Week 9 Gamete thread: @ Carolina

Different people have different likes and dislikes.

Pierce Sheridan GIF by One Day At A Time
Well, they get paid to get it right. Brutal.

BB is accused of being "the smartest guy in the room (which he is)", but what about all these soup du jour hotshots that come into the league without a resume that drop the ball this badly?

I mean, Shanahan and Lynch are finished in SF.

I'm moderately concerned about Carolina's defence, which I consider to be very good and improving quickly.

I don't think our D will struggle with their offense, but if CMc is good to go...that is the sort of back we've struggled some with historically.

But I have to admit I don't know Carolina nearly as well as other recent opponents.

Yeah, I'm concerned, too. I plan on studying up on them tomorrow.
I'm not that worried about them but I know next to nothing about them.
Maybe I should be worried.

They have Thompson and Chinn at Safety who are the problematic players and now Gilmore. They're not that great, honestly. They struggled with the Jets and other teams as well, including Atlanta last week.

They're down there with the Chiefs and Titans at about 4.5 yards per carry. Tied for 6th in Rush TDs allowed and allow on passer rating of 88.4 vs opposing QBs. They've played the Jets, Falcons, Saints, Texans, Cowboys, Vikings and Giants. They got blasted by the Giants 2 weeks ago 25-3.

They're a rebuilding club.
I dunno. Again, I haven't spent much time on them, but the stats I see tell a different story.

They're 30th in the league in opponent's average drive start, yet 4th in opponent's points per drive. They're 1st in opponent's average time per drive and plays per drive, and 2nd in opponent's yards per drive. And all that without short circuiting many drives with turnovers: they're 26th in the league at TO%. Sounds like not a defense that will kill you on the big play, but like one that puts out an ice storm and just freezes you out.

Not sure what happened against NYG, but the rest of their losing streak was driven by a spurt of multiple turnover games - their only 3 games. Still, they pounded NO and took Dallas to a 1 score game.

Again, this is just at a glance, but I'm interested...

a player can be praised by another staff without their feeling he'd be the answer for their own team...🤷‍♀️

True enough. Plus, we've seen our own HC lay it on thick when talking about other team's players and not all of
them deserve the royal treatment. Rhule passed Mac by, so it's a little weird for him to be going overboard now, but
he's still trying to figure out how this HC thing works. Maybe next time, he'll get sloppy over somebody that he
didn't have a chance to draft. You know, avoid calling attention to his own bad move.

It'd be like Bill before a Titans game saying "Boy, that AJ Brown is one hell of a player, isn't he? I don't know where
they got him from, but I wish I'd had the chance to draft a big receiver like that."

I'm moderately concerned about Carolina's defence, which I consider to be very good and improving quickly.

I don't think our D will struggle with their offense, but if CMc is good to go...that is the sort of back we've struggled some with historically.

But I have to admit I don't know Carolina nearly as well as other recent opponents.

I haven't watched them much either, but their stats say that they're one of the better Ds in the league in yards and points-- particularly against
the air game, but they aren't terrible on the ground, either. I'm not saying we should be worried about playing them, but they aren't a bunch of scrubs.

There are high draft picks sprinkled through the whole D: Derrick Brown, Brian Burns, Yetur Gross-Matos, Hasson Reddick, Shaq Thompson,
Donte Jackson and Jeremy Chinn are all 1st or 2nd rounders. Reddick gets a ton of pressures and Burns can be hard to handle.

True enough. Plus, we've seen our own HC lay it on thick when talking about other team's players and not all of
them deserve the royal treatment. Rhule passed Mac by, so it's a little weird for him to be going overboard now, but
he's still trying to figure out how this HC thing works. Maybe next time, he'll get sloppy over somebody that he
didn't have a chance to draft. You know, avoid calling attention to his own bad move.

It'd be like Bill before a Titans game saying "Boy, that AJ Brown is one hell of a player, isn't he? I don't know where
they got him from, but I wish I'd had the chance to draft a big receiver like that."

I haven't watched them much either, but their stats say that they're one of the better Ds in the league in yards and points-- particularly against
the air game, but they aren't terrible on the ground, either. I'm not saying we should be worried about playing them, but they aren't a bunch of scrubs.

There are high draft picks sprinkled through the whole D: Derrick Brown, Brian Burns, Yetur Gross-Matos, Hasson Reddick, Shaq Thompson,
Donte Jackson and Jeremy Chinn are all 1st or 2nd rounders. Reddick gets a ton of pressures and Burns can be hard to handle.

The ones bolded are the ones who change a possession easily. Especially Shaq and Derrick.

I will say on offense if Darnold plays, besides the McCaffrey factor, DJ Moore scares me. He's good. Robby Anderson is obviously a good player with has the dropsies. I'd rather they put JC Jackson on Moore and let Mills or Joe Juan Williams work on Anderson.

I have to admit it did make me scratch my head when I read what you posted, the article, so far as the praise.

HSanders that is true, I hadn't thought of that.

I think down the road Mac might make other clubs scratch their heads wondering why they didn't take a chance on him if they haven't already.
I think a lot of teams will be examining how they evaluate the QB position after this season, none more than the 49ers. I truly believe they moved up with the intention of selecting Mac, and basically let certain elements of the League and media talk them out of it. When you hear about Lance it all sounds great, but how you can make the leap between what he did in college to to pros and come away thinking he should be the 3rd pick in the draft is beyond me.

I think a lot of teams will be examining how they evaluate the QB position after this season, none more than the 49ers. I truly believe they moved up with the intention of selecting Mac, and basically let certain elements of the League and media talk them out of it. When you hear about Lance it all sounds great, but how you can make the leap between what he did in college to to pros and come away thinking he should be the 3rd pick in the draft is beyond me.
I did think Mac was going to San Fran.

And as for the bold part, absolutely.

Last edited:
I will say on offense if Darnold plays, besides the McCaffrey factor, DJ Moore scares me. He's good. Robby Anderson is obviously a good player with has the dropsies. I'd rather they put JC Jackson on Moore and let Mills or Joe Juan Williams work on Anderson.

Moore is a very good receiver as is Robby Anderson. But overall their offense has been lackluster this year & scored only 17 pts/game the last month without McCaffrey in the lineup. BB will try to take him away if he plays. Their O doesn't scare me very much.

Their D, otoh, has been tough & kept them in games.

Our O will be tested, our D should feast if McCaffrey is slowed.

Looks like McCaffrey is playing

FDYAt62WEAsFT0m

Yet he picked Carolina. No thanks. Honestly, I was never a fan. Even his comments today are too much about himself for my liking.

I admired his game & I wanted him. He was the Jets best skill player and a nuanced route runner. His releases from the LOS are sudden and explosive. Once off, he has the speed to gain ground on his defender quickly. At the top of his stem he sinks his hips and gets into his breaks quickly. No rounding off. His breaks are clean and sudden. He had good soft hands back then but I haven't watched him play recently. Few balls get to his body. He tracks balls very well and has great sideline awareness with better than avg toe tap ability. He gives good effort to high point the ball although he won't win many contested catches. He has excellent vision as a runner & rarely gets hit directly but he does go down easily bc of his slight frame. Even so, he gets plenty of YAC through vision, speed and elusiveness. I wanted him a lot and thought he'd add a lot to our WR corps. I can't blame him for wanting to leave the Jets. Smart.

I admired his game & I wanted him. He was the Jets best skill player and a nuanced route runner. His releases from the LOS are sudden and explosive. Once off, he has the speed to gain ground on his defender quickly. At the top of his stem he sinks his hips and gets into his breaks quickly. No rounding off. His breaks are clean and sudden. He had good soft hands back then but I haven't watched him play recently. Few balls get to his body. He tracks balls very well and has great sideline awareness with better than avg toe tap ability. He gives good effort to high point the ball although he won't win many contested catches. He has excellent vision as a runner & rarely gets hit directly but he does go down easily bc of his slight frame. Even so, he gets plenty of YAC through vision, speed and elusiveness. I wanted him a lot and thought he'd add a lot to our WR corps. I can't blame him for wanting to leave the Jets. Smart.
I generally agree, but has a lot of drops and he's clearly not a winner if he actually chose Carolina over NE. He's afraid to win. A lot of guys are like this. I only want guys here who have balls and want to be coached hard to win.

every time i hear his name i think of this....EVERY.TIME.😄

But the craziest part of the story ... when Anderson was being transported to the police dept., the police report says, "that when he got out he was going to find my wife, f*ck her and nut in her eye."

"He continued to make other verbal threats towards my family. Based on his statements it was clear that he intended to sexually assault my wife."

"He also began to brag about how much money he has and how all I was doing was trying to do is 'Ruin his fun.'"

every time i hear his name i think of this....EVERY.TIME.😄

Hard to know if he was just drunk and pissed or if he's a real whack job. You have no idea how much I'd love to have access to the psych testing results for NFL players.
I'll bet there are many more criminal types than we think. Damn, that was funny and SOJ.

Back