When/Why did you become a Patriots fan

I landed on PP via CP...and just sort of stayed, and figured that there was nothing wrong with liking a second team....and so the love affair began.....as for why...you could say I wanted to enjoy some winning in my football watching, so why not the pats.....:D

Around 1961 I first started to understand what was going on in sports.

My Dad was a huge baseball fan, so I remember seeing Ted Williams bat because he said it was important to watch.

Saw Jimmy Brown, (as he was called then) at the Elks club and I remember Cousy throwing the ball up in the air with another championship.

I knew there was a new football team, but they weren't on TV. DLines were the thing, (Purple people eaters, Fearsome foursome) and we had a great one, probably the best to this day, taking different schemes and levels of competition into consideration.

Larry Garron was my first favorite and I would look at his stats in the paper. Of course Nance came along as a big time threat, if only for a few years.

After a couple years, I really started whining to my Dad, "when are the Patriots gonna be on TV, I'm sick of the Giants."

Soon they were, but not all the time and with Holovak coaching we had some pretty good teams, but no luck in the post-season.

I grew up in the Boston area.

Same reason I'm a Sox, Cs and Bs fan.

I developed a true love for the Pats around 1989 because I must be a masochist.

My dad has always been a hardcore Pats fan, so I got it from him. :D

I missed that part of the question was "when" did I become a Pats fan. Somewhere around 1970 or 1971, and I became a diehard fan in 1974, when the Pats started off 6-1 (and then somewhat predictably finished 1-6). But the only factor was age; I became a Pats fan when I understood football enough to be a serious fan, or when I was about 7 or 8 years old.

The 1976 team remains one of my favorite teams in any sport ever.

Hey, everyone...I just switched from the official Pats board to this one, due to personal reasons.
When I became a Pats fan? In the late 70`s, I became interested in them, and in the 80`s, I became a season tix holder. Unfortunately, around 1991, I gave them up, because the price kept going up, and the team wasn`t very good. Boy, what a mistake that was. I still try to get to a couple of games a year.

patsman1973 on 02-07-2007 at 07:28 AM said:
Does anyone know what ever happened to Coach Mac...didn't he leave the Pats coaching job due to ill health...???

Not sure where he is now. He had heart problems in '92, his 2nd season. Dante Scarnechia acted as the interim HC for much of the season. Mac was fired following the '92 season. Perhaps health was a factor, but a 2-14 record was a bigger factor.

patsman1973 on 02-07-2007 at 07:28 AM said:
Does anyone know what ever happened to Coach Mac...didn't he leave the Pats coaching job due to ill health...???

He's doing play by play for the Syracuse games on a local radio station. As impossible as this may sound....he was better as a coach!

My rebellious youth, Dad was watching the Bills after church, so I wanted my own team! ROFL I got to see them a couple times a year, it was cemented thanks to Ben Dreith and the team I most despised!

I became a pats fan in the early 90's, my dad was a redskin fan and i didnt want to be a damn redskin fan. being from san diego my mom wanted me to be a charger fan, screw that, so i first started to roo for the farthest team from san digeo, chose the patriots. when they drafted a guy from walla walla that made it final.

Hi, new to the site, but pats fan since 1980... season ticket holder since 2000 (i know, lucky huh)

I use to be a big Cowboy fan as a kid. They were a classy team. Alot of there players started getting arrested. I looked for another team. The Patriots. I love football. My dad taught me how to play. I have 6 brothers who also love football. However, I will be honest. At the risk of never being takin seriosly. I was first attracted to the Patriots after seeing Brady play in 2001.

The first football game that I watched with any rooting interest was SB 20. I was watching it at the Blue Ridge Rehabilitation Center where my father was getting treatment for his alcoholism. I can still remember how excited everyone was when NE kicked the FG to go up early in the game.

At the time, my oldest brother was a big Patriots fan and my dad was a convert (for the postseason) from Giants fandom. I really knew nothing about the game, just that I wanted the guys in red to win. Since I was in my football infancy I wasn't crushed by the loss, but there was a palpable disappointment.

From then on, I started to pay attention to the game a little more, but it was still slow going. It was probably another year or two before I even understood what "first and 10" meant. For some reason Mosi Tatupu was my favorite, but I really had no idea why. Frankly, my understanding was so infantile that if I hadn't learned that he was a FB since then, I wouldn't even know what position he played. I just remembered him being a tough, almost superhero type guy.

My fandom went to another level once Bledsoe came in. There was an excitement about the team that just wasn't there at the time. It was during the Bledsoe years that I actually began to understand what the difference between a defensive LINEman and a LINEbacker was. The only positions I really understood before then were QB, RB and WR, mostly because those are the ones that I played in the backyard.

I must admit that I took another leap into the Patriots during this recent run. Prior to the middle of the 2001 season, I had no need to go to places like this. The games and newspapers were more than enough. I can still recall a conversation with a good friend of mine after the Saints game in 2001, though. We agreed that, no matter how that season ended, it was just nice to watch a team that didn't get pushed around and that made adjustments. It was from that point on that I began checking online sports pages. Fan sites and MBs were the next progression after the 2001 SB as I needed an outlet for my joy and most of my friends were burnt out on talking about football.

In my family, I am the remaining carrier of the Patriots torch as my two brothers stopped caring a long time ago. My Dad and I have had numerous times since the Bears shelacked NE where football was the only subject that we were comfortable talking to each other about, but much of that has passed and now we use football as part of a (comparably) healthy relationship.

Alright, is ther anything else you want to know?

In 1975, my dad and I were watching the (then) light coverage of the NFL draft, when the new draftee of the Patriots Steve Grogan appeared. He was tall and thin, and my dad said that I might grow up to look just like him. (I didn't, even though I grew up tall and thin). Since then, I just started watching them.
I spent the Bears-Pats Superbowl in my college dorm room with about 12 other people, all rooting for the Bears, and all just laughing at me everytime the Bears scored, as my roommate played the Superbowl Shuffle.
I was even more determined to hang with them after that, and have...now in my 31st year as a Pats fan.
I have yet to see them during a home game, but I will be there this year...and best of all, my 14 year old daughter is a die-hard fan too!
I am so thankful for NFL Sunday Ticket, Sirius NFL Radio, and TiVO too! I never miss a Patriots game now, even living in West Virginia.

1988 - John Stephens transformed the team from a girly Tony Eason type team to a smash mouth football team, and I loved the guy, as well as Mosi Tatupu, Doug Flutie, Stanley Morgan, and Andre Tippet.
As a result, I came onboard just in time to catch the Rod Rust/Dick Macpherson era, with all the games blacked out on local TV. Great timing on my part.
Being a Red Sox fan, I thought the misery was normal.

mancunian on 01-01-2007 at 02:45 PM said:
Was a Pats fan in passing since the mid 80's (SB XX ) but took a greater interest in the early 90's when Ben Coates and Curtis Martin were on the team.

I dont post on many boards - generally the Pats one's and an MCFC board. Only just seen this post by the way.

Worzel on 01-08-2007 at 02:38 PM said:
Hello!

It seems to be the trend to make your first post in this section, so here I am!

I'm a Pats fan from Manchester, England, and have been a fan since I bought Madden NFL on the Sega MegaDrive (Genisis) back in the 1990's. Only really started following the game closely the last 3 years or so.

I wish there was an interesting story as to why I chose the Pats, but it is as simply because the team has England in the name! ( I was only 10, bless me!)

Anyway, over the last couple of years, I've been trying to learn more and more about the game, and hope to learn more about the ins-and-outs of the sport from this Forum.

Nice to see a good win over the Jets last night! Can't wait to get home today and watch the game back. Look out Chargers! :patriots:

Hey a fellow manc. I moved to west mids years ago but get back to see the family. Like many Pats fans here in the UK we were drawn to them because of the England part of the name.

I tend to post on here more though: www.ukpatriots.com

I was a Celtics fan first before becoming a Pats fan.

Back