Where is the love for Hannah?

I don't have a problem with the "modern" day players outpolling the "past" players.

What I have a problem with is the "newbie" fans that came around in the mid-90's that have no idea who or what has happened in the team's past and how and why us old-timers hold those memories, good or bad, in high regard as we live through the current decades team's play.

I don't have a problem with the "modern" day players outpolling the "past" players.

What I have a problem with is the "newbie" fans that came around in the mid-90's that have no idea who or what has happened in the team's past and how and why us old-timers hold those memories, good or bad, in high regard as we live through the current decades team's play.

These teams that you are watching now, will at some point be memories held, so to me there is not much of a difference. If a player today is better than a player that played 30 years ago, then they just are.

but but but harrison is on tv he must be better. . . . .

Eh, you know I am old too, and I have just never been one of those.....well back in my day...etc etc. Football has changed quite a bit. While I think Haynes is one of the best corners this team has ever had, I cannot really be sure. Athletes are bigger stronger faster, and the rules are different. The idea of dropping a player from the 70's or 80's on to a team of today and expecting the same performance is not really accurate to me.

Sorry my parents didn't conceive me decades earlier . . . I do try to educate myself how ever on the past exploits of my beloved patriots but hell I was only born in 84 sorry i dont remember grogans glory years or anything before is grogan healthy enough to play or will it be eason I dont think i ever saw grogan go a full season

feel free to educate us though instead of belittling us might actually keep your beloved memories alive instead of alienating us younger fans

Sorry my parents didn't conceive me decades earlier . . . I do try to educate myself how ever on the past exploits of my beloved patriots but hell I was only born in 84 sorry i dont remember grogans glory years or anything before is grogan healthy enough to play or will it be eason I dont think i ever saw grogan go a full season

feel free to educate us though instead of belittling us might actually keep your beloved memories alive instead of alienating us younger fans

Respect your elders, noob. :spank: :thwak: :coffee:

I did not even like Football until 84. I was all baseball all the time....so was most of that area...Patriots love did not come along for awhile.

It is a little frustrating to know how good some of the past Pats were and to see that they are unknown or, worse, ignored by younger fans. There seems to be a perception that because pre-2001 teams didn't win any Super Bowls then somehow they weren't relevent. I'm not mad that younger people mostly don't care, but more I wish they knew how good those guys really were.

If you ask me how many of the '76-78 or '85 era Pats would make the current team in a fair tryout (assuming they were the same now) then the correct answer is "a shitload". Modern players tend to be more athletic and certainly bigger on average than they were in those eras, but on sheer talent there is no question that we were loaded at times in the past.

Imagine Brady throwing to Stanley Morgan. Imagine a backfield comprised of Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Tim Fox and Fred Marion. Every DB on the current roster would be replaced. I believe that many of the great linebackers we've had like Tippett, Nelson, Sam Hunt and Don Blackmon would easily make the roster. Mayo would be the only survivor.

Could Bill Belichick find a role for Sam Cunningham even though he was a fullback? I imagine he could surely come up with something. The guy was a freak of nature.

I'm not sure Russ Francis could beat out Gronkowski as a starter, but it would be an damned interesting competition.

Mac Herron vs. Woodhead? Child, please.

I'll quit there, but probably only a dozen guys from the current squad would make the 53-- if that.

It is a little frustrating to know how good some of the past Pats were and to see that they are unknown or, worse, ignored by younger fans. There seems to be a perception that because pre-2001 teams didn't win any Super Bowls then somehow they weren't relevent. I'm not mad that younger people mostly don't care, but more I wish they knew how good those guys really were.

If you ask me how many of the '76-78 or '85 era Pats would make the current team in a fair tryout (assuming they were the same now) then the correct answer is "a shitload". Modern players tend to be more athletic and certainly bigger on average than they were in those eras, but on sheer talent there is no question that we were loaded at times in the past.

Imagine Brady throwing to Stanley Morgan. Imagine a backfield comprised of Haynes, Ray Clayborn, Tim Fox and Fred Marion. Every DB on the current roster would be replaced. I believe that many of the great linebackers we've had like Tippett, Nelson, Sam Hunt and Don Blackmon would easily make the roster. Mayo would be the only survivor.

Could Bill Belichick find a role for Sam Cunningham even though he was a fullback? I imagine he could surely come up with something. The guy was a freak of nature.

I'm not sure Russ Francis could beat out Gronkowski as a starter, but it would be an damned interesting competition.

Mac Herron vs. Woodhead? Child, please.

I'll quit there, but probably only a dozen guys from the current squad would make the 53-- if that.

Its hard to compare across era's. Players and the game are a lot different. So just saying that this player who played in 1981 would just jump right on and make the team is a little bit of a stretch. Its nice to have memories of past era's I do for baseball very much, but its probably better to leave those players in that era and these players in this era.

I doubt anyone is attempting to alienate young fans. Fans can (film and video are available) and should educate themselves regarding the history of the team they follow, regardless of their birth year.

The Patriot franchise is 51 years young, and while the last 10 years or so have received the most success and acclaim, you're missing 80% of the story if that's where your interest in the team ends.

All stories are best when you start at the beginning :)

I doubt anyone is attempting to alienate young fans. Fans can (film and video are available) and should educate themselves regarding the history of the team they follow, regardless of their birth year.

The Patriot franchise is 51 years young, and while the last 10 years or so have received the most success and acclaim, you're missing 80% of the story if that's where your interest in the team ends.

All stories are best when you start at the beginning :)

No, he is watching football in the present. Nothing wrong with it and it does seem like some are coming off as, man if you vote for a guy today as being the best, then you have no idea about the past. I let era's be era's. I mean its really ok to think a player that has played in the last 10 years is good.

John Hannah was an incredible player and to me, the second best in the history of the New England Patriots.

I have no issue with the results of this based solely on the two finalists. There is no shame to being the best Patriots after Tom Brady (which is what Hog Hannah is, IMO).

John Hannah was an incredible player and to me, the second best in the history of the New England Patriots.

I have no issue with the results of this based solely on the two finalists. There is no shame to being the best Patriots after Tom Brady (which is what Hog Hannah is, IMO).

This. :coffee:

Wait.....where does Ochocinco rank?

rank

adjective, -er, -est.
1. growing with excessive luxuriance; vigorous and tall of growth: tall rank weeds.
2. producing an excessive and coarse growth, as land.
3. having an offensively strong smell or taste: a rank cigar.
4. offensively strong, as a smell or taste.
5. utter; absolute: a rank amateur; rank treachery.

Number 4. :coffee:

No, he is watching football in the present. Nothing wrong with it and it does seem like some are coming off as, man if you vote for a guy today as being the best, then you have no idea about the past. I let era's be era's. I mean its really ok to think a player that has played in the last 10 years is good.

Wouldn't it make sense before voting to wonder (and find out) why guys like Hannah, Haynes, et al are among the final choices?

Brady is indisputably the MVP of Patriot history thus far, and he has surpassed guys who were major contributors in NE in their time. To disregard their greatness diminishes Brady's also.

Wouldn't it make sense before voting to wonder (and find out) why guys like Hannah, Haynes, et al are among the final choices?

Brady is indisputably the MVP of Patriot history thus far, and he has surpassed guys who were major contributors in NE in their time. To disregard their greatness diminishes Brady's also.

I cannot speak for anyone who voted on if they knew who Hannah or any player was or how much they looked into it. There seems to be a lot of assumption being thrown out here. The first words on the thread was, the Pink hat patriots fans voted Brady in. So yeah I can see how someone might have an issue with that.

Back