What is an underrated skill that people should learn?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
My first thought was the steps to basic troubleshooting, but as a tech guy, maybe it's not so easy if you are not.

What else? Cooking? Sewing? What do you have?

Admitting a mistake or miscalculation.

I kid.

How about playing an instrument?

I can drive manual, not everyone I am finding can. I am sure there are a boat load of people here who can.

Being able to find a car that you can buy for less is one reason it is a good skill.

Being able to shift, and have that vrooom as you drive, hmmm. Sorry, you do not get that in an automatic

Why should people learn? You get better fuel mileage. I tend to pay more attention on the road and not be distracted, most cars internationally are manual from what I've read

Just thoughts on the top of my head.

I miss having a car that is manual.

Yup an underrated skill.

Cooking. I didn't begin cooking until 20 years ago. Now I'm proficient with French, Creole, Italian, Mexican, Brazilian, Caribbean, Thai, Pit BBQ and my fav, hodge-podge with leftovers.
Now I love cooking the same way people love golf. My least fav is Thai only bc there's so damn many ingredients in a simple dish.

Playing a musical instrument. Wish I'd kept up with piano.

DIY construction. Especially in your 20s-30's. Labor is really high and being able to renovate a bathroom or kitchen yourself will save 70% of the cost of construction. Plumbing is the only thing I'd never do. DIY can add huge value to a house when it's time to sell.

Take a real estate agent's course. Not to sell real estate full time necessarily but for the perks. Courses are short and pretty easy plus they're often given at night. You'll save half on broker fees for life. If a relative/friend wants to sell, you can get a piece of the action by referring them to another agent even if out of state. Referral fees return 10-15% of that side of the transaction whether you bring the buyer or the seller. You'll also learn negotiation tactics. 3 hours, 2 nights a week for 6 weeks and you're in. Everyone should do it but especially if you're < 40 years old.

That's all for now as I've got a client waiting.

Cooking. I didn't begin cooking until 20 years ago. Now I'm proficient with French, Creole, Italian, Mexican, Brazilian, Caribbean, Thai, Pit BBQ and my fav, hodge-podge with leftovers.
Now I love cooking the same way people love golf. My least fav is Thai only bc there's so damn many ingredients in a simple dish.

DIY construction. Especially in your 20s-30's. Labor is really high and being able to renovate a bathroom or kitchen yourself will save 70% of the cost of construction. Plumbing is the only thing I'd never do. DIY can add huge value to a house when it's time to sell.

Take a real estate agent's course. Not to sell real estate full time necessarily but for the perks. Courses are short and pretty easy plus they're often given at night. You'll save half on broker fees for life. If a relative/friend wants to sell, you can get a piece of the action by referring them to another agent even if out of state. Referral fees return 10-15% of that side of the transaction whether you bring the buyer or the seller. You'll also learn negotiation tactics. 3 hours, 2 nights a week for 6 weeks and you're in. Everyone should do it but especially if you're < 40 years old.

All those are great!

I‘m a carpenters daughter he taught me right .....

My beef is math, kids and some adults can’t do basic math....

~Dee~

All those are great!

I‘m a carpenters daughter he taught me right .....

My beef is math, kids and some adults can’t do basic math....

~Dee~
My kids grew up complaining about me not allowing them to use a calculator all the time. My response was to prove they know how to do the math then I would agree. I also used math problems as the criteria to use the computer. This was the early 90's

My kids grew up complaining about me not allowing them to use a calculator all the time. My response was to prove they know how to do the math then I would agree. I also used math problems as the criteria to use the computer. This was the early 90's
Math is the foundation of most basic skills... I taught my kids math and addition first when they were three so I could teach reading as a math equation with sounds ....

~Dee~

Think about it when and if you have grandkids lol

~Dee~

I can drive manual, not everyone I am finding can. I am sure there are a boat load of people here who can.

Being able to find a car that you can buy for less is one reason it is a good skill.

Being able to shift, and have that vrooom as you drive, hmmm. Sorry, you do not get that in an automatic

Why should people learn? You get better fuel mileage. I tend to pay more attention on the road and not be distracted, most cars internationally are manual from what I've read

Yup an underrated skill.

Without a DOUBT. We drive 2 manuals here. Mine DD is an automatic, but I will take the Mini Cooper sometimes just for fun.

Yup an underrated skill.
Cool. When can I pencil you in to drive my truck? 18 spd...it's easy/peasy.

Yup an underrated skill.
Cool. When can I pencil you in to drive my truck? 18 spd...

Do you FSBO?

Its just a 6 speed with 3 levels. Just like a bicycle.

:coffee:
All of the noobs say this...yet, most can never pull it off. Plus, you have to not hit anything on the road. And also hook up all of the trailer too. Loading and offloading. You better not deadhead any valves either!

Back