What's for dinner?

Company last night did a big bowl of shrimp etouffee. Picked up a nice frame for a homemade stock, added a couple ears of fresh corn and substituted a couple our poblanos in the trinity for the green bells. Everyone seemed to like it, I thought it was excellent. Served with a salad of my sliced Tomatoes, red onions,fresh mozzarella and Basil. Our peaches in a cobbler to wrap it up. num. Why we all love the high Summer.

The fam wanted comfort food last night so I made this and everyone had 2nd helpings.
I used wild rice which gave it extra flavor and texture.
Highly recommend this recipe. Simple to make and so Mmmmmm good!

Company last night did a big bowl of shrimp etouffee. Picked up a nice frame for a homemade stock, added a couple ears of fresh corn and substituted a couple our poblanos in the trinity for the green bells. Everyone seemed to like it, I thought it was excellent. Served with a salad of my sliced Tomatoes, red onions,fresh mozzarella and Basil. Our peaches in a cobbler to wrap it up. num. Why we all love the high Summer.

Can't have shellfish but it sounds wonderful. I'll make another peach cobbler this afternoon.
This is the recipe I use. Simple, quick and 5 stars

The fam wanted comfort food last night so I made this and everyone had 2nd helpings.

Sounds great. Personally I love Szechuan Chicken and broccoli, a simple and tasty stir.

Cheers

Sounds great. Personally I love Szechuan Chicken and broccoli, a simple and tasty stir.

Cheers

Totally different flavor profile but really good in its own right. My better half does the stir fry technique and I'm happy to let her do it since I don't enjoy the the panicked chaos of stir fry cooking.

Home made pizza yum, granddaughter no 1 had her golf lesson and is staying with me tonight.

~Dee~

Cheers
Szechuan chicken with peppers and onions is my favorite.

I’ve also made my own stirfry, which was a little bit like a brown gravy that you would have in chicken and broccoli recipe. I start off by Browning the chicken in a Very hot wok. I usually give it some garlic soy sauce and cayenne for kick. . Once the chicken is almost cooked through I then add the vegetables, and believe it or not I like to use frozen cauliflower for this recipe besides the onions peppers. I add some water to the wok, and then I cover steaming the vegetables. While the vegetables are steaming I make my sauce, which is soy sauce, oyster sauce, Cayenne and Little bit of teriyaki sauce. Then I add water, cornstarch to the mixture, and stir it thoroughly making sure there’s no lumps. Once the veggies are softened I then add the sauce and it makes a tremendous gravy. I like extra liquid that way the white rice Will soak it up.

I’ve also made my own stirfry, which was a little bit like a brown gravy that you would have in chicken and broccoli recipe. I start off by Browning the chicken in a Very hot wok. I usually give it some garlic soy sauce and cayenne for kick. . Once the chicken is almost cooked through I then add the vegetables, and believe it or not I like to use frozen cauliflower for this recipe besides the onions peppers. I add some water to the wok, and then I cover steaming the vegetables. While the vegetables are steaming I make my sauce, which is soy sauce, oyster sauce, Cayenne and Little bit of teriyaki sauce. Then I add water, cornstarch to the mixture, and stir it thoroughly making sure there’s no lumps. Once the veggies are softened I then add the sauce and it makes a tremendous gravy. I like extra liquid that way the white rice Will soak it up.
I will have a go at this! Sounds perfect.

Nothing fancy around here tonight. It's the anniversary of Elvis's death and my wife is a big Elvis fan so I made fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches and homemade macaroni and cheese.

Two questions.

did you add gumbo fille?

did you add dry sherry at the end before letting it rest?

IMHO the two essential steps in any gumbo, etoufee, or jambalay.

Totally different flavor profile but really good in its own right. My better half does the stir fry technique and I'm happy to let her do it since I don't enjoy the the panicked chaos of stir fry cooking.

curious.

i’ve always considered stir fry “simple”, as long as one follows a few simple rules.

first, cook each major item separately. You’re not making a stew. Cook each item and then remove it from the wok. Combine everything at the end for a final heat through, and if applicable, add the sauce.

second, cook the items in the right order, that being defined as how much the item will continue to “cook” once it is removed from the heat.

you want things that won’t turn to mush as they sit while you’re cooking the rest.

for example, if I’m cooking broccoli, I’ll start with that. I’ll also take it out before it’s done, knowing it will continue to cook. Basically use the same rules regarding blanching and the color change. Err on raw versus overcooked.

finally every wok dish should get a few dashes of toasted sesame oil just before serving

See my previous post.

that’s a stew, not a stirfry.

try sir frying the cauliflower, then pull it out. Then the peppers, by themselves, then add the onions, only until they just start to soften. you could steam the veggies, but i’d try it without.

pull that all out, then cook the chicken.

when the chicken is done, add the veggies back in and add the sauce.

you didn’t mention if you coat the chicken in anything before putting it in the wok. If you roll it in corn starch, then that will absorb the sauce.

if you want more of a General Tao’s style chicken do that but do more of a deep fry in the wok. Cook the chicken in batches so that they are at least halfway deep in the oil. Remove most of the oil when you recombine everythin.

What method did you use on the ribs? Did you wrap them at all?
321 first 3 at 185 then 225 for the wrapped and last hour. Thinking I will try 312 and see how that goes.

321 first 3 at 185 then 225 for the wrapped and last hour. Thinking I will try 312 and see how that goes.
Yep, that's what I was going to suggest. Definitely give them 3 hours of smoke. Then wrap for an hour. I usually cut the last hour short though. Just however long it takes to kind of dry all the moisture off of the outside of the ribs.

WTF? I just ate the same thing! Stop stalking me!

Soy boy... :coffee:

Back