Wes Welker's last season

Roberto71

Reaction score
NFL.com saying this will be his last season with the Donks.

Shows the Pats were not wrong letting him go. Last season he hit and miss, he's taken too much punishment and this season could be more of the same.

NFL.com saying this will be his last season with the Donks.

Shows the Pats were not wrong letting him go. Last season he hit and miss, he's taken too much punishment and this season could be more of the same.

I'm really surprised the Broncos didn't cut him, save the 6 mill and try to sign Decker on a long term deal...

The Patriots didn't let Welker go, he left.

Also, IIRC the perceived "market" for Decker was supposedly high and they needed that money to sign Talib.

The Pats got killed for "letting Welker walk", but I thought they made him a reasonable offer based on where he was in his career. He chose to leave. Wes was starting to slow down and drop balls and I felt a bad risk for a huge contract.

He played in 16 games last year including the playoffs and over the first 8 of those (without getting into great detail) he caught 50 passes with 9 TDs. I thought "just wait" and over the remaining 8, including 3 playoff games, caught 43 with 2 TDs.

I'm a little surprised that he is retiring, assuming the report is accurate, but it's probably the right move. Nobody has gotten hammered more than he has and the injuries and concussions are taking a toll. He'll try to have a strong year to leave the game when he is still a fine player, but I think his production might look similar to 2013 where it tails off towards the end because he is running out of gas. Losing his quickness.

I choose not to hate on the guy. He was a great player with a ton of heart and deserves better than to be treated around these parts as a traitor because he thought Denver was a better situation for him and I hope he plays the whole year and does pretty well.

It was a difficult situation for the Pats, but I think they handled it correctly.

2/12 wouldn't have killed the Patriots.

Welker's really went downhill last season because he had Mr. Duck Manning throwing him the ball so he took a lot more abusive hits imo.

I still think the Pats would've been fine offering WW 2/12 matching Denver's offer

the Patriots got his best years and cut ties at the right time. I'm not upset either way at what happened. He got his money here, and then got top 5 WR money when they franchised him. He was just as responsible as the Patriots were for his departure. It's a 2 way street.

Good luck to him, I have no ill will either, sans that one certain play if you know what I mean. :(

2/12 wouldn't have killed the Patriots.

Welker's really went downhill last season because he had Mr. Duck Manning throwing him the ball so he took a lot more abusive hits imo.

I still think the Pats would've been fine offering WW 2/12 matching Denver's offer

The Patriots offered Wes better terms than Denver, although the maximum value would have been attained through performance escalators, the base value was slightly better though in NE than Denver.

Wes said no to that contract and thought he was worth more, as it turns out there weren't many teams willing to offer him what he thought he was worth, and he'd burned his bridges with the Patriots so he chose to sign for less money with a team he felt was going to get him a ring.

the Patriots got his best years and cut ties at the right time. I'm not upset either way at what happened. He got his money here, and then got top 5 WR money when they franchised him. He was just as responsible as the Patriots were for his departure. It's a 2 way street.

Good luck to him, I have no ill will either, sans that one certain play if you know what I mean. :(

This. Exactly this.

Welker is not the kind of guy to use the word, but I think he felt "disrespected" by the Pats after he had gave them his best years. That is just life in the NFL, and at today's salaries, it happens to them all.

Welker is not the kind of guy to use the word, but I think he felt "disrespected" by the Pats after he had gave them his best years. That is just life in the NFL, and at today's salaries, it happens to them all.
come on now, he decided to leave, a fair and equal (some say better) offer was made

stifling.png

The Patriots don't pay for what you've done in the past. They gave him top 5 money when they couldn't get a deal done back then either. His attitude and some of his interviews rubbed BB the wrong way. At the end of the day, Denver offered him basically the same money the Patriots did, and he said F this, I need a new scenery.

Like I said, I was a fan until he dropped that pass in the bleeping Super Bowl! Didn't really care for the press conference antics either

I'm sure he felt he had to "feed his family" as well.

I wonder if Tom would welcome him back? :poke:

Cheers, BostonTim

I thought he left because BB was a big bad meanie.

All I can think about when he's mentioned is the dropped passes that cost the Pats superbowls. I don't miss him.

I wonder how he felt about the Broncos' offer, then, which for all intents and purposes was equivalent to the one New England offered.

Welker wanted to leave New England. He and Belichick clearly had clearly developed friction over the years. Welker wanted out, he wanted to stick-it to BB and New England. This was personal.

Back