We're on to Houston/Oakland/Miami

bideau

Offering friendly advice
Reaction score
May as well start with this quote from Brady's weekly interview on WEEI.

"This is a huge week. This is a get-ahead week; this isn't a bye week."

what's cool is that the pats have already played 3 of their 5 possible playoff opponents this year, so that should help.

what's cool is that the pats have already played 3 of their 5 possible playoff opponents this year, so that should help.

The steelers are not the same team without the rapist. Although, even with him they are still not good enough.

jones actually looked fairly competent yesterday, fwiw. at least pats have played ben enough that they know the deal.

jones actually looked fairly competent yesterday, fwiw. at least pats have played ben enough that they know the deal.

You are correct. I don't like the steelers chances, especially coming up here. As a matter of fact I am not crazy about their chances going to arrowhead.

You are correct. I don't like the steelers chances, especially coming up here. As a matter of fact I am not crazy about their chances going to arrowhead.

I'm not excited about their chances against Miami at home. JAG Ajayi will chew up that soft defense.

I'm not excited about their chances against Miami at home. JAG Ajayi will chew up that soft defense.

Ajayi ran all over them in the regular season game. And their D injured Ben in that game. If Ben holds the ball which he will then that D will get to him.

This is not a great match up for the Steelers. I do wonder though if the Pats may have broke the Fins will. Gase said they were using our game as a measuring stick to see how good they were. Basically found out they were garbage. But garbage may be enough to beat that horrible Pitt D.

Patriots finished in the top 10 in every category...

Turnover differential

Final: 3rd -- Plus-12 (23 takeaways, 11 giveaways)

Last week: Tied-3rd -- Plus-10 (21 takeaways, 11 giveaways)

Red-zone offense

Final: 8th (60 trips, 38 touchdowns)

Last week: 8th (56 trips, 35 touchdowns)

Red-zone defense

Final: Tied-8th (44 trips, 23 touchdowns)

Last week: Tied-10th (42 trips, 22 touchdowns)

Points scored

Final: 3rd (27.5)

Last week: 5th (27.1)

Points allowed

Final: 1st (15.625)

Last week: 1st (15.7)

Third-down offense

Final: 4th (104 of 227, 45.8 percent)

This week: 4th (97 of 215, 45.1 percent)

Third-down defense

Final: 7th (76 of 206, 36.9 percent)

Last week: 4th (69 of 194, 35.6 percent)

WOW, huge improvement I'd wager in 3rd down defense over the season. They were TERRIBLE early on, though they were good in RZ.

That's the biggest surprise is how good the scoring defense was. Third time belichick has had the number one scoring d as a head coach (94,03). Best team mark since 2006 (237pts or something like that) haven't been under 300 since 2009.

Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet
#Texans coach Bill O’Brien makes it official, naming Brock Osweiler the starter on Saturday vs. #Raiders.

The Steelers are probably the 2nd best team in the field (although KC has a case). All I know is the shitty Dolphins team I just saw rushed for a billionty yards vs. the Steelers a few weeks ago.

Steve Smith Sr was a guest on Mike and Mike and gave big shout outs to the Patriots defense.

"I hate to admit it, but the New England Patriots staff seems to have it all together, scouting department, they know what you're doing," Smith said on the show. "Nothing is more defeating to a wide receiver [than] when you're lined up and the corners and linebackers are saying 'Watch the dagger route! Watch the dagger route!' ... You're like 'they know the plays.'

"So you're running the route and going, 'Joe [Flacco], you better not throw this ball!' They do a great job. Their scouting department does a great job keeping you on your toes, and they take away your bread-and-butter plays."

Smith said the Matt Patricia-coordinated defense does a nice job mixing things up.

"Certain teams they play, they'll play man coverage. [But] you go back and look when they played Denver, [receiver] Emmanuel Sanders said 'They're playing a lot of cover-2.' They may follow a guy, but they're still playing cover-2. They are making you decide -- do I go deep, do I try to to throw the 'turkey hole throw?'"

Smith described the "turkey hole throw" as what happens when there are two safeties outside the hash marks/numbers and the corners pressing up and going to the curl/flat area, so the receiver releases outside with the goal of throwing between the corner and safety.

"It's right there in the turkey hole," Smith explained. "You can't throw it high. It has to be a beeline, but enough to get it over that corner or linebacker. Or the safety comes over the top and lays [you] out, a la Ronnie Lott and Don Beebe, how he used to get laid out all the time. You have to hit it right there in the turkey hole."

I've never heard it called "turkey hole" , but I have heard it called "honey hole" (the void in the cover 2 right there).

Back