What now for the Celtics...

that three was a prayer, it was the previous 12 minutes of deer in the headlights Offense that hurt the Celtics forcing him to take that shot

I will say if Rondo thinks and doesn't just flow into a shot, he misses

classic overthinker

During that painful stretch in the 4th quarter when they kept coming up empty on most every trip down the floor, I was hoping that Doc would go to Nate Robinson, just to try and change things up and see if that might free up some things on offense. But, I was pretty sure that Doc wasn't going to go away from the starting 5 during the home stretch with everything on the line.

Rondo's improved so much over the last couple years and there's no reason to think that the growth has stopped. He's a great offensive weapon, mixed in with the right players. Dennis Johnson wasn't a very good jump shooter.

On the radio today, they were saying that Kevin McHale is a likely replacement for Doc as coach. I would love for him to put in some time working with Perkins and teach him some low post moves.

13bzzh25r17xmhk3jwhpifep3ws6nl5

LeBron won't go to the Celtics. He better not go to the Celtics.

LeBron hates the Celtics. I really can't see him landing in Boston.

Time to figure ouy who is going to be your next head coach. Doc definitely sounded like he had already made the decision to walk away on the radio yesterday.

He said Sheed is leaning towards retirement too.

Kevin McHale

Because he used to be a Celtic, or because of the bang up job he did in Minnesota?

Hiring Kevin McHale as our next head coach will be like jumping off a cliff. Rebuilding for the next 10 years.

I loved Kevin, but no way is he qualified to coach a team deep into the playoffs.

Because he used to be a Celtic, or because of the bang up job he did in Minnesota?

Hiring Kevin McHale as our next head coach will be like jumping off a cliff. Rebuilding for the next 10 years.

I loved Kevin, but no way is he qualified to coach a team deep into the playoffs.
Kevin is a good coach, a real good coach - look what Minny did when he took over - the improvement he led.

plus this team is going to need a Name coach with some rings to be able to lead them after Doc walks

I admit as a GM Kevin is a bad builder, much like Bird, both seem to have a difficult time selecting talent but can get the most out of the talent they have

but with Ainge in place to do that, I think Kevin could coach these guys up

Doc talks about how he and Danny are on the same page, I think Kevin walks into that position on the same page as Danny

Kevin is a good coach, a real good coach - look what Minny did when he took over - the improvement he led.
plus this team is going to need a Name coach with some rings to be able to lead them after Doc walks
I admit as a GM Kevin is a bad builder, much like Bird, both seem to have a difficult time selecting talent but can get the most out of the talent they have
but with Ainge in place to do that, I think Kevin could coach these guys up
Doc talks about how he and Danny are on the same page, I think Kevin walks into that position on the same page as Danny

I just think that there is a HUGE difference between leading a toilet team in FREAKIN Minnesota to a half descent record and trying to lead a championship caliber team IN BOSTON to the top. More pressure, MUCH higher expectations. Not to mention much older players.

Kevin seems under qualified to me. But, like you, I am going to trust Danny.

I just think that there is a HUGE difference between leading a toilet team in FREAKIN Minnesota to a half descent record and trying to lead a championship caliber team IN BOSTON to the top. More pressure, MUCH higher expectations. Not to mention much older players.

Kevin seems under qualified to me. But, like you, I am going to trust Danny.

Well in all fairness, he was the GM of a team that went to a 6th game of the conference finals in 03-04. After that, the team got old (Latrell Spreewell and Sam Cassell pretty much fell off a cliff in terms of output) and ended up pretty much in the position the C's are in now. McHale served as the interim coach of two terrible teams. I'm not sure that's a fair assessment of his coaching prowess. But let me be clear, I'm not trying to say he's the next Belichick or Terry Francona in this town either.

But the Celtics really stopped being a championship caliber team once the buzzer ended in Game 7 last week. Sorry to say it but even if they bring back the bulk of this year's cast for one more run next year, as it currently stands on Tuesday June 22, 2010 - the Celtics are currently in re-building mode.

McHale was on WEEI a week or so ago when the series was going on and he said that he and Danny talk all the time. When asked if the possibility of him coaching the C's if Doc was to depart had come up, he fumbled for an answer. Which to me means that absolutely 100% it has been discussed and is by all accounts, the plan. I think it's a done deal.

I missed that kevin interview, my radio shit the bed and i am only picking up 98.5 these days but he seems to be in town a lot lately

Ainge has proven to be a pretty damned astute judge of talent. If he decides McHale is the right guy for the job, we gotta give him the chance.

Ainge has proven to be a pretty damned astute judge of talent. If he decides McHale is the right guy for the job, we gotta give him the chance.

Agree. And the first step of a successful organization is getting the coach and GM on the same page. I don't think that'd be an issue with those 2.

I love Kevin McHale as a guy. He's likable, personable and funny.

But damn, part of Doc's appeal is that he really relates to the players. I don't know if Kevin will have that. Maybe he will, but the words the guys on this team used -- respected elder statesman, father figure, friend, etc. -- to describe Doc were unique, and I don't know if McHale will have that.

I also think that when you have a team that is basically all black, that having a black head coach has its advantages. It's not the be all and end all, of course, but I think that moving from Doc to McHale carries an extra risk tied to race.

i love kevin mchale as a guy. He's likable, personable and funny.

But damn, part of doc's appeal is that he really relates to the players. I don't know if kevin will have that. Maybe he will, but the words the guys on this team used -- respected elder statesman, father figure, friend, etc. -- to describe doc were unique, and i don't know if mchale will have that.

I also think that when you have a team that is basically all black, that having a black head coach has its advantages. It's not the be all and end all, of course, but i think that moving from doc to mchale carries an extra risk tied to race.
kevin traded kevin so he could win in boston, i am sure garnet remembers that and respects mchale from their time together

I just think it's funny, all the Doc haters are probably getting their wish. But Ainge is on the radio stating that he'd like to keep this club intact another year for one last run. Problem is, they all pledge allegiance to Doc so even if they all come back, might not see the same effort.

I have no opinion on McHale other than he doesn't seem like he'd be any better or worse than anyone else not named "Doc Rivers."

I also think that when you have a team that is basically all black, that having a black head coach has its advantages. It's not the be all and end all, of course, but I think that moving from Doc to McHale carries an extra risk tied to race.

The Celtics should get more white people, then. Get two time world champion Adam Morrison, JJ Redick, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and call up Travis Knight and see if he'll unretire.

I just think it's funny, all the Doc haters are probably getting their wish. But Ainge is on the radio stating that he'd like to keep this club intact another year for one last run. Problem is, they all pledge allegiance to Doc so even if they all come back, might not see the same effort.

I have no opinion on McHale other than he doesn't seem like he'd be any better or worse than anyone else not named "Doc Rivers."

Yeah, they might actually get a coach who.....coaches, and not just a cheerleader.

Back