Week 9 Gamete thread: @ Carolina

Matt Ruhle described Sam Darnold as "extremely limited" and McCaffrey as "very limited" in today's practice.
McCaffrey has been out since week 3 with a hammy.
My .02 is they both play and try to play. What happens from there, who knows.

Matt Ruhle described Sam Darnold as "extremely limited" and McCaffrey as "very limited" in today's practice.
McCaffrey has been out since week 3 with a hammy.

If there is a star on the opposing team that is missing practice or limited, I always assume that they'll play
like they are perfectly healthy. Like T.O. playing with a broken leg or whatever it was in that Super Bowl and he
just went nuts on us.

McCaffrey is just a gamer and I'm sure he'll give us fits. Last week when I heard "hip" for Ekeler I knew better than
to think he'd be limited and the guy played like who he is-- maybe the strongest player for his size in the NFL. He
does chin-ups with one arm, which is insane.

Darnold hasn't exactly been lighting it up over the last few weeks and I hope he is good to go. He just doesn't see
the field like he should at this point of his career. If he turns out to be a dependable franchise QB for them then I'll
be very surprised.

As an aside, Carolina has some nice linebackers, but it still seems strange to me to be facing the Panthers without
Luke Keuchly and Thomas Davis. Friggin' monsters.

Also, Josh needs to convince Mac to just skip whatever guy Gilmore is covering even if he falls down on the play. Nobody was
better at baiting young QBs and you can bet that he'll be dying to have a big game against us. Mac isn't afraid of
anybody, but Gilmore is one tricky dude. Do NOT let him beat us.

Gilmore doesn't state what exactly NE did wrong handling his injury after he admits he wasn't ready to start the season....SMH....We get it, Stephon, you got hurt and then didn't get Xavien Howard money like you thought you should have gotten. BB does this guy a favor by trading him to his hometown team and he still acts like a victim after being rescued from Buffalo.

I'd be happy to NOT face McCaffrey but it will be what it will be (or is, or something like that)
from Panthers perspective I'd take it slow with him. Dynamic player but injuries just killing him, and is a (seemingly) another example of an RB getting paid and then not able to live up to the money due to the wear and tear it took to get to that point. Love the player but can he stay healthy.

I'd be happy to NOT face McCaffrey but it will be what it will be (or is, or something like that)
from Panthers perspective I'd take it slow with him. Dynamic player but injuries just killing him, and is a (seemingly) another example of an RB getting paid and then not able to live up to the money due to the wear and tear it took to get to that point. Love the player but can he stay healthy.
He has mad skills, but, he's fragile.

haha

Controlled Area For Relocated Yankee (Republicans)

Tell them to go to Capri Flavors. Killer Italian food products at restaurant distribution prices.
nope. mt fam is NC are libs.

I am the escaped MassHole....living in Michigan....

He has mad skills, but, he's fragile.
When he's healthy he can take a game over by himself, I'd rather he be on the bench for this one. Other than that, so long as we continue to avoid multiple turnovers we should take this one. If this team is going to continue to move in the right direction we need to.

It didn't help him that they used him mercifully and on occassions they didn't need to. He has such a high contract I wonder if that is why but at the end of the day they have a beast that is wearing down and part of it is due to how they manage him.

I have fun watching him, he reminds me of Jules in some ways.

Wow. Matt Rhule is now claiming he knew all alone Mac Jones would be great, but he absorbed Darnold's awful contract and wasted a pick to do so? Do these organizations ever make any sense?

Carolina drafted in front of NE.

Wow. Matt Rhule is now claiming he knew all alone Mac Jones would be great, but he absorbed Darnold's awful contract and wasted a pick to do so? Do these organizations ever make any sense?

I have to admit it did make me scratch my head when I read what you posted, the article, so far as the praise.
a player can be praised by another staff without their feeling he'd be the answer for their own team...🤷‍♀️

HSanders that is true, I hadn't thought of that.

I think down the road Mac might make other clubs scratch their heads wondering why they didn't take a chance on him if they haven't already.

I think that would have been GM Scott Fitterer who made the trade for Darnold. He was the Seahawks' Director of Player Personnel when Darnold was drafted and he and the Seahawks probably liked Darnold a lot. Darnold's experience in the NFL was likely important over any of the rookies. Plus, it's easy to see why one might think Adam Gase had a negative impact on Darnold's development after seeing Tannehill blossom in Tennessee.

I think that would have been GM Scott Fitterer who made the trade for Darnold. He was the Seahawks' Director of Player Personnel when Darnold was drafted and he and the Seahawks probably liked Darnold a lot. Darnold's experience in the NFL was likely important over any of the rookies. Plus, it's easy to see why one might think Adam Gase had a negative impact on Darnold's development after seeing Tannehill blossom in Tennessee.
Tannehill turd blossom... :coffee:

I saw Rhule drooling over Darnold in the offseason. So, maybe it was both.

I think it's just weird someone would believe in Sam Darnold, a guy that with that much NFL tape on him to know he's not going to make it, and a guy who had a down senior season at USC, but also claims he knew Mac would be great. Talk about a dead man walking in Carolina.

It's sort of this strange arrogance these people have where he's basically saying "well, I am a better coach than what they had in NY and I will fix him", but Carolina also paid a lot more than would have to get Mac Jones, so it just makes no sense.

The other thing is, Darnold wasn't even Rhule's first choice, it was Watson.

So Carolina could have used the 8th overall and kept additional draft picks, while not paying a bust 20 million in 2022 and then watching him possibly leave in 2023.

These are the kinds of public comments, IMO, that sink GMs and Coaches.

a player can be praised by another staff without their feeling he'd be the answer for their own team...🤷‍♀️
Right, but why would you not take Mac Jones at 8 if you KNEW he was going to be great? I am not saying he can't compliment, I am saying he's a moron for not trusting his instincts. he fancies himself as some QB guru and he chose Darnold over Mac Jones. It's just mindnumbing. One guy had a bad senior year and then went to the Jets and makes too much and one guy won a title at Bama and beat out a 5 star recruit in the process.

Word is they wanted Watson and tried to get him and then settled on Darnold. This means he thought Darnold was better than Mac Jones as a rookie.

Right, but why would you not take Mac Jones at 8 if you KNEW he was going to be great? I am not saying he can't compliment, I am saying he's a moron for not trusting his instincts. he fancies himself as some QB guru and he chose Darnold over Mac Jones. It's just mindnumbing. One guy had a bad senior year and then went to the Jets and makes too much and one guy won a title at Bama and beat out a 5 star recruit in the process.

Word is they wanted Watson and tried to get him and then settled on Darnold. This means he thought Darnold was better than Mac Jones as a rookie.

It is what it is. No need to fret over it. And there's no explaining their decision.

I'm counting my blessings, personally.

I'm moderately concerned about Carolina's defence, which I consider to be very good and improving quickly.

I don't think our D will struggle with their offense, but if CMc is good to go...that is the sort of back we've struggled some with historically.

But I have to admit I don't know Carolina nearly as well as other recent opponents.

It is what it is. No need to fret over it. And there's no explaining their decision.

I'm counting my blessings, personally.
I know, that's what I m saying. Isn't it just amazing how teams do this self-convincing of certain things that somehow magically make sense only to them? It's like the Trey Lance/Zach Wilson spin job heading into the draft. And, people bought it!

I'm moderately concerned about Carolina's defence, which I consider to be very good and improving quickly.

I don't think our D will struggle with their offense, but if CMc is good to go...that is the sort of back we've struggled some with historically.

But I have to admit I don't know Carolina nearly as well as other recent opponents.
They have Thompson and Chinn at Safety who are the problematic players and now Gilmore. They're not that great, honestly. They struggled with the Jets and other teams as well, including Atlanta last week.

They're down there with the Chiefs and Titans at about 4.5 yards per carry. Tied for 6th in Rush TDs allowed and allow on passer rating of 88.4 vs opposing QBs. They've played the Jets, Falcons, Saints, Texans, Cowboys, Vikings and Giants. They got blasted by the Giants 2 weeks ago 25-3.

They're a rebuilding club.

I know, that's what I m saying. Isn't it just amazing how teams do this self-convincing of certain things that somehow magically make sense only to them? It's like the Trey Lance/Zach Wilson spin job heading into the draft. And, people bought it!

Different people have different likes and dislikes.

Pierce Sheridan GIF by One Day At A Time

Back