Week 9 : Colts vs Patriots game thread

Agreed. The “Mac is our QB” hype needs a pause, because he has been downright mediocre. Perhaps it was the injury and O-line, but a lot is on him too. He doesn’t look right.
Mac IS our QB. We loved him last year and now you want to pull the plug for having a down sophomore year when even you said many times the OLine is a huge issue? Chill, grasshopper. Stay the course. He didn't suddenly forget how to play football.

Mac IS our QB. We loved him last year and now you want to pull the plug for having a down sophomore year when even you said many times the OLine is a huge issue? Chill, grasshopper. Stay the course. He didn't suddenly forget how to play football.
agree!
with the (no) O Coordinator and the O-line being what it has lately (didn't they click for a few games there after a rough start 🤷 ) I'll give Mac a break and take a wait-and-see view.
I hope he gets a real O-Coordinator eventually and the pats continue to build the talent level of the team.
Everyone had Tua as a bust and when he suddenly has tons of talent around him, he's suddenly really good ? not a hard one to figure out there.

can I add here that I just F'n hate tyreek hill (used lower case on purpose). just want to see someone lay him out. Miami has a lot of weapons, but take hill out and the dynamic changes a lot. hate to give that little sh!t credit but he does have an impact

100%

If we had to deal with an incompetent boss (Patricia), incompetent co-workers (O line) and a lengthy illness (Ankle injury) I doubt many of us would perform at the level Mac is performing. I sell shit. My "opponents", whom I know would hit me if allowed, can't actually touch me. Mac is doing this while possible being maimed.

Ease up folks. He is still the QB of the future.

agree!
with the (no) O Coordinator and the O-line being what it has lately (didn't they click for a few games there after a rough start 🤷 ) I'll give Mac a break and take a wait-and-see view.
I hope he gets a real O-Coordinator eventually and the pats continue to build the talent level of the team.
Everyone had Tua as a bust and when he suddenly has tons of talent around him, he's suddenly really good ? not a hard one to figure out there.

can I add here that I just F'n hate tyreek hill (used lower case on purpose). just want to see someone lay him out. Miami has a lot of weapons, but take hill out and the dynamic changes a lot. hate to give that little sh!t credit but he does have an impact
He's a POS, but, he's one of the best (if not the best) WR's in the NFL.

Mac has been flat out bad. I think he’s got a wide Tony Eason streak in him. Beyond the first read he acts like he wants to jump out of his skin.
Not to mention his reaction to a sprained ankle was shameful. You’d think he just had his leg torn off. Flat out bawling. Can’t stand his soft spoken press demeanor either.

Yeah, I don’t agree with this. Mac has been mediocre, but there are extenuating circumstances, particular his O-line, which have been more of an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It’s more along the lines of “He’s our QB, and he needs to improve and stop the bad habits he’s regressed into this year.”
Jerry’s article nailed this. He’s locking into one receiver, depending way too much on ‘Mondre, and scrambling when he doesn’t need to.

But the aw, shucks, he’s our QB! talk is a bit… too rose-colored when he’s playing at a mediocre level at the moment.

It’s more along the lines of “He’s our QB, and he needs to improve and stop the bad habits he’s regressed into this year.”
Jerry’s article nailed this. He’s locking into one receiver, depending way too much on ‘Mondre, and scrambling when he doesn’t need to.

But the aw, shucks, he’s our QB! talk is a bit… too rose-colored when he’s playing at a mediocre level at the moment.

It ain't him. It is everything else several of us have outlined. We all would suck if we had to produce at work with the negative aspects he is dealing with. We need a real OC to start with. O Line coach might be a good idea too.

Wonder who that means we can let go?

Last edited:
Very worrying to hear about the fans. The fans took a lot of flack after the Bears game for chanting Zappe"s name but there's a reason many fans feel this way. Zappe gave them something to cheer, simple as. Fans liked what they saw with his movement in the pocket, his vision and the spread of receivers used. He brought a buzz to that offense. It can't be denied. We all love Mac, but he's not mentally there at the moment. There is no way this is not worrying Bill and co.

I can see the logic in riding and dying with Mac. That it's the right thing to do in the overall.

I have seen him do enough really impressive things to believe that he will become an excellent NFL QB, but I'm at a loss to quite explain just how shaky he looks on the field. Maybe he really does have a bad case of the yips and he can't keep his anxiety level under control at the moment. He does not appear cool under fire and even though he is standing in there and taking the beatings like a man, that doesn't mean that his Central Nervous System isn't overloading. He says he's fine, but maybe he isn't.

I am not qualified to state this opinion, but even when he has time he isn't finding guys. Or he doesn't trust his reads. Or something. This also manifests in his taking off running at times. A lack of judgement thing. I do believe he will get it sorted out, but right now his extended slump is testing all of us. All of us except the people that already want to pull the plug on his career.

I concede it's hard to know what the right thing to do is. I don't want to see him looking so lost, but I also want to give him plenty of opportunity to work his way out of it.

Having said that, if I found out that Bill had decided to pull Mac at Halftime due to his ankle getting tweaked then I would have privately been excited to see if Zappe could have done better and show more of the good stuff he demonstrated a few weeks back. I can take the intelligent long-view and be understanding of why he might be struggling or I can react like a fan who spent his money to watch a dreadfully dull display of Offensive football, even by our typically conservative standards, and was getting impatient.

I was not happy with the guy behind me screaming ZAPP-EEE!!!! over and over, but I have to admit a part of me wonders whether that guy is right.

I was not happy with the guy behind me screaming ZAPP-EEE!!!! over and over, but I have to admit a part of me wonders whether that guy is right.

Well, you can agree with the guy yelling "ZAPP-EEE!!!" behind you or the greatest HC coach of all time.

Up to you.

Last edited:
Guys, a bad workman always blames his tools. You can’t say none of this is down to Mac, that it’s all Matty P’s fault, the O Line, the receivers etc etc. he does carry some of the blame. Zappe was able to get more out of the same players Mac has been playing with.

I want Mac to succeed as much as anyone, he has the tools. The brain, the drive, the athletic ability etc. he has everything. But at the moment, something is off. Even his most ardent fans have to admit this.

Guys, a bad workman always blames his tools. You can’t say none of this is down to Mac, that it’s all Matty P’s fault, the O Line, the receivers etc etc. he does carry some of the blame. Zappe was able to get more out of the same players Mac has been playing with.

I want Mac to succeed as much as anyone, he has the tools. The brain, the drive, the athletic ability etc. he has everything. But at the moment, something is off. Even his most ardent fans have to admit this.

It’s clearly all three issues (Mac’s regression, O-line, and play calling), but according to some, Mac isn’t having issues.

It’s clearly all three issues (Mac’s regression, O-line, and play calling), but according to some, Mac isn’t having issues.

No. Not what some of us are say at all.

Put bad gas in a corvette and it will run poorly. The car will not perform as well as it could. The engine will not be putting out the ideal horsepower and torque.

The stats that engine will show that it is performing poorly.

This is exactly what’s happening with Matt Jones. In both cases, the subject at hand is performing poorly.

To ignore why is folly. Replace the bad gas in the Corvette and performance will improve dramatically.

Do you tear out the engine or replace the bad gas?

Cause and effect.

The patriots have been stuffing bad gas in Mac Jones’ tank all season. I won’t even repeat myself by saying it was the poor O line play and tragically bad play calling.

Oh wait… 😬

Put bad gas in a corvette and it will run poorly. The car will not perform as well as it could. The engine will not be putting out the ideal horsepower and torque.

This is exactly what’s happening with Matt Jones. In both cases, the subject at hand is performing poorly.

To ignore why is folly. Replace the bad gas in the Corvette and performance will improve dramatically.

Cause and effect.

The patriots have been stuffing bad gas in Mac Jones’ tank all season. I won’t even repeat myself by saying it was the poor O line play and tragically bad play calling.

Oh wait… 😬

Mate, you can’t absolve Mac from any blame. Mike Reiss in point 3 below highlights the issues in that last game, bad errors and misses by the QB. the gas in the engine is the same as before, it's the mechanics around the car that may be faltering and not putting the car in the best position. That might be a better metaphor?

View: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1589944616408604673

Mate, you can’t absolve Mac from any blame. Mike Reiss in point 3 below highlights the issues in that last game, bad errors and misses by the QB. the gas in the engine is the same as before, it's the mechanics around the car that may be faltering and not putting the car in the best position. That might be a better metaphor?

View: https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/1589944616408604673

If the play calling is the gas then that is a great metaphor.

I am not saying Mac has not played poorly. He has. But just like the Corvette engine there are reasons. The poor play calling and awful O line play is not a result of Mac Jones poor play. Quite the opposite in fact. SO YES, Mac has played poorly at times. "Why?" is the question and the answers are obvious.

Reiss pointed out a few of Mac's misses yesterday in that Tweet. Not hard to do. Not hard to do for almost any QB almost any game. How many QB's played worse that Mac yesterday? A lot. Most in fact. His line from yesterday's game:

1667914631111.png

Not a bad line especially with a dominant D of your own and going against a very good D. That is an awesome line when you take into consideration the deficiencies elsewhere in this offense.

Last edited:
Mac Jones hasn’t played good football in close to a year. There are always extenuating circumstances you can point to. Fact remains he’s been bad for a long enough stretch now to begin to draw some conclusions.
This ain’t a blip on the radar.

Cause and effect.

Oh wait… 😬
So amusing reading this when River and I kept saying all off-season that Bill was surrounding Mac with junk at the OC position.

It absolutely is the reason when Joe Judge coached Daniel Jones and the Lions were pathetic with Patricia and Rothstein. The offensive staff sucks.

It’s very simple. The Pats offense works best with dink and dunk plays. Zappe was getting those. Mac was getting sh-ttier plays that made no sense, slow developing vertical plays behind a terrible OLine. Give Mac the same plays Zappe got. Get the ball out in 2 seconds. More snaps under center. Ditch the crappy shotgun. Add more play action. Involve the tight ends more. Do not the ball over. Dink and dink all game long and feed Mondre.

Back