Week 8 Gamete Thread - Chargers

I agree. It would explain why it was such a bloodbath last season. Of course I don't expect it to be as fun as last year, but I definitely like Pats' chances match up-wise.

Looking forward to it!
Why does it have to be smack dab in our town's Halloween hours? Oh well the wife can man the door :LOL:

Why does it have to be smack dab in our town's Halloween hours? Oh well the wife can man the door :LOL:
haha

I said the same thing to the gf. I was like "you're on your own!" I'll be in the yard with the firepit going.

Put on your reading glasses and put your feet up for this, it's long, complicated and detailed.
Evan Lazar does what he does best with this game plan against the Chargers.
Have google search close at hand. May as well take notes. Probably should.
Hint: Both coaches will give a clinic on creating huge differences in what each QB sees in pre-snap formations vs post-snap movement.
5 mins in, I took advil.

Last edited:
Put on your reading glasses and put your feet up for this, it's long, complicated and detailed.
Hint: Both coaches will give a clinic on creating huge differences in what each QB sees in pre-snap formations vs post-snap movement.
5 mins in, I took advil.

Appreciate the article. To be honest with you, with their poor run D and our two TEs, I'm not sure post snap reads are all that vital, even if true with what Mac Jones confirms about their pass D. This screams straightforward gameplan of running it a lot and using playaction to have guys be wide open.

Baltimore and Cleveland have good TEs like we do and using 2 at the same time is a problem. As the team comes with a crispness and efficiency, the run game and playaction should allow for McDaniels to have a field day.

If we had a weak run game or a middling one, I'd be a bit more concerned, but the line seems to be getting healthier and settling in and all the players on offense are chipping in. I can NE putting up 30 points here.

On D, I can see using some of the stuff we used on Brady on Herbert, And, if Ekeler can't go? That would be a bonus.

I do think it's odd the national pundits think this is a win for LA. I feel pretty good about this game.

Last edited:
The more I look at Herbert as a player, the more I think it's that Mahomes skill set, where you just don't want him bouncing right and buying time and making an "easy" throw downfield. This may have already been mentioned in this thread or somewhere else about "lane discipline" or containment, and I think this is it. The strong side guys of Guy/Van Noy or Judon, they need to flip wide on the rush and just hold that position so he can't bounce out to make an athletic play downfield.

The Pats are very good with this kind of gameplan and have the horses to slow their very nice, balanced offense down.

The more I look at Herbert as a player, the more I think it's that Mahomes skill set, where you just don't want him bouncing right and buying time and making an "easy" throw downfield. This may have already been mentioned in this thread or somewhere else about "lane discipline" or containment, and I think this is it. The strong side guys of Guy/Van Noy or Judon, they need to flip wide on the rush and just hold that position so he can't bounce out to make an athletic play downfield.

The Pats are very good with this kind of gameplan and have the horses to slow their very nice, balanced offense down.

umm....

Set the edge.

5 mins in, I took advil.

View: https://twitter.com/nflmatchup/status/1454138460596424704?s=21

Chargers RB Austin Ekeler missed practice again yesterday.
If he can’t go Sunday that will be a huge loss for the Chargers ground game.
He is their only RB with over 60 yds this season.

This is way more interesting than any of the talking heads yelling at each other about bulletin board material or other nonsense.
It’s also a good sign in general because Brady shreds zone as well. If you can get to a point where teams don’t ever throw a zone look at you because you are really good with accuracy and timing with your wrs running crisp routes, and you know it’s man on every snap, you can check into a lot of run plays with the defenders backs to the line of scrimmage. It allows you dictate playcalling as an offense.

And then off the run game consistency comes playaction to beat man coverage, assuming the defense has the horses to play good man coverage.

Once he gets to a point when he can dictate consistently and get more autonomy like BB gave Brady, that’s when we’ll probably see him go to another level.

I think that this should be an Uche game. He has the perfect skill set that we'd need for this game. If he's still not used much, IMO it says a lot about Bill not trusting him in certain ways - my best guess would be lane discipline and/or setting the edge. He might have developed big eyes for the sack, and need to learn to reign it in.

We have a decent history of this certain high-profile players around here over the years.

I think that this should be an Uche game. He has the perfect skill set that we'd need for this game. If he's still not used much, IMO it says a lot about Bill not trusting him in certain ways - my best guess would be lane discipline and/or setting the edge. He might have developed big eyes for the sack, and need to learn to reign it in.

We have a decent history of this certain high-profile players around here over the years.
Are you talking about his speed into the flat (vs Ekeler as a receiver) almost like a spy and/or pass rushing? WHat you described is what happened to Winowich. I was surprised at both picks because they are small in frame (Wino's added some lbs) and therefore not 3-4 players. They're 4-3 hands in the dirt guys, but are now learning more 3-4 concepts.

GAMEDAY!
let's hope for a few tricks for the lac, and
treats for us pats fans!

Trick Or Treat Dance GIF by DOMCAKE

Cosell speaks about Mac Jones and then he speaks about the Chargers game starting at the 12 min mark.

Disciplined last week and inactive against the Jete?

I expect a huge game from RB R. Stevenson today.

4. Rhamondre's lesson: One of the Patriots' surprises last week was making rookie running back Rhamondre Stevenson a healthy scratch after his best game of the season the week prior against Dallas (five carries, 23 yards, TD and three catches for 39 yards). J.J. Taylor got the nod in his place. Those decisions are made by coach Bill Belichick, and veteran running backs coach Ivan Fears hinted that Stevenson didn't have a great week of practice/preparation and is still learning what it means to be a pro (e.g. the decision to deactivate him was discipline-based). Stevenson's potential reemergence is one notable storyline against the Chargers, who have allowed the most rushing yards per game (162.5) and yards per rush (5.5) this season.

Quick Hit Thoughts

Back