What Movies Have You Recently Watched?

Dune also. One of the big sci-fi moments in my youth. My memory is kinda lost. Stuck on those hideous worms, Have to reread before seeing the Movie.

Cheers

Yeah, I've read em all several times. Tremendous philosophical/religious works in their own right. They really gave me my first sense of what could be done philosophically using sci-fi as a vehicle. Been working on something in that regard for quite a while.

Saw the movie when I was a kid the day it came out in the theater. I remember walking in and being handed a glossary like in the book defining all the words Herbert had created.

Great stuff.

I was just looking for a background noise movie yesterday and clicked on Small engine repair. I am walking by the tv at the beginning of the movie and catch the opening credit mentioning Manch-Vegas. I stop and rewind the credit and could not believe it was really there. I lived in Manch for 30 years so I stopped everything and watched. Not great but a fairly good movie. Has the guy who played Shane in TWD in it.

Just got back from seeing "The Batman". WOW is it dark. Very good, very entertaining, but very DARK.

Emo Batman for sure. Robert Pattinson's of Batman makes Christian Bale's version look like Rodney Dangerfield. And I'm a HUGE fan of Christian Bale's batman movies!

We went to see Studio 666. Even if you love Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters, just...don't...:ROFLMAO:

Just got back from seeing "The Batman". WOW is it dark. Very good, very entertaining, but very DARK.

Emo Batman for sure. Robert Pattinson's of Batman makes Christian Bale's version look like Rodney Dangerfield. And I'm a HUGE fan of Christian Bale's batman movies!
Saw it Sunday and agree. Curious to see how this takes off because it had elements of some other very R-rated and gory films (which I will not name so as to avoid any spoilers). Still processing where I rank it among other Batman films but it's definitely toward the top. For anyone who is reluctant to see it because the crap DC movies that have come out since Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, I can assure you the button has been reset.

On another note, my 14 year-old is a who-dun-it bluff so we went to see Death on the Nile. If you enjoyed Kenneth Branagh's adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express, you'll enjoy this film as well. Another great ensemble cast, and Branagh pulls off the Hercule Poirot character well and the visual effects are stunning, although all CGI (which I did not know until after I saw the film).

I thought Ridley Scott created a tremendous film and the writers, some epic dialogue.

I was interested in it finally because I had just been learning a bit more about Marcus Aurelius and this just seemed to follow.

Marcus's principles, while Stoic and therefore, to me not perfect but pretty damn good, ran throughout the movie and there was great unapologetic heroism the likes of which we rarely see anymore.

A terrific movie that I truly wish I had seen much sooner.

ok, clearly late to the party, but the one thing that really cheesed me off about that movie was the blatent rip off at the beginning.

they used the warrior chant from “Zulu” for the germanic tribes.

” Well they've got a very good bass section, mind. But no top tenors, that's for sure.”

I saw Spielberg's West Side Story on Disney+ the other day. I was surprised with how much I liked it. I'm not normally a. musical fan, but this movie was beautifully shot. The colours and the lightning are amazing and the acting is top notch from all the actors.

A very surprising movie and highly recommended.

ok, clearly late to the party, but the one thing that really cheesed me off about that movie was the blatent rip off at the beginning.

they used the warrior chant from “Zulu” for the germanic tribes.

” Well they've got a very good bass section, mind. But no top tenors, that's for sure.”

Posted this on my iPad, so I couldn't find the video for either at that time.

Here's Zulu

Here's Gladiator.

Yeah, I've read em all several times. Tremendous philosophical/religious works in their own right. They really gave me my first sense of what could be done philosophically using sci-fi as a vehicle. Been working on something in that regard for quite a while.

Saw the movie when I was a kid the day it came out in the theater. I remember walking in and being handed a glossary like in the book defining all the words Herbert had created.

Great stuff.

I assume you mean Lynch's abomination?

I'm not sure what words you're referring to that Herbert created.

Spice is an allegory for oil, and Arakis for the Middle East. Herbert used a plethora of terms from that region/cultures.

For example Fedyakin is clearly linked to the Arabic term Fedayeen.

I assume you mean Lynch's abomination?

I'm not sure what words you're referring to that Herbert created.

Spice is an allegory for oil, and Arakis for the Middle East. Herbert used a plethora of terms from that region/cultures.

For example Fedyakin is clearly linked to the Arabic term Fedayeen.

Yes, Lynch's version. I may have misspoken. I simply meant there are very uncommon words that needed defining in the books and the movie so glossaries were provided.

Yes, Lynch's version. I may have misspoken. I simply meant there are very uncommon words that needed defining in the books and the movie so glossaries were provided.

I remember reading A Clockwork Orange when I was a kid and that was a book that had a ton of odd words and terms that were a bit of a challenge to understand,
many being russian or hybrids.

So I had to stuggle to figure out what a droogie, moloko or krovvy meant, but eventually sorted out most of it and then got to the end and discovered a complete glossary of
terms in the back of the book.

That pissed me off, but the struggle to interpret those words made me remember them some forty-five years after reading.

I remember reading A Clockwork Orange when I was a kid and that was a book that had a ton of odd words and terms that were a bit of a challenge to understand,
many being russian or hybrids.

So I had to stuggle to figure out what a droogie, moloko or krovvy meant, but eventually sorted out most of it and then got to the end and discovered a complete glossary of
terms in the back of the book.

That pissed me off, but the struggle to interpret those words made me remember them some forty-five years after reading.

Absolutely, Hawg and I experienced Clockwork the same way you did.

Great stuff.

Watched Turning Red over the weekend.

The story was fine, marginal. The animation looked like Pixar had a baby with Wallace & Gromit and came up with mostly the bad stuff from each. The messages for kids were...not necessarily BAD so much as easily misinterpreted to be bad, especially when you consider that movies about kids at age X are actually targeting kids half that age.

Absolutely, Hawg and I experienced Clockwork the same way you did.

Great stuff.
Me and Lori's first date was to the movie, "ACWO". She was appalled by the violence. Walked out and sat on the floor in the lobby and wouldn't let me leave with her :rofl: So I had to watch it. Loved it. :coffee:

cheers

Back