What pisses me off.

agree there are no moral victories. agree that the patriots' errors are why they lost,and that it is frustrating. but...even the best teams the pats have had experienced shit the bed losses( 03 to buff and wash,04 to a shit mia team,etc),and most of the time they were against meh to crap teams,not the cream of the nfc. i think they have a very talented team that hangs tough,cares, and plays together. that bodes well for being able to fix their fuckups imo.

agree there are no moral victories. agree that the patriots' errors are why they lost,and that it is frustrating. but...even the best teams the pats have had experienced shit the bed losses( 03 to buff and wash,04 to a shit mia team,etc),and most of the time they were against meh to crap teams,not the cream of the nfc. i think they have a very talented team that hangs tough,cares, and plays together. that bodes well for being able to fix their fuckups imo.
Yep I’ll never forget that game when we lost 31 to nothing to Buffalo and then the last game of the season we returned the favor. Then we went on to win the Super Bowl.

I was more impressed then anything. They kept eagles In check. Stupid mistakes was the difference. Boutte needs to learn get both feet down. Mac still needs to work on accuracy on medium throws. I did see bad ball placement. Instead of hitting WRs in stride.

I was more impressed then anything. They kept eagles In check. Stupid mistakes was the difference. Boutte needs to learn get both feet down. Mac still needs to work on accuracy on medium throws. I did see bad ball placement. Instead of hitting WRs in stride.

Boutte was purported to be at his locker still fully dressed and upset after the game. Watching that replay it was clear to me he could have dragged that back foot if his head was in the PRO game.

I think there were a few throws that were a bit off BUT catchable. The rain didn't help in the first half. Overall, Mac's accuracy is very good. We, as Patriots fans, nit pick this poor guy to death. 65% yesterday in the heavy rain? I will take it.

I felt Mac played well enough to win. The pick six was not perfect but did hit Bourne in the hands. Mac was a bright spot far as I’m concerned.
Minus the turnovers pats win. I thought they looked the better team today.

Boutte was purported to be at his locker still fully dressed and upset after the game. Watching that replay it was clear to me he could have dragged that back foot if his head was in the PRO game.

I think there were a few throws that were a bit off BUT catchable. The rain didn't help in the first half. Overall, Mac's accuracy is very good. We, as Patriots fans, nit pick this poor guy to death. 65% yesterday in the heavy rain? I will take it.
That's not nip picking. That's addressing a weakness. To take next step in his development. Making betters reads & accuracy on 15+ passes. So Defenses aren't undercutting or pressure man coverage. To take away the short or middle of field.

Last edited:
That's not nip picking. That's addressing a weakness. To take next step in his development. Making betters reads & accuracy on 15+ passes. So Defenses aren't undercutting or pressure man coverage. To take away the short or middle of field.
Everybody can improve in all areas, but 65% in a game that was half played in the driving rain is impressive.

The Pats played a good game yesterday. It’s clear the team has improved, and the improvement in offensive coaching was unmistakable. I mean huge difference. It’s obvious the team has improved.
That said I’ve thought all offseason this team could improve and end up with a worse record. The ball really bounced NEs way last year.
There are no moral victories though. At some point to be the best the Pats have to beat the best.

I couldn’t read the story as it is behind a paywall, but Philly.com stories were on their concerns for their offense after how they looked against Patriots
lets see how things develop (like we have much choice). I think we will see very good performances which will win some and also growing pains that willlose some early season games, but hopefully work thru for a strong middle and end of season run

There is zero doubt the 2023 version of the Patriots is a helluva a lot better than the 2022 version. Also, the defense (especially the front seven) the Eagles have assembled is at worst Pro Bowl-ish and there are a few who could be hall-of-fame-ish by the time their careers are over. In other words, that was a bad arse defense we were going against yesterday. That has to be taken into consideration, and it was only week 1. Things don't look as bleak as some may have thought going into this season.

I couldn’t read the story as it is behind a paywall, but Philly.com stories were on their concerns for their offense after how they looked against Patriots
lets see how things develop (like we have much choice). I think we will see very good performances which will win some and also growing pains that willlose some early season games, but hopefully work thru for a strong middle and end of season run
Best I could do. Some sites try harder to hide their content than others. Philly.com tries hard.

Link copied to clipboard

The Eagles won, but they have some reason for concern after the offense struggled vs. the Patriots

Perhaps while dealing with some rust and adjusting to new coordinator Brian Johnson, the Eagles offense struggled at times and had some questionable play-calling.

CUI456HQGZETTJLG2FL26HPEXU.jpg.webp

Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts and center Jason Kelce walk off the field after the Eagles beat the New England Patriots 25-20 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass. on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2023Read moreYong Kim / Staff Photographer

by Jeff McLane Published Sep. 11, 2023, 5:00 a.m. ET
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. – As Nick Sirianni walked to the podium he asked an aide if his former coordinators Shane Steichen and Jonathan Gannon, and his former boss Frank Reich won in their first games as head coaches of the Colts, Cardinals, and Panthers, respectively.

They did not.

Its tough to win the NFL, as the cliche goes, but the Eagles’ ugly 25-20 victory over the Patriots on Sunday suggested the opposite: It’s also tough to lose when you have superior talent.

And despite some questionable decision-making from Sirianni and play-calling from Steichen’s and Gannon’s replacements — Brian Johnson and Sean Desai — the Eagles escaped Gillette Stadium with a season opener that they better hope had more to do with new faces at the coordinator spots than anything related to their competency.

But at the risk of falling into a Week 1 overreaction trap, there was obvious reason for concern, especially on the offensive side of the ball where the Eagles had little change this offseason, the most significant being Johnson.

Sirianni didn’t seem to take issue with his offensive coordinator’s first game ever as an NFL play-caller, even though it was statistically speaking that unit’s worst outing since 2021.

I thought he was awesome,†Sirianni said. “I thought he adjusted. Communication was great. I didn’t feel [there were] operation problems on the offensive side. We had some operation problems elsewhere. … Brian’s cool and calm and has a great demeanor about himself.

He made some adjustments in the second half to throw it more knowing we were struggling in the run game.â€

The numbers were far from awesome, though. The offense scored only one touchdown — thanks to the short field set up by a Jordan Davis forced fumble — and settled for four field goals. The Eagles finished with only 251 total yards and 4.1 yards per play — lower than any game last season aside from the 3.9 yards they were held to by the Cowboys in Week 6.

Sirianni credited Bill Belichick and the Patriots, and rightfully so. If they were going to have any chance against the defending NFC champions, they were going to have to hang their hats on their defense.

They have top-end personnel led by edge rusher Matthew Judon, but Belichick employed a coverage scheme that kept Hurts and his receivers off-kilter for most of the game.

I don’t know what their game plan was,†receiver DeVonta Smith said. “They did a great job of disguising their coverage. We never knew what they were doing, so I honestly can’t tell you what they were doing.â€

According to receiver A.J. Brown, the Patriots were trusting their cornerbacks on the outside, but clogging up the middle with defenders passing off in match-up zones.

I think Belichick did a really good job of just throwing lots of stuff at us,†Brown said. “Changing a lot of things up at the last minute, and it was tough. I don’t think we were not prepared, but I just think he was throwing so many curveballs and it was just hard to adjust.â€

Hurts, though, had a different take on the Patriots’ pre-snap disguises.

The NFL is a huge league of disguises,†he said. “That’s what it is … so for us, I don’t think it’s necessarily about anyone else. It’s about us and how we control the things that we can.â€

Hurts completed 9 of 13 passes in the first half, but for just 47 yards. Johnson’s halftime adjustments opened up the passing game some in the second half. Brown and Smith caught nine passes for 126 yards after the break.

But New England took away the deep half from the outside receivers and, most impressively, the short half from Dallas Goedert. The tight end was shut out and had only one target the entire game. Some of that had to do with the defense, but there were a few occasions when Hurts simply missed him.

€œWe can’t go a game without getting him the football. He’s too good of a playmaker,†Sirianni said. “But there were some things that the Patriots did that made it difficult to get him quick, easy touches.â€

A steady rain factored into Johnson’s run-heavy play-calling in the first half. It worked well on the opening drive with starting running back Kenneth Gainwell carrying the load. But the series stalled on third down on a play that seemed to confuse the offense and resulted in a busted block that allowed Judon a free pass at Hurts.

Darius Slay’s pick-six gave the Eagles a 10-0 lead, and Hurts hit Smith in the end zone on a sprint out after the Davis turnover, but the offense went three-and-out on its next four possessions.

One of the drives ended with a Boston Scott run up the middle on third-and-10.

That third-and-10, if I get [Patriots linebacker Ja’Whaun] Bentley and we pin this down, that play’s a first down,†Eagles center Jason Kelce said. “I know it’s questionable. But in my opinion that call was wide open. … Shane, if we’re talking about play-calling, he used to run the ball all the time on third down.â€

Sirianni said run calls in those situations could be labeled aggressive, but the Eagles were often passive. He ran out the clock before the half even though he had two timeouts and 25 seconds left, and Johnson once settled for a 56-yard Jake Elliott field goal — which he, of course, made — with a run on third-and-20.

While Sirianni said Johnson called the game “with conviction,†Hurts seemed to acknowledge that there will be an adjustment period.

That’s something that we are navigating,†he said, “and that is something that happens when you have different roles and new guys and new places and new faces. We’re going to continue to grow.â€

Sirianni conceded that rust may have contributed to the overall sloppiness. He opted to not play his starters in the preseason for the first time, something he indicated that he regretted.

ll re-evaluate that,†Sirianni said. “Second thought, if I had to do it all over again right now, I’d say, yeah, I’d play the starters one or two drives in the preseason.â€

Hurts didn’t want to look back, and the same could be said for how he viewed the game he had just finished. He didn’t get much assistance from his offensive line and his play-caller, but he missed reads, took sacks, and had what could have been a game-turning fumble with three and a half minutes remaining.

I think we obviously have things that we need to work on and have to be better in those situations when the ball is in my hands, and I take full accountability for that,†Hurts said. “But good thing about it is we get the opportunity to play on Thursday.â€

And the best thing about it is they won a game they had every right to lose.

Kudos to the O line. Two rookies and the first time the line played together as a unit (that's what Romo and Nantz said pre game)

2 sacks? Excellent I'd say.

I thought they'd get run off the field yesterday and for one quarter they did, and for three they did not. Certainly not good enough but I am sure most had this game penciled in as an L, so that's all it was: One L

As I've stated, I am not the biggest Mac Jones fan on the planet but I fully endorse the Patriots drafting him in the position they did. What has disappointed me most is that Jones hasn't had that signature come-from-behind moment, but he almost had it yesterday and two major reasons why were the holding penalty on the conversion try, as well as Boutte. I won't pin the 4th quarter on Mac but I do expect this team to correct this shit.

And thankfully, 1 game out of this miserable 4-game stretch to start the season is in the rearview mirror.

Last edited:
i also like to keep in mind that mac isn't at the point of his career where he is likely confortable enough continuity wise and where he is in the offense where he can make the type of on field teammate corrections vet qbs do. having b.o.b. is huge just for that reason. they have a lot of new pieces and lest we forget,less practice and play together time than was available even 3 years ago. this type of restriction hurts teams like the pats which are game scheme specific more than it hurts athletic "do what we do"teams. this is one reason why i am heartened that they have gotten WAY more athletic/speedy these past few drafts.

Listen and understand very carefully.

The Eagles sucked against the Patriots yesterday. They did not beat the Patriots. The Patriots beat the Patriots.

1. Mac throws a pick 6 INT 6 Points Eagles
2. Elliot fumbles on the Patriots' side of the field. 6 Points Eagles and the PAT is missed.
3. 3rd and 8 and Boutte steps out of bounds instead of dropping his foot and dragging it. Patriots punt.
4. Anderson slams a DL to the ground and gets a holding call. On the opposite side of the field from the play. Nullifies a two point PAT.
5. With 20 seconds left on a 4th and twelve with 20 seconds left in the game, Boutte catches a 14 yard pass and for the second time in the game does not put his foot down and drag it. END OF GAME.

Without the turnovers and penalties the Eagles scored 12 points on long FGs. Not a single chip shot.

This week will be a real measuring stick. Eliminate the turnovers and do to Tua what they did to Hurts. Simple to say, tough to do.

The Eagles sucked against the Patriots yesterday. They did not beat the Patriots. The Patriots beat the Patriots.

2. Elliot fumbles on the Patriots' side of the field. 6 Points Eagles and the PAT is missed.
3. 3rd and 8 and Boutte steps out of bounds instead of dropping his foot and dragging it. Patriots punt.
4. Anderson slams a DL to the ground and gets a holding call. On the opposite side of the field from the play. Nullifies a two point PAT.
5. With 20 seconds left on a 4th and twelve with 20 seconds left in the game, Boutte catches a 14 yard pass and for the second time in the game does not put his foot down and drag it. END OF GAME.

Without the turnovers and penalties the Eagles scored 12 points on long FGs. Not a single chip shot.

This week will be a real measuring stick. Eliminate the turnovers and do to Tua what they did to Hurts. Simple to say, tough to do.

"Listen and understand very carefully."

Thank you for showing up. Mondays are always boring and I was looking forward to some belly laughs.

You never disappoint!

thoughts had about last nite's game in the shower this AM lathering up my nethers......

the Pats D looked so good as a group that they even made Myles Bryant look amazing out there

altho, kudos due to #27 for that rocket-launched fast closing tackle on a Eagle in the flats w/ not a Pats helmut in sight
(I did see :huh: that happen, didn't I??) 🙂

IMO, the Fins are tougher match up for us skill players-wise. Hill was an absolute beast yesterday. I think our offense should be able to get into a nice rhythm vs their D.

Back