What happened to....

By has been popping in on rare occasions. I was wondering the pain in the ass steelers fan went but he arrived and started this thread.

You graduate yet?

Yeah, in History instead of Secondary Ed. It was easier. I still want to get my teaching certificate though.

Yeah, in History instead of Secondary Ed. It was easier. I still want to get my teaching certificate though.

you should, if you have a passion for that stuff so it will show when you teach and the kids will buy into it, enjoying the class more while actually learning.

I'm guessing from your planet name that you are 26 years old.

I started teaching at 39 and had expectations that students today were like students when I was in high school.

They are not. Not even close. I teach high school Math. Calculators have ruined this generation.

My advice to you would be to student teach in an inner city/urban school district. It may make you appreciate a suburban district that much more.

you should, if you have a passion for that stuff so it will show when you teach and the kids will buy into it, enjoying the class more while actually learning.

That's the truth. I had to take some history courses in college and I really enjoyed the American History class because the professor was so into his subject and also not interested in repeating the same old stuff. He's the one who first educated me that the Washington/cherry tree story was BS. It was also very cool to be studying that subject in Boston where so many of the things he talked about happened right in the area.

Congrats SF!

So apart from the shit you get from parents, having to deal with teenagers all day, being used as a political soccer ball, the pay and workload, what other good points are there to teaching?
Posted via Mobile Device

That's an easy one-- getting the summer off every year.

That can make up for a lot, but I don't envy those whose job is to try to get some kind of interest stirred up in today's kids.

They are completely unprepared to compete with anybody over anything because everybody gets a trophy and nobody has to develop their brain thanks to smart phones which have rendered an entire generation stupid and there is no end in sight.

Kids are going to naturally devolve into smartphone carrying lifeforms whose only job it to keep them fully charged and engaged at all times in every aspect of life until there is no real life left.

So apart from the shit you get from parents, having to deal with teenagers all day, being used as a political soccer ball, the pay and workload, what other good points are there to teaching?
Posted via Mobile Device

We received our exit level state test scores yesterday. I teach juniors in English 3. I have 172 students in my classroom daily. 170 of them passed their test. It's a 98% pass rate, up from 87% last year.

That's why I do it. I took a bunch of loud, self centered, lazy teenagers and gave them the tools to write and the heart to believe they could succeed.

This school is a mix of ghetto city kids and middle to upper class kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

We received our exit level state test scores yesterday. I teach juniors in English 3. I have 172 students in my classroom daily. 170 of them passed their test. It's a 98% pass rate, up from 87% last year.

That's why I do it. I took a bunch of loud, self centered, lazy teenagers and gave them the tools to write and the heart to believe they could succeed.

This school is a mix of ghetto city kids and middle to upper class kids.
Posted via Mobile Device

:clap:

:notworthy:

That's an easy one-- getting the summer off every year.

That can make up for a lot, but I don't envy those whose job is to try to get some kind of interest stirred up in today's kids.

They are completely unprepared to compete with anybody over anything because everybody gets a trophy and nobody has to develop their brain thanks to smart phones which have rendered an entire generation stupid and there is no end in sight.

Kids are going to naturally devolve into smartphone carrying lifeforms whose only job it to keep them fully charged and engaged at all times in every aspect of life until there is no real life left.

I shared thoughts like this until these kids decided they weren't idiots AND they wanted the approval from those of us who have busted our asses for them. I was literally in tears yesterday running the report. And when I told them what our results were, do you know what they did?

They said, "Thank you for everything you've done."
Posted via Mobile Device

I shared thoughts like this until these kids decided they weren't idiots AND they wanted the approval from those of us who have busted our asses for them. I was literally in tears yesterday running the report. And when I told them what our results were, do you know what they did?

Posted via Mobile Device

Brava!! I'll toast to your success with a beer at dinner :dance:

Posted via Mobile Device

thats awesome pyx!! We need more teachers like you:)

RavenZ? Or BY1401? Or anyone else anybody is curious about?

Well, as long as that's the topic, whatever happened to MUSE? JD? PatrietteAZ? JH (aka Off Topic?)? (there are already previous threads about MIA RoadGrader, Box of Rocks, etc. . . )

The list is endless. Moral of the story: population on a message board is the equivalent of shifting sands. Doesn't pay to get too attached to any one poster.

Here today, gone tomali.

:)

Well, as long as that's the topic, whatever happened to MUSE? JD? PatrietteAZ? JH (aka Off Topic?)? (there are already previous threads about MIA RoadGrader, Box of Rocks, etc. . . )

The list is endless. Moral of the story: population on a message board is the equivalent of shifting sands. Doesn't pay to get too attached to any one poster.

Here today, gone tomali.

:)

unless you keep in touch with them other ways :)

I'm still fairly convinced that public education in the US both has to, and will, change over the next 5-10 years, primarily in terms of time.

It's more or less proven at this point that students need to go to school year-round. Now, the days off may be just as numerous, but spread out throughout the year.

One of the biggest challenges for teaching is the summer break; students tend to forget far more than they should because of that time off. If vacations are shorter, and more spread out, it will allow students to retain more. Nothing frustrates me more than spending time reviewing concepts that my students should retain, but I also can't blame them with 3 straight months off. More consistent class time will yield better long-term memories.

Many countries whose students perform better at the primary/secondary levels do that, so I anticipate it will happen here. I honestly think it should, at that.

I disagree. I'm a block a schedule fan. Four classes a day at 90 minutes per. Alternate A and B days. They have much more time to explore subjects at a much deeper level. They then have a day off to write more meaningful papers and tackle large reading assignments. The summers are dedicated to projects that they believe will be their career paths and community service.

At least that's what I've worked with the bulk of my 17 year career. We are off the block schedule now. They have 8 classes a day. We have ALL been in the metaphorical ring with Mohammed Ali and are beat to shit. No way on year round school. What needs to happen is parental responsibility. THEY need to engage their children with activities that fortify what we do during the school year. I never was an August moron needing to be re-taught last year's lessons.

I am NOT in favor of extending the responsibilities of teachers. I AM in favor f booting parents in the ass. Either they help out or they must stop having babies.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back