We're on to Miami - Week 1 2022 Pregame

The funny part is that what bothered Holley the most was the optics. Somehow it wasn't a good look, I guess, to practice on a soccer field with rolled-in goal posts. Not sure BB gives a crap about optics.

Johnson doubled )tripled) down on his USAToday rant. He, Felger and Holley were bitching that going down a day early was okey, but 4-5 days in a row? (not sure about what in a row meant...they could have commuted daily?) When you start with the premise that EVERYTHING the Patriots do is bad, you can use anything. You just take each decision made and say it was the wrong one. Johnson was funny talking about taking players away from their families to practice with the Raiders and now this. Oh, and being demoralized by not having an official DC/OC. I'm thinking CTE and I guess it's more sad than anything.

The funny part is that what bothered Holley the most was the optics. Somehow it wasn't a good look, I guess, to practice on a soccer field with rolled-in goal posts. Not sure BB gives a crap about optics.

Johnson doubled )tripled) down on his USAToday rant. He, Felger and Holley were bitching that going down a day early was okey, but 4-5 days in a row? (not sure about what in a row meant...they could have commuted daily?) When you start with the premise that EVERYTHING the Patriots do is bad, you can use anything. You just take each decision made and say it was the wrong one. Johnson was funny talking about taking players away from their families to practice with the Raiders and now this. Oh, and being demoralized by not having an official DC/OC. I'm thinking CTE and I guess it's more sad than anything.
I think removing the players for short periods of time from family/friends is another way to get the players to gel as a team along with the acclimation aspect. This is a new team and could use time together. Hopefully they hung together and not in the clubs.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Practicing at a Division II school without football facilities and an enrollment under 5,000 would seem to be far from ideal for an NFL team preparing for its season opener.

But not the Patriots.

On Thursday, the Pats concluded their second practice at Palm Beach Atlantic University in West Palm Beach, where they’ve been gearing up for Sunday’s Week 1 showdown against the Dolphins. Coach Bill Belichick opted to fly the team south on Tuesday so it could acclimate to the rugged heat it will face in Miami, where the Patriots have lost four of their last five. Temperatures in West Palm Beach have consistently hung in the high 80s and low 90s during practice, while the humidity has ranged between 60-70%.

“Yesterday was good. It’s good to be out here in the heat, get used to it,” Pats safety Devin McCourty said Thursday of the team’s practices. “But I would say overall, it’s been, just, normal.”.

The Patriots have been practicing on repurposed soccer and lacrosse fields, which have browned in the heat and are far patchier than the manicured green fields outside Gillette Stadium. They’ve also constructed makeshift field goal posts tied down by rope and sandbags. But center David Andrews doesn’t seem to mind.

“It’s good enough. I’ve played on worse,” he said Thursday. “It is what it is. It’s obviously been good enough for me. (I) just get to play football for a living. Not bad.”

Opinions have varied whether the conditions in West Palm are markedly different from those the Patriots experienced during training camp practices in late July and early August, when Foxboro was one corner of New England suffering from an unusual heat wave. Veteran corner Jalen Mills described Wednesday’s weather as “pretty much the same,” while defensive end Deatrich Wise said it felt far different to him.

The one constant through the week has been the team’s focus on Sunday’s game.

“There’s no other distractions. It’s football,” Andrews said. “Obviously, at home you’re dealing with family, things like that, other things you got going on. Here, it’s just football. It’s nice. Obviously, you miss your family and things like that but there’s good and bad things.”

McCourty added: “That’s been the focus, and that’s what I think the focus needs to be. … We’re here to play the Dolphins on Sunday. We’ve just got to keep preparing for them.”

But does McCourty like practicing away from home?

“I’m a fan of whatever it takes to win,” he said.

Reason #1: The Miami pass rush

They make the 2022 Dolphins look like the 85 Bears or '00 Ravens:

The Miami Dolphins’ defensive line is going to give the New England Patriots’ offensive line fits. They may not have a dominant pass-rusher, but they have multiple players that can get the job done and make life difficult for the New England passing game.

It all starts with Emmanuel Ogbah. He had nine sacks on the season for Miami last year and was their leader in terms of generating a pass-rush. Jerome Baker was second on the team last year with 5.5 sacks, while Christian Wilkins rounded things out with 4.5 sacks on the year.

18 sacks??? In only one year??? We're doomed.

Last edited:

Reason #2: The Miami rushing attack

Duke Johnson had 177 yards on 25 carries alone for Miami.

New England gave up 126.5 yards per game on the ground last season. Run defense was not a strong suit of theirs. Miami also has a new starting running back in Chase Edmonds. The former Arizona Cardinal carried the ball for 592 yards and two touchdowns last season, while averaging 5.1 yards per carry.

Duke Johnson isn't walking through that locker room door, but you gotta be impressed that he was replaced by a guy who carried the ball for 592 yards for a totally different team last year. Bottom Line: We're doomed.

I love how you (@DropKickFlutie / @rivshark86) and the haterz in the media are trying so hard to make BB look bad for going down early. It shows that your level of desperation has grown even further after the success of last season. The covid season was a waste that disadvantaged the teams that were starting over (Patriots included) and gave a huge advantage the established teams. The birth of this team happened last year. BB took the right QB and rode him to the playoffs in the first year of the re-build. Not the 2nd. THAT had to hurt a lot, didn't it?

So now you climb on to anything, real or imagined, to criticize Belichick. I am 100% positive that had he not gone down early you (@DropKickFlutie / @rivshark86) would be on here talking about how old and uninvolved Bill is for NOT taking advantage of the opportunity to go down early and get used to the climate.

That is how silly your posts are. I wonder how someone that behaves so emotionally and illogically about a football QB and a coach is able to function in real life?
I never criticized Bill for going down early. I was commenting on Ted's comments on how the media would react if the Pats win or lose. Bill has always been somewhat unorthodox and is typically championed for that but now he is being questioned more because he has not won a playoff game in 3 years with the teams cratering in December all 3 years.

Ted Johnson has publicly admitted on numerous occasions that he hates Belichick for making him play when he was injured in the early 2000s. He goes on these wild public rants about Belichick that make him (Johnson) appear unhinged. What I find regrettable about it is that 98.5 radio and NBC Sports Boston TV allow him to go on these wild rides virtually without any real attempt to refute him. I've seen Curran at times look at him cockeyed and then sort of smirk toward the camera as if go say, "this guy's nuts" without offering resistance. They just let him go knowing he looks foolish, but in the end it's entertainment.

Ted Johnson has publicly admitted on numerous occasions that he hates Belichick for making him play when he was injured in the early 2000s. He goes on these wild public rants about Belichick that make him (Johnson) appear unhinged. What I find regrettable about it is that 98.5 radio and NBC Sports Boston TV allow him to go on these wild rides virtually without any real attempt to refute him. I've seen Curran at times look at him cockeyed and then sort of smirk toward the camera as if go say, "this guy's nuts" without offering resistance. They just let him go knowing he looks foolish, but in the end it's entertainment.
He clearly has CTE...

He clearly has CTE...
Yup, seemingly. When he began his radio career in Texas, he famously and publicly referred to Vince Wilfork's wife as "the ugliest wife in the NFL", which, reportedly resulted in Vince threatening to kill him.

Who gives a flying fuck what the media says? It's meaningless. Most of us learned that at least 20 years ago. They search and dig for for something every year to criticize Belichick for. It's not new. It's not this year. Do I need to dig up the Borges quote about drafting Seymour again?

The media is just noise to drive ratings and apparently it works on some.

Who gives a flying fuck what the media says? It's meaningless. Most of us learned that at least 20 years ago. They search and dig for for something every year to criticize Belichick for. It's not new. It's not this year. Do I need to dig up the Borges quote about drafting Seymour again?

The media is just noise to drive ratings and apparently it works on some.
Unfortunately, the answer to your opening question is "virtually everyone."

Unfortunately, the answer to your opening question is "virtually everyone."
You have it wrong. It isn't that people give a shit what the mediots have to say. It is the constant insulting of our intelligence that pisses us off. No different than Mazz on here.

Reason #3: The Miami wide receiver dynamic duo

This could indeed be very bad for the Patriots. We are certainly doomed...if they start Skylar Johnson or Teddy Bridgewater. Tua? Well:

1662678766973.png

You have it wrong. It isn't that people give a shit what the mediots have to say. It is the constant insulting of our intelligence that pisses us off. No different than Mazz on here.
😂"...the constant insulting of our intelligence..." is exactly why virtually everyone cares what the media has to say. So, in that sense, I have it exactly right. If people truly didn't care what they have to say, the media would be out of business. The prime example is the fact that a show like Felger and Mazz continuously racks up ridiculously good ratings, beating every show on both stations by a wide margin. And you're right about it being no different than "Mazz on here." It's absolute trolling and it generates heavy response. It's why they do it on the radio and why she does it here - because it works. It's illegitimate, but it works.

😂"...the constant insulting of our intelligence..." is exactly why virtually everyone cares what the media has to say. So, in that sense, I have it exactly right. If people truly didn't care what they have to say, the media would be out of business. The prime example is the fact that a show like Felger and Mazz continuously racks up ridiculously good ratings, beating every show on both stations by a wide margin. And you're right about it being no different than "Mazz on here." It's absolute trolling and it generates heavy response. It's why they do it on the radio and why she does it here - because it works. It's illegitimate, but it works.
Felger and Mazz have ratings for the 30-54 age male group that are double / triple any radio station in America.
So who's listening?

Last edited:
8 Super Bowl rings. He has nothing to prove. To state otherwise is to reveal a fool.
Bullshit, every decision in regards to the team that ends up on the field this season was Bill's. In his own words, "we all need to prove ourselves every year" This year is no different.

Felger and Mazz have ratings for the 30-54 age male group that are double / triple any radio station in America.
So who's listening?
Males 30-54. Felger understands acutely what drives rating in Boston. It is negativity. It totally blows up the phones as people love to debate and argue. His show also has some of the best sports discussion around when they aren't trying to troll the fans.

Back