What if.....

That's true of a lot of players. Ask the Eagles about McNabb.

I think the biggest problem I have with Drew is that he didn't come close to actualizing his talent. 3 years into his career, he was a surefire HOFer who just needed to tweak a couple issues to become the best in the league. 3 years later, he had done nothing about those issues - if anything they had worsened - and it was clear that he never would.

I also don't think fans were quick enough to spot just how bad Drew was in his final couple years here. Anecdotally, look at the Pitt playoff game. Drew was brutal, making only 3 good throws and damn near gave the game away with the easiest pick 6 you'll ever see, but fans step all over themselves to give him credit for that win.

I think the biggest problem I have with Drew is that he didn't come close to actualizing his talent. 3 years into his career, he was a surefire HOFer who just needed to tweak a couple issues to become the best in the league. 3 years later, he had done nothing about those issues - if anything they had worsened - and it was clear that he never would.

I also don't think fans were quick enough to spot just how bad Drew was in his final couple years here. Anecdotally, look at the Pitt playoff game. Drew was brutal, making only 3 good throws and damn near gave the game away with the easiest pick 6 you'll ever see, but fans step all over themselves to give him credit for that win.

I loved Drew, he was a saviour of the team with Tuna. I was blind becauseTommy Hodson or Hugh Millen sucked and Drew was like Gold Bond on a hot summer afternoon, refreshing. Who could many of us compare him to, Tony Eason, and Old Grogan, Matt Cavanaugh, Flutie (1st time)? He was amazing (see Minny game) comparitively and helped keep the Patriots in Foxborough.

Then Tommy arrived and we saw what a Team with a QB could really play and it was then and only then did we see Drew was more interested in making Wine, being more than a football player and unlike Dashing Tommy he lost his desire to improve early, complacency sunk in.

I loved Drew, he was a saviour of the team with Tuna. I was blind becauseTommy Hodson or Hugh Millen sucked and Drew was like Gold Bond on a hot summer afternoon, refreshing. Who could many of us compare him to, Tony Eason, and Old Grogan, Matt Cavanaugh, Flutie (1st time)? He was amazing (see Minny game) comparitively and helped keep the Patriots in Foxborough.

Then Tommy arrived and we saw what a Team with a QB could really play and it was then and only then did we see Drew was more interested in making Wine, being more than a football player and unlike Dashing Tommy he lost his desire to improve early, complacency sunk in.

All pats fans loved Bledsoe....we went so long without a decent QB, Drew was a top pick, he had a big arm, he was being compared to marino, it was all good...it just got to a point late in the 90's where the team was not getting better, and a coaching change was needed and in that, it was decided that a change at Qb was needed, and both were correct. I do not know what Drew's desire level was, but I have heard BB say that Brady more then any player he has ever seen is still trying to get better even though his place is wrapped up, he still feels like he is trying to make the team every year. Maybe that comes with the situation. Drew was a big time Qb in college and was a top draft pick, and Brady was a no name 6th rounder who had to fight for playing time his whole life.

Pennington was cursed, if you ask me. If he hadn't been so injury prone, he might have been one of the all time greats. He was one of the most accurate passers ever (when healthy).

When I hear Pennington talking about football I always ask, why hasn't some team hired this guy as an OC or qb coach? Dude is super smart.

All pats fans loved Bledsoe....we went so long without a decent QB, Drew was a top pick, he had a big arm, he was being compared to marino, it was all good...it just got to a point late in the 90's where the team was not getting better, and a coaching change was needed and in that, it was decided that a change at Qb was needed, and both were correct. I do not know what Drew's desire level was, but I have heard BB say that Brady more then any player he has ever seen is still trying to get better even though his place is wrapped up, he still feels like he is trying to make the team every year. Maybe that comes with the situation. Drew was a big time Qb in college and was a top draft pick, and Brady was a no name 6th rounder who had to fight for playing time his whole life.

I guess in some eyes Bledsoe failed.

I've heard Troy Aikman say at least 100 times that as a qb being the first overall pick he thinks as the qb you are responsible for delivering a SB title.

I don't know about all of that but I can understand the point, but there have been a bunch of qb's picked first overall that weren't even close to Bledsoe.

NOT OUR FRIENDLY JETS FAN, no not him or his brother, they would never do that.

insufferable bastards they would become
I actually wouldn't be nearly as bad as you might think.....mostly because I have lived thru the misery and know the feeling. I'd certainly get my pokes in....and I'd only be far worse towards some of my "favorites" here

for the record....i would be far worse than my bro....he has always been the more diplomatic one

For me, the issue with Drew was his lack of consistency. He was absolutely great at times, then, he'd make a play and we'd all scream, WTF!!!
(similar to Steve Grogan, although Grogan was actually had more WTF moments)

I think a lot of QBs with great arms just think they can force a ball into anywhere. Off the top of my head, I'd say Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers might be the only 2 QBs I an think of (with those rare rocket arms), that don't continually try to force balls in where they didn't belong.

For me, the issue with Drew was his lack of consistency. He was absolutely great at times, then, he'd make a play and we'd all scream, WTF!!!

I think a lot of QBs with great arms just think they can force a ball into anywhere. Off the top of my head, I'd say Dan Marino and Aaron Rodgers might be the only 2 QBs I an think of (with those rare rocket arms), that don't continually try to force balls in where they didn't belong.

Marino did not try and force balls? Are you being serious? Rodgers this is true, he would rather take the sack instead.

You forgot the biggest one of them all. He holds the TD & Int record Brett Favre . He would force throws all the time.

I always thought Drew was the second coming of Jim Plunkett, my all time favorite Pats QB until that skinny kid from Michigan showed up. Trading Plunkett was one of the dumbest thing that Pats did back then, and believe me, they did a LOT of dumb things. Drew had some great moments. Too bad it ended the way it did for him. He did a lot of the franchise and I am happy to see that many wounds have been healed by time.

I dunno...was his talent actually maximized? I mean, he was big, slow, had a rocket arm...but was kind of a dying breed at QB. He had all the measurables, but the intangibles were a different story. I suppose had he worked at it in the off-season like some other players it could've had a different result, but I kind of feel like Bledsoe was really good for a while and then something great came along.

Back