What's the name of this place?

Ummm....yeah. I'm going to need more details on this. My wife is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. What's the name of this place?

Wynott's Wands. Moved over to Essex St. from the wharf.

Cheers

Wynott's Wands. Moved over to Essex St. from the wharf.

Cheers

Awesome, after googling I thought that might be the place. It must have opened after our last visit to the area. My wife is really excited about it so it looks like we'll be visiting Salem again. I think we're getting really close to having our trip filled already.

Salem is maybe a bit more interesting to me and it's a pretty good town for a touristy day with various historical Witch Trials-themed attractions, films, boat and open-top bus tours and a pretty cool Harry Potter store (if they might be into that). The Essex-Peabody museum is a very underrated place to kill a few hours and the entire town is loaded with funky, wiccan-type stores and art. It's also a very beautiful town with a ton of mansions and a rich history. I've never been anywhere quite like Salem.

If you go to Gillette early on Sunday then there is a nice bowling alley at Patriot Place and a place called "5Wits" which has several live "interactive adventures" to choose from, for instance, a 20,000 leagues under the sea attraction and one called Espionage. Your family might enjoy trying one of those and a trip to the Patriots Hall of Fame might also be good.

Well to pile on the historical theme, Being November, perhaps a trip to Plymouthe (sic) might be worth it?

Well to pile on the historical theme, Being November, perhaps a trip to Plymouthe (sic) might be worth it?

Born and raised in Gloucester so I always endorse that venue, but theere is so much great stuff, including plymoth(e) it's amazing.

To bad all this great stuff is is the stuff that comprises taxachusetts.

Cheers

Another great suggestion. I hadn't even thought of that and it looks like it's about an hour south of Boston. Gonna add that one to the list.

Back