What's for dinner?

curious.

i’ve always considered stir fry “simple”, as long as one follows a few simple rules.

first, cook each major item separately. You’re not making a stew. Cook each item and then remove it from the wok. Combine everything at the end for a final heat through, and if applicable, add the sauce.

second, cook the items in the right order, that being defined as how much the item will continue to “cook” once it is removed from the heat.

you want things that won’t turn to mush as they sit while you’re cooking the rest.

for example, if I’m cooking broccoli, I’ll start with that. I’ll also take it out before it’s done, knowing it will continue to cook. Basically use the same rules regarding blanching and the color change. Err on raw versus overcooked.

finally every wok dish should get a few dashes of toasted sesame oil just before serving

It may be simple but it's also chaotic for me. Besides, I can't dance and cook simultaneously

View: https://twitter.com/TansuYegen/status/1559602906206244864

See my previous post.

that’s a stew, not a stirfry.

try sir frying the cauliflower, then pull it out. Then the peppers, by themselves, then add the onions, only until they just start to soften. you could steam the veggies, but i’d try it without.

pull that all out, then cook the chicken.

when the chicken is done, add the veggies back in and add the sauce.

you didn’t mention if you coat the chicken in anything before putting it in the wok. If you roll it in corn starch, then that will absorb the sauce.

if you want more of a General Tao’s style chicken do that but do more of a deep fry in the wok. Cook the chicken in batches so that they are at least halfway deep in the oil. Remove most of the oil when you recombine everythin.
Yeah I understand where you’re coming from. I’ve done it like that many times. I like the stew Version the best. If that’s what you wanna call it. Yeah I don’t bother with the corn starch or flowering the chicken. Now if I was gonna make generals chicken then I would make this corn starch and water combination. Also if you marinate the chicken beforehand you will get much juicier pieces.

BLT and an ear of todays corn

(thick sliced uncured) Perfect Paul Robeson Tomato, Homemade dutch oven baked toasted multigrain.)

It's still summer.

Cheers, BostonTim

head-shake-no.gif

Sloppy Joe on toasted Italian bread with Mexican cheese. Then I had two toasted English muffins with butter and cottage cheese for dessert.

Ribs 2 racks slow cooked in a Cajan dry rub, and the second rack with rub and home made BBQ sauce, homemade coleslaw and macaroni salad, and fries. It’s good to be home lol.

~Dee~

No file. Love the okramostly but didn't use with this. . A splash of amontillado
Interesting. Never tried Amontillado.

i keep a bottle of fino and Stone‘s Green Ginger wine adjacent to my bottle of EVO next to the stove.

the Stone’s is essentially fino with a huge ginger infusion. Much easier to use than ginger root, when the recipe calls for it.

Forgot to mention this, but made a 4 pound batch of french fries using the Food Lab cookbook recipie.

sliced russet potatoes with my mandolin.

boil them in water with salt and vinegar till you can push a fork through them, but still firm.

deep fry them, in batches, for 50 seconds.

that’s the “pre cook” stage.

you can freeze them at this stage and fry them frozen later.

deep fry them for the meal, frozen, until golden brown.

the crispiest fries i’ve ever had. Crunchiness comparable to a chip, doretois, etc. but still french fie goodness.

I’ve also made my own stirfry, which was a little bit like a brown gravy that you would have in chicken and broccoli recipe. I start off by Browning the chicken in a Very hot wok. I usually give it some garlic soy sauce and cayenne for kick. . Once the chicken is almost cooked through I then add the vegetables, and believe it or not I like to use frozen cauliflower for this recipe besides the onions peppers. I add some water to the wok, and then I cover steaming the vegetables. While the vegetables are steaming I make my sauce, which is soy sauce, oyster sauce, Cayenne and Little bit of teriyaki sauce. Then I add water, cornstarch to the mixture, and stir it thoroughly making sure there’s no lumps. Once the veggies are softened I then add the sauce and it makes a tremendous gravy. I like extra liquid that way the white rice Will soak it up.
I actually had a pic of my dish that I made on. 12-23-21🤣🤣🤣🤣9F88C540-7EB1-4CDB-9667-84ABAA589DC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Back