What's the scariest thing that ever happened to you?

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess for me it was being a stupid teenager and climbing a mountain in the snow with no gear. Lost my footing and almost slid uncontrollably, hanging on by my finger tips. (it wasn't even real climbing, just a trail up a mountain). Anyway, decided that was high enough and decided to go back down.

How about you?

Ummmm........cardiac arrest?

It was either that or seeing Ellis Hobbs in single coverage on Plaxico Burress in the closing seconds of SB 42.

I was driving with a friend on I-95 eight years back - he was driving and I was in the front passenger seat. He hit the rumble strips on the left-hand side of the road and over-corrected to get back onto the asphalt.

Needless to say, the car fish-tailed and careened off the left-hand side of the road. Mind you, there was a 20 foot grass median dividing the north and southbound lanes (no guardrails). At this time, he was locking up the brakes and somehow we didn't hit a thing, ended up to the right of a patch of trees and luckily walked away unharmed.

The car was nearly totaled. Both driver-side tires were flat, multiple scratch marks from the trees as we were slid near a stop. To make matters worse, he got a ticket for careless driving from the state trooper.

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

STORY 2:

About 16 years ago, when I was back in college, I was waiting at a red light as a passenger with a buddy of mine. It was a three lane road and we were in the middle lane. Out of nowhere, I hear a car locking up their brakes and *BAM*, this lady rear-ended the car in the right hand lane next to me. She hit the car so hard that it did damage to the car in front of it (1st car waiting). I am not sure how fast she hit, but it had to be at least 25-30 MPH.

All I can remember is trying to look inside the car which caused the rear end accident and the whole passenger compartment was filled with smoke/dust, presumably from the air bag going off.

I can only imagine what it would have been like if the lady was in the middle lane behind us.

This accident literally happened right next to me and I was in shock for a full week afterwards.

Almost drowned as a kid, a few serious asthma attacks...ran out of albuterol, drank 2 fifths of vodka in 10 minutes on a bet in high school...worst hangovah eva, passed out in a snow bank without a winter coat in -20 weather...after falling out of a three story apartment building...at a high school party, I had a heart attack, or something a lot like it after eating dinner after work about 18 years ago, got hit with 600 volts...good thing it wasn't watts, etc....I definitely had some close brushes with death.

Seeing my child like this for about two days!

As a small kid, worrying about snakes coming up from the toilet and biting my ass.

Taking my state board exams.

Suturing a 17 hand thoroughbred's hind foot only to have him buck & knock me over. I opened my eyes just in time to see 1 foot land 2" from my left ear and the other foot land 1" from my right ear. I never worked on horses again. **** em. This was a Dover, MA teenager's hunter/jumper. A week later I heard the same horse kicked a Vet from RI and shattered his elbow. No thanks.

Getting an IRS certified letter 3 years ago that I owed taxes, interest and penalties on $1.3M of income I didn't report. Their mistake but it cost me $9K and many sleepless nights to have a CPA show them their error. SS# was mine but the name on the W2 (and income) wasn't.

Getting cancer, and being told by an oncologist after the biopsy that my odds of surviving were around 20%.

Almost losing our then 2 year old daughter to a bacterial infection that should have been covered by one of her immunizations. She was stabilized and air lifted to a hospital 4 hours away. We made arrangements with family to take care of our then new-born son and our 14 year old and took off. Don't remember much of that 4 hour drive - only bits and pieces (probably repressed the memory).

I've never seen so many wires and tubes come out of a toddler. They finally found the right combo of antibiotics and a little over a week later, she was released.

I think we slept maybe 4 hours that whole week.. we now know what hell is.

8 days after she was flown there, we got a bill from LifeFlight - for $12,000 - our insurance paid a big chunk which left us with a $2000 balance. A bill that I would gladly pay again because without the speed of transfer & the pediatric ICU doctors/nurses, she wouldn't have made it through that night.

I'm quite positive the sheriff or John Holmes perm whatever his name is would have certainly added an interesting story I'm sure. I bet he would have said something like he jumped out of an airplane and forgot his parachute and luckily for him he used the wind currents and guided himself into a tree forest and used to branches to slow his momentum and landed in a lake and only had a bruised tailbone.

I was 21 I spit my knee cap in 2. One piece was in my calf the other in my thigh. I broke my wrist trying to stand up after I blacked out going for a dunk on a 6 foot rim.

First story. To make a long story short my accelerator got stuck 145 miles an hour. I had very little time to stop the car because the road I was on was ending. And if I kept going I would have hit the guardrail and tons of pine trees. I slammed on the brakes first, which was a mistake, and the car lunged into the other lane, and I slam the car into neutral hit the brakes as hard as I could again, and skidded right to the stop sign line. I found out and air cleaner hose was the cause. The linkage on my Rochester 4 barrel grab ahold of it, and kept it wide open.

Story number two. My wife at the time was having my middle daughter and she was having trouble pushing her out. They stuck a probe into the baby's head the monitor her heart rate. The baby's heart stopped, while the baby was in my ex wife birthing canal. A doctor with a bald head rolled my ex on her hands and knees stuck both hands halfway to his elbow in her snatch. He then massage the babies heart and got her pulse going. It's the first time I actually left the room for about 25 seconds. My mother in law and mother was right out the door listening to my ex wife scream bloody murder. I never thought two hands could go that far up a woman snatch. Found out the umbilical cord was wrapped around my daughter's neck so tight it was also stopping the heart and preventing the baby from leaving the birthing canal. It was pretty scary I must say.

Almost losing our then 2 year old daughter to a bacterial infection that should have been covered by one of her immunizations. She was stabilized and air lifted to a hospital 4 hours away. We made arrangements with family to take care of our then new-born son and our 14 year old and took off. Don't remember much of that 4 hour drive - only bits and pieces (probably repressed the memory).

I've never seen so many wires and tubes come out of a toddler. They finally found the right combo of antibiotics and a little over a week later, she was released.

I think we slept maybe 4 hours that whole week.. we now know what hell is.

8 days after she was flown there, we got a bill from LifeFlight - for $12,000 - our insurance paid a big chunk which left us with a $2000 balance. A bill that I would gladly pay again because without the speed of transfer & the pediatric ICU doctors/nurses, she wouldn't have made it through that night.

I am still waiting for the bill from the stay my picture was in, not looking forward to it. I can't imagine that the incubator was not an extra fee. I feel for any parent who has had to have their child in the hospital, especially young ones. My baby didn't have many wires and tubes but was enough to scare me to where I was afraid to hold her.

I was 21 I spit my knee cap in 2. One piece was in my calf the other in my thigh. I broke my wrist trying to stand up after I blacked out going for a dunk on a 6 foot rim.

Wait.....what?

Is that two separate stories?

How could you break your wrist trying to stand up?

Why did you black out?

What did you hope to achieve by dunking on a 6 foot rim?

I know that is a lot of questions, but I'm sure I can't be the only one wondering.

Truth. I was once in a bar in Mexico and the waitress convinced me to do tequila shots by employing an unusual method. She blew a very loud whistle in my ear while simultaneously twisting my nipples. I figured I better get busy drinking before she went to phase 3.

True story. And kind of scary now that I think about it.

I guess the older you are the more of these instances you may accumulate. And maybe the luckier you are as well.

Story 1. Riding motorcycle and road rage car driver attempts to force me off the highway.
There was no provocation at all, I'd been cruising for several miles in 5 PM traffic on Rt 3 in southern NH / Lowell area. I notice white pickup next to me, getting closer, and look over to see driver, face in rage, screaming at me through closed window. I am in passing lane. Road is under construction, and this guy comes right at me and forces me almost to jersey barrier on my left. I got about 18 inches of space to maneuver. The guy in front of me sees what is going on and moves to the right and I passed him on the left, in the breakdown lane. My butt hole is clenched believe me and I could only think WTF did I do here? So now I'm one car up and here comes this guy on the right again coming right after me. So I bailed out again, yet another driver gave me some space, I got in the right hand break down lane and f-ing took off, 100 MPh, and this guy is still coming. I knew I had to get off that highway. Got off next exit ramp, 2 cars backed up at stop sign, I got nowhere to go and here comes truck. Shut off bike and got the hell off it right there. Truck stops, driver gets out, the guy is huge, like 6 foot 6 and about 300 lbs. He comes after me, and I instinctively wound up and kicked him, got him right in the chin, and he hit the ground like a freaking dead mackerel. I screamed at him FVCK you you a hole. And then I got on my bike and rode home, wondering if I killed him, did anyone call the law, get my plate number or anything. Never heard a word. I can't imagine what I did to piss him off to this day, I'm not a crazy rider and I don't take chances. Then I started thinking, I'm wearing an armoured motorcycle suit, a full coverage helmet, and steel toed riding boots. WTF was the guy going to do to hurt me anyway. But you don't think, you just react. The next morning I smiled a little because I timed that kick perfect and I'm sure I broke his jaw at the very least. He was lights out on the ground.

Story 2: 1990. Hot summer night, no AC, trying to sleep, my infant son in next room in his crib. It is dead calm, all the windows open. Out of the blue at 2 AM there is thunderous crash and my whole house shakes, shit falls off shelfs, and I jumped so high out of bed that I hit my head on the ceiling, yelling WTF WAS THAT!!!.
Go outside, and a 50 foot pine tree nearby had decided to fall. On my house. Caved in the roof over my sons crib but didn't go further. Called 911, they came down, and could not believe their eyes either. No harm done. Fixed the roof myself and pocketed the insurance money.

Back