What meaning does St. Patricks Day hold for you?

Honestly?

This day holds no meaning to me; I have no Irish Heritage in my family. It is pure entertainment value in my eyes.

Of course that's not to say that I am insensitive to the plight of the Irish people. I truly understand what the Irish went through as they were making their bones in this country and have soaked in as much as a person can through the years regarding the USA's history; The Irish paid their dues Ten-Fold.

I'm just answering the question honestly.

This day is one of the two worst days I suffer each year. The second is fast approaching.

Make that one of 3 lousy days. I totally forgot Draft Day. LOL

It was the one and only. So far I haven't been stupid enough to repeat THAT blunder.:thumb:

It's a bittersweet day for me, but it's mostly a time for reflection.

BY - this prayer is my all time favorite. People need to read this prior to going out and getting all messed up. This is what the day is all about.

My Dad's been gone 8 years now and I think of him more on St. Patrick's Day than I do on his birthday or the anniversary of the day he passed. He was the one who instilled the Irish Pride in me. I couldn't possibly hold a candle to him at the bar but he never seemed to mind that I was a lightweight. My brother and sisters say I am looking more and more like him as I get older.

Sorry - I'm three drinks into the holiday so I am rambling.

Happy St. Patrick's Day PP!!!!

I'm 100% Italian, and grew up in an almost 100% Italian East Boston in the 70s and 80s.

St. Patrick's Day don't mean a #$^&ing thing to me.

And, for most people, I think it's just another excuse to get sh*tfaced along with New Year's Eve, Cinco de Mayo, Fat Tuesday, Spring Break, and just about anything else.

What meaning does St. Patricks Day have for you?

My mother and father's wedding anniversary.

He full blooded Sicilian with some family still in the old country ( even now) eloped with his Dutch/Irish gf on St Patty's Day because nona wouldn't accept her. :thumb:

I'm 100% Italian, and grew up in an almost 100% Italian East Boston in the 70s and 80s.

St. Patrick's Day don't mean a #$^&ing thing to me.

And, for most people, I think it's just another excuse to get sh*tfaced along with New Year's Eve, Cinco de Mayo, Fat Tuesday, Spring Break, and just about anything else.

My mother and father's wedding anniversary.

He full blooded Sicilian with some family still in the old country ( even now) eloped with his Dutch/Irish gf on St Patty's Day because nona wouldn't accept her. :thumb:

Yeah, means nothing. Just an opportunity to drink guinness.

Now I didn't read the thread, but I will say that the celebration of St. Patricks day is a metaphor. There were never really any snakes in Ireland. Patrick was a repatriated English missionary who went around bringing cathoholicism (sic. lol) to the Irish, eliminating many Wiccan sects. Hence he drove the evil "snakes" from Ireland. Hence his sainthood.:shrug:

St. Patrick's Day has deep religious meaning to me. Allow me to quote from the good book, "God created Guinness to keep the Irish from ruling the world." ~St. Patrick's letter to the pagans.

Back