Von Miller Dealt To The Rams

The Rams are really serious this time. :coffee:
He's nowhere near what he once was and is coming to the end, but it's a good get. I'd be concerned the Rams future, though. They toss 1st rd picks like candy and may not even drafting until Rd 4 next May.

Denver is lucky they got good value after waiting so long to actually do this.

Von Miller is a bit over the road. He's no longer the unstoppable force he once was. That said, he could be a factor, but we'll have to see how good of a fit it is.

Rams really do think draft picks hold little value it seems.

2022 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their window is this year and the next 2 years. It's a different philosophy but it's worked in the past for a few teams going all in. Broncos, Eagles and Chiefs to name 3 recent teams.

Last edited:
2022 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their window is this year and the next 2 years. It's a different philosophy but it's worked in the past for a few teams going all in.
I was wondering why they didn't deal him after 2019 to be honest. Some dumb team may have given them a 1st rder. Teams that are so clearly rebuilding holding onto a guy entering the later stage of his career on a bloated contract seems dumb. It could be they waited too long to get better value back, although I do think they're lucky to have gotten a 2nd and a 3rd.

He's a FA, so he's a full on rental here.

2022 2nd and 3rd round picks. Their window is this year and the next 2 years. It's a different philosophy but it's worked in the past for a few teams going all in. Broncos, Eagles and Chiefs to name 3 recent teams.
What I find funny is when the Rams check comes due, they are going to be a bad team for a loooooong time. Had they stayed in St. Louis, that fan base may have tolerated it and supported them. But in LA, their "fans" will just find something better to do. I don't hate the Rams but I have a strong dislike for LA and that city doesn't deserve one NFL team, let alone two. I just hope the Lombardi eludes Tinseltown for as long as possible.

Current Rams’ 2022 draft picks:
Round 1: Traded to Lions
Round 2: Traded to Broncos
Round 3: Traded to Broncos, still own a compensatory pick (via Brad Holmes hire)
Round 4: Traded to Texans
Round 5: Own
Round 6: Traded to Patriots
Round 7: Own & Dolphins’ pick

Round 3: Traded to Broncos, still own a compensatory pick (via Brad Holmes hire)
I am sorry, but that is patently irresponsible.

Kroenke is so desperate for money, he's got Snead and McVay drunk with mentally deranged decisions. They HAVE to win the SB this year. Have to. Or, they're cooked. Or, at least Snead finally is. That guy has been there for 10 years and one reason we beat them in the SB is due to their cap hell and middle part of their roster being so weak like cap hell teams have. They still have that top heavy roster by importing other teams' expensive players instead of drafting your own.

He fleeced the Skins in the RG3 deal in 2011 and he essentially did nothing with it. Their draft next year is about as arrogant as it gets. If they don't win at all and they honestly have no picks to even use next year, that will be egg all over their faces.

Look at the upside here, they are saving a shit-ton of money on college scouting this year

The Rams are really serious this time. :coffee:
This. They're seriously the Washington (then) Redskins at this point.

"Surely trading our entire draft for aging veterans their team doesn't want anymore will work this time!"

This has been their MO since McVay got their, and they haven't won shit. They'll still be really good. They'll still choke at some point in the playoffs because, guess what, McVay's not that great a coach under pressure (Oh, did I say that out loud?) :coffee:

8C1256C6-DCCE-4DE5-8F9B-AF5642A9DAB2.jpeg

Holy crap.

So when I first heard this trade, I heard that he was traded for two Day 2 picks. My reaction was basically: "meh.". Yeah, they're all in for this year, he's old but still probably has something in the tank, as a situational pass rusher, etc.

But that's because I forgot the draft was 3 days now. I was thinking it was like a 4 and a 6 or something...a 2 and a 3, and this year!?! Von Miller is closer to 33 than 32, has clearly slowed way down after IR last year, hasn't been peak since at least 2018, and I'd argue a year earlier. He's a FA at the end of the year. You trade a 2 and a 3?!? You had better have an extension already in your back pocket, and for CHEAP!

It's a ballsy move by LA and if Miller plays great and they win it all then they'll be celebrated for their aggressiveness and if he doesn't and they don't then they will soon be holding their own
fire sale. Anybody need a human Tasmanian Devil on their defensive line?

I'm not a big fan of the league office and what they've done to force two square teams into a big, round hole out there. So far, the guys in the league office are straining their rotator cuffs patting themselves on the back for their vision, blah, blah, blah, and it's really worked well for them in the early returns. Two pretty-good blue and gold teams carpetbagged from their low-rent fanbases in a massive, glitzy football palace that cost more than 25 times what Gillette stadium did.

What we saw Sunday with Patriots fans outnumbering Chargers fans was really interesting to me. If (when) the Rams go into a tailspin you'll have a really hard time putting people in those seats.

The league is heavily invested in this whole deal and I'll be watching carefully for evidence that the refs are giving the LA teams a little help. Nothing would make me happier than to see it all blow up in their faces, because people out there don't really care about NFL football the way we do. That should've been obvious, but so far, so good.

It's a ballsy move by LA and if Miller plays great and they win it all then they'll be celebrated for their aggressiveness and if he doesn't and they don't then they will soon be holding their own

I'm not a big fan of the league office and what they've done to force two square teams into a big, round hole out there. So far, the guys in the league office are straining their rotator cuffs patting themselves on the back for their vision, blah, blah, blah, and it's really worked well for them in the early returns. Two pretty-good blue and gold teams carpetbagged from their low-rent fanbases in a massive, glitzy football palace that cost more than 25 times what Gillette stadium did.

What we saw Sunday with Patriots fans outnumbering Chargers fans was really interesting to me. If (when) the Rams go into a tailspin you'll have a really hard time putting people in those seats.

The league is heavily invested in this whole deal and I'll be watching carefully for evidence that the refs are giving the LA teams a little help. Nothing would make me happier than to see it all blow up in their faces, because people out there don't really care about NFL football the way we do. That should've been obvious, but so far, so good.
Great thoughts

It's the greed. That's all Goodell cares about. His cut of the greed pie.

Only Goodell will try to sell the idea that a crap market like LA needs two teams and the stadiums will always be sold out. Hilariously wrong for the long term. Owners actually chipped in to loan Kroenke his portion of the money.

They'd rather take the risk of the not having sold out stadiums and just take advantage of eyeballs on the tv screens because that's where the money is anyway. Two of the scummiest, cheapest owners in the league have joined forces in LA. A match made in heaven for Goodell and the NFL.

What we saw Sunday with Patriots fans outnumbering Chargers fans was really interesting to me.
I saw a report that had Patriots fans making up 63% of the crowd at Sunday's game... I could certainly hear great support for the Patriots during the course of that game as well.

The flip side of my critique of the deal is that if he's a rental and walks, he may net them a compensatory pick...but do you think if he signs elsewhere he's likely to be in the top 35% of players? I certainly don't think it'd be in the 3rd round range (top 5%), or even top 10% to be in the 4th round range.

I dunno. The compensatory pick process is super-messy. But the strategy of trading draft picks for players in bulk makes a little more sense if you're also counting on gaming the compensatory pick system to make up at least some of the lost selections.

The flip side of my critique of the deal is that if he's a rental and walks, he may net them a compensatory pick...but do you think if he signs elsewhere he's likely to be in the top 35% of players? I certainly don't think it'd be in the 3rd round range (top 5%), or even top 10% to be in the 4th round range.

I dunno. The compensatory pick process is super-messy. But the strategy of trading draft picks for players in bulk makes a little more sense if you're also counting on gaming the compensatory pick system to make up at least some of the lost selections.
Whom do we know who has done just that?

Cheers

The league will do everything in its power to ensue an LA team is in the SB. It really doesn't matter if the seats are LA fans as the TV market share is huge in LA even if they only get 30 %. It's why the league put 2 teams out there. Mega money for everyone.

Back