Week 8 Gamete Thread - Chargers

It's not necessarily me needing to know details, just does ANYONE know what that could be for any player on the injury report with such a designation. Clearly, nobody has an idea.
If the others trying to respond to you are on the same page I am we are trying to tell you that BB is likely fucking with the league.

Their Run D is not good. The key will be what it always is: Good, long drives, run the ball and don't turn it over. LA gets by with a good offense and QB that tries to control the clock on their side. If NE can get a turnover and not turn it over, our run game should be the difference. Their DL grades out pretty low vs the run. It's a big advantage for the Pats.

The Browns ran amuck all over them as did Baltimore.

I wouldn't put the Skins or Raiders run games above ours.

Their pass rush isn't very good either. Tillery and Covington are among the worst pass rushing DTs in the league. They have 1 guy who forces extra attention, Joey Bosa. Give him the attention he deserves. At the 2nd level, PA should keep LBs Drue Tranquill & Ken Murray from blitzing often and you can be sure they'll be targeted on run fits. S Derwin James always brings trouble to opponents. So they have 4 guys to give a little extra focus to for our blockers.

They have 2 good Cover CBs
CB Chris Harris is their best cover guy. He's also their best tackler.
CB Tevaughn Campbell covers well but he can't/won't put himself in harm's way to make tackles.
CB Asante Samuel, Jr has average cover ability but his run defense is worse than Asante Sr.'s.

Opposite Joey Bosa at EDGE is Kyler Fackrell who pass rushes well enough but his run defense is average and his tackling ability is god awful. Nwosu is terrible.
Along the DL we have Jerry Tillery, Christian Covington and an aging Linval Joseph. They are average to below average players although Joseph can still pass rush effectively, just not as often as he once did.
At LB Drue Tranquill is outplaying Ken Murray by quite a bit this year. He's a tackling machine and he can cover, too.
At S, Derwin James is one the best so Mac will have to know where he is on every play.

Their best D players are:
1. EDGE Joey Bosa
2. LB Drue Tranquill
3. CB Chris Harris
4. CB Tevaughn Campbell
5. S Derwin James

The rest are pretty much jags and depth is lousy.

Keep Mac upright and we should be able to run and pass effectively on them.
The run should be effective in short yardage situations and near the goal line.
Our OL is better & stronger than their DL.

Last edited:
Their pass rush isn't very good either. Tillery and Covington are among the worst pass rushing DTs in the league. They have 1 guy who forces extra attention, Joey Bosa. Give him the attention he deserves. At the 2nd level, PA should keep LBs Drue Tranquill & Ken Murray from blitzing often and you can be sure they'll be targeted on run fits. S Derwin James always brings trouble to opponents. So they have 4 guys to give a little extra focus to for our blockers.

CB Tevaughn Campbell covers well but he can't/won't put himself in harm's way to make tackles.
CB Asante Samuel, Jr has average cover ability but his run defense is worse than Asante Sr.'s.

Opposite Joey Bosa at EDGE is Kyler Fackrell who pass rushes well enough but his run defense is average and his tackling ability is god awful. Nwosu is terrible.
Along the DL we have Jerry Tillery, Christian Covington and an aging Linval Joseph. They are average to below average players although Joseph can still pass rush effectively, just not as often as he once did.
At LB Drue Tranquill is outplaying Ken Murray by quite a bit this year. He's a tackling machine and he can cover, too.
At S, Derwin James is one the best so Mac will have to know where he is on every play.

1. EDGE Joey Bosa
2. LB Drue Tranquill
3. CB Chris Harris
4. CB Tevaughn Campbell
5. S Derwin James

Good stuff. I would love to have Chris Harris here. He's older now, but seems to be holding up pretty well. He just does his job, can play with all but the extreme high-end WRs, and has no specific weaknesses in his game that an OC can count on exploiting. Tough, steady, not scared to be physical, dependable, and flexible. Hard to judge without really close analysis, but to my eyes he plays smart, too. He's not necessarily a shutdown CB1, but can get you by as a CB1 if needed and would be a dream as a CB2.

A comp in terms of style would be...a discount Ty Law, maybe? Actually, better might be a more consistent Logan Ryan with slightly better coverage skills, or Devin McCourty early in his career when he played CB, but he doesn't have DMac's high-end top straight-line speed. At this point in his career, he's probably lost some of his quick-twitch, too. I dunno. Maybe I'd say I'd love to have had him here for the past few years. But his style of play tends to hold up a little longer than CBs who are dramatically reliant on pure physical ability.

If you're in the mood to pay top $ for a safety, Derwin James is among the best in the game. He's an underrated rising star, and he's gonna get paid in the 2023 off-season. He's not an INT machine or anything, but he's not easily fooled and is a nice support in the run game. Sound tackler. Didn't play last year, but that may have been a blessing in disguise for him. He was injured early in 2019, and when he came back his level of play showed some drop-off. Seems to be back on track now.

If the others trying to respond to you are on the same page I am we are trying to tell you that BB is likely fucking with the league.

1. EDGE Joey Bosa
2. LB Drue Tranquill
3. CB Chris Harris
4. CB Tevaughn Campbell
5. S Derwin James

Yeah, I see a lot of running and playaction being a serious problem for their D with our TEs and Meyers out of the slot. In fact, I can see our offense going off.

Austin Ekeler missed practice with a hip injury. This is odd because coming off a Bye, so this must have happened 10 days ago vs Baltimore. Something to watch the rest of the week. They're already down Bulaga (and have been) and that good looking LB out of Oklahoma, Murray, who was probably the best defender on the field last year.

1. EDGE Joey Bosa
2. LB Drue Tranquill
3. CB Chris Harris
4. CB Tevaughn Campbell
5. S Derwin James

Moving on to their offense now

Herbert is really good, that's a given but what about his receivers?
1. Keenan Allen is a top 5 route runner in the league.
2. Mike Williams is a big 6'4" 220 lb WR in his 5th year from Clemson. He went off for 165 yds and 2 TDs vs Cleveland 3 wks ago.
I didn't leave anyone out - they don't have a WR3 or WR4 other than bodies.
So take Allen and Williams out of the game! Cover Allen with JCJackson and bracket Williams like the Ravens did to limit him to 25 yds.

Iow, force Herbert to throw to his TEs.
Jared Cook has been around forever it seems. He's 6'5" 250 so he's a classic Inline TE. At 34 years old he should be fairly easy to contain.
After Cook comes Donald Parham; 6'8" 237 lbs. A freaking scarecrow. He's caught 7 passes this year for 75 yds so nothing to see there except 2 TDs. Cover him in the RZ!

That should take care of Herbert's WRs and TEs to limit his passing game.

Running game is toothless without Ekeler and now Ekeler is injured.
1. Justin Jackson has been derailed by a series of injuries although he's healthy now. But when healthy he hasn't looked good.
2. Joshua Kelley is a 2nd year player and has made little impact.
3. Larry Rountree is a rookie and still learning.

Besides all that, the right side of their OL are replacement players. Myles Garrett stuck RT Storm Norton's head in the mud more than once.

Our D should eat well on Sunday.

Better weather than Miami as well as it's a nice dry heat out there, none of the oppressive humidity.

Moving on to their offense now

Herbert is really good, that's a given but what about his receivers?
1. Keenan Allen is a top 5 route runner in the league.
2. Mike Williams is a big 6'4" 220 lb WR in his 5th year from Clemson. He went off for 165 yds and 2 TDs vs Cleveland 3 wks ago.
I didn't leave anyone out - they don't have a WR3 or WR4 other than bodies.
So take Allen and Williams out of the game! Cover Allen with JCJackson and bracket Williams like the Ravens did to limit him to 25 yds.

Iow, force Herbert to throw to his TEs.
Jared Cook has been around forever it seems. He's 6'5" 250 so he's a classic Inline TE. At 34 years old he should be fairly easy to contain.
After Cook comes Donald Parham; 6'8" 237 lbs. A freaking scarecrow. He's caught 7 passes this year for 75 yds so nothing to see there except 2 TDs. Cover him in the RZ!

That should take care of Herbert's WRs and TEs to limit his passing game.

Running game is toothless without Ekeler and now Ekeler is injured.
1. Justin Jackson has been derailed by a series of injuries although he's healthy now. But when healthy he hasn't looked good.
2. Joshua Kelley is a 2nd year player and has made little impact.
3. Larry Rountree is a rookie and still learning.

Besides all that, the right side of their OL are replacement players. Myles Garrett stuck RT Storm Norton's head in the mud more than once.

Our D should eat well on Sunday.
You nailed it. Our longest/rangiest CB is JoeJuan Williams. Bracket the big WR (Williams) with him and a Safety.

JC on Allen.

I actually like these matchups. We match up well on both sides of the ball.

You nailed it. Our longest/rangiest CB is JoeJuan Williams. Bracket the big WR (Williams) with him and a Safety.

JC on Allen.

I actually like these matchups. We match up well on both sides of the ball.

I agree. It would explain why it was such a bloodbath last season. Of course I don't expect it to be as fun as last year, but I definitely like Pats' chances match up-wise.

Looking forward to it!

Back