What's for dinner?

My mom is the BEST cook. Everything is from scratch. If I could be half the cook she is, I would seriously weigh 500 lbs. Pierogies, bread, cakes, pies, you name it, she makes it all from scratch.

We've tweaked our eating to lean proteins and LOTS of veggies in the last few months. Lots of chicken and fish with the odd steak or burger thrown in but ALWAYS have at least 2 sides of steamed veggies. My son's and my favorite? Steamed brussel sprouts - they smell horrid when cooking but give me a big bowl of them at every meal and I am in heaven! My husband hates them so I just give him spinach and he's a happy man.

Last night we had baked salmon with a butter garlic sauce and a side of steamed cauliflower and fiddleheads (they are an acadian thing up here - I'm sure Muse has eaten PLENTY of them ;) )
Fiddleheads are awesome

l❤ve brussel sprouts. never even tasted tbenm until i was in my 40s!
Uggggg...

I can't stand the smell of them. No idea why. The rest of the fam loves them. I will leave and go get a sandwich somewhere if I walk in on that smell. It just happened a couple of weeks ago. When I got back I opened all the windows on the main floor.

I love Brussel sprouts roasted with salt and pepper. My only issue with them is, they smell like Farts while they are cooking.
Yep, My hubby hate broccoli because of the smell while its cooking, so now I cook brussel sprout with the broccoli ...

~Dee~

I don't like okra.
I don't like liver.

And you'll never catch me making a rabbit stew... childhood memory.
Or any tongue, brain or eyes of any animal... again childhood memory.

BTW Chicken Kapama tonight.
carry on.

Last edited:
Well I can't say I don't like all liver.
Foie Gras is the bomb... but I wouldn't know how to make it ( or get it).
I just figured mashed chicken liver was better then anything in a jar.... I very rarely feed my kids jared food.. I cooked most of their food, and my dad provided most of the garden veggies and fruit I was lucky.

~Dee~

Well I can't say I don't like all liver.
Foie Gras is the bomb... but I wouldn't know how to make it ( or get it).
Ralph's should have it - look around the dairy case where the good cheeses are sold. Or just ask at the deli counter for pâté.

One of my roomies in college knew about my aversion to liver (specifically beef).
I come into the apartment one evening and I smell it immediately... He had put it in a blender and started chasing me around the rooms with it...

Ralph's should have it - look around the dairy case where the good cheeses are sold. Or just ask at the deli counter for pâté.
I thought it was outlawed now... you know CA BS... can you help me make it? It's probably 6 years since I have had it... you may remember the Marine Room in La Jolla?

I thought it was outlawed now... you know CA BS... can you help me make it? It's probably 6 years since I have had it... you may remember the Marine Room in La Jolla?
Goose liver pate is what was outlawed, I think. Chicken liver pâté and others should still be available.

It's pretty easy to make - Mrs. TR makes it occasionally. And chicken liver is one of the most inexpensive sources of protein out there.

Here's a recipe that is similar to what she does: Chicken Liver Pâté Recipe

I think Mrs. TR uses heavy cream in hers.

Goose liver pate is what was outlawed, I think. Chicken liver pâté and others should still be available.

It's pretty easy to make - Mrs. TR makes it occasionally. And chicken liver is one of the most inexpensive sources of protein out there.

Here's a recipe that similar to what she does: Chicken Liver Pâté Recipe

I think Mrs. TR uses heavy cream in hers.
Ok THanks.

I know what I had was either Duck or Goose. It was memorable....like candy. Loved it.

One more thing.. I dont't remember it being a spread. It was someting I could cut into. But it was an Hors d'oeuver

I think we were celebrating our 30th.. tide was up, amazing sunset, and an amazing appetizer...

Have you ever been to the Marine Room?

Last edited:
Tonight I tried a new recipe (weight watchers) -- a Pork Mole.

It was a fairly complex one with pan-searing two big pork tenderloins in a dutch oven and then a couple of hours in the oven at 200 degrees.
The mole sauce had spanish onion, chipotle with adobo, garlic, fresh tomatoes, unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin, peanut butter and cilantro. It also called
for poblano peppers, but I can't get them easily around here and the chipotle is so tangy that I used about half of the recipe amount and it was still
plenty spicy.

The consensus was it was worth the work. The pork was tender and flavorful, shred easily and will make some fine tacos or quesadillas for an
easy future dinner. The key to flavor, to me, is not to make a dish so spicy your lips fall off, but to balance the heat with some sweet so
your taste buds have some work to do to figure out which it is. I shoot for a little complexity.

If you're going to do all that work then you might as well do it on a bitter cold, icy day when you don't want to be out running around anyhow.

Tonight I tried a new recipe (weight watchers) -- a Pork Mole.

It was a fairly complex one with pan-searing two big pork tenderloins in a dutch oven and then a couple of hours in the oven at 200 degrees.
The mole sauce had spanish onion, chipotle with adobo, garlic, fresh tomatoes, unsweetened cocoa powder, cumin, peanut butter and cilantro. It also called
for poblano peppers, but I can't get them easily around here and the chipotle is so tangy that I used about half of the recipe amount and it was still
plenty spicy.

The consensus was it was worth the work. The pork was tender and flavorful, shred easily and will make some fine tacos or quesadillas for an
easy future dinner. The key to flavor, to me, is not to make a dish so spicy your lips fall off, but to balance the heat with some sweet so
your taste buds have some work to do to figure out which it is. I shoot for a little complexity.

If you're going to do all that work then you might as well do it on a bitter cold, icy day when you don't want to be out running around anyhow.
But Moar Heat Please. :rofl:

Off topic... you ever witness a green flash? We did that evening
Funny you should mention that - the only time I've seen a green flash was after dinner at Jake's.

The next time we're in the San Diego area, we'll check out the Marine Room - looks like a great place.

Back