Who is the second best HC in the NFL?

McCarthy gets a bit too much praise. Has shown misjudgement at critical times in games.

I really liked Bruce Arians until this season began ...

Gets ballwashed by the media, all the stories about how wonderful he is with players, how he befriends them and gains their undying love.

But there he was after the last game throwing his LS under the bus publically. Unlike BB who would take mistakes on his shoulders and say that he has to do a better job coaching, Arians just hung his player out to dry.

How do you think that went down in the locker room?

Gets ballwashed by the media, all the stories about how wonderful he is with players, how he befriends them and gains their undying love.

But there he was after the last game throwing his LS under the bus publically. Unlike BB who would take mistakes on his shoulders and say that he has to do a better job coaching, Arians just hung his player out to dry.

How do you think that went down in the locker room?

It was both surprising and disappointing the way he handled it. Arians has been a two time coach of the year. I wonder if the pressure to be a Super Bowl team got to him. I think he really felt like he should have destroyed the Pats without Brady and Gronk and being at home. They have seemed shell shocked ever since.

As much as it sucks to say it - John Harbaugh

A guy who doesn't even know the rule book?

Not even close. I'd take Tomlin or Kubiak over this idiot. Hell, I'd take Pagano over this fool.

Mike Felger just made a good point regarding Baltimore that might be a better way to ask this question:
Baltimore is an organization that, from top-to-bottom, at least "gets it."

So while I loathe Harbaugh, he's still better than the vast majority of HC's. And adding Ozzie Newsome into the discussion gives the Ravens a boost that Harbaugh alone may not provide them.

Mike Felger just made a good point regarding Baltimore that might be a better way to ask this question:

So while I loathe Harbaugh, he's still better than the vast majority of HC's. And adding Ozzie Newsome into the discussion gives the Ravens a boost that Harbaugh alone may not provide them.

Yeah...signing Flacco to that cap-crushing deal after they won their last SB really shows that they get it...

Ozzie has been a terrible GM since they won the Bowl in 2012. First paying Flacco that stupid contract which was horribly structured and then not replacing his defense that all retired soon after. I mean after Steve Smith who is ancient, who scares you at all on that offense?

They have benefited this year so far from an insanely easy schedule (Bills, Browns, Jags). I fully expect them to be back at the middle of the pack by seasons end. Although if the wheels come off in Pitt which may happen then they probably do hang around. Ugh.

You can't argue with the success Pete Carol has had with his team. He's also had some great draft picks in the later rounds. I'd say Zimmer is close and a lot of it depends on how the Vikings end up this season. He needs a playoff win to be considered the 2nd best HC.

You can't argue with the success Pete Carol has had with his team. He's also had some great draft picks in the later rounds. I'd say Zimmer is close and a lot of it depends on how the Vikings end up this season. He needs a playoff win to be considered the 2nd best HC.

Zimmer can't be the kicker/holder also dew... :rolleyes:

Who would i want if not bb would be zim or sean. after them, I'd find an assistant somewhere.

Ozzie has been a terrible GM since they won the Bowl in 2012. First paying Flacco that stupid contract which was horribly structured and then not replacing his defense that all retired soon after. I mean after Steve Smith who is ancient, who scares you at all on that offense?

They have benefited this year so far from an insanely easy schedule (Bills, Browns, Jags). I fully expect them to be back at the middle of the pack by seasons end. Although if the wheels come off in Pitt which may happen then they probably do hang around. Ugh.

Who is talking about just this season? I'm talking about the entire resume. His club has been right in the general thick of challenging for the conference along with the Pats, Steelers and Colts for the last decade. I think his overall body of work is pretty stellar.

And believe me, I have a raging hard-on over the stupid contract that they gave Flacco - it's horrible. But you need to look at it from the perspective of the entire league. The Patriots are extremely fortunate to have not had to be in the kind of position that the Ravens, 'Skins, Dolphins, et al have been in recently: Deciding whether or not to pay an average-to-slightly-above-average QB "elite" money.

I'd bet if you polled the entire league, more than half of them would have paid Flacco because, what would their alternative have been?

Scary, ain't it? We are a very fortunate bunch up in this neck of the woods.

#ChessAndCheckers

Who is talking about just this season? I'm talking about the entire resume. His club has been right in the general thick of challenging for the conference along with the Pats, Steelers and Colts for the last decade. I think his overall body of work is pretty stellar.

And believe me, I have a raging hard-on over the stupid contract that they gave Flacco - it's horrible. But you need to look at it from the perspective of the entire league. The Patriots are extremely fortunate to have not had to be in the kind of position that the Ravens, 'Skins, Dolphins, et al have been in recently: Deciding whether or not to pay an average-to-slightly-above-average QB "elite" money.

I'd bet if you polled the entire league, more than half of them would have paid Flacco because, what would their alternative have been?

#ChessAndCheckers
I would argue the Ravens underachieved prior to 2012 because of Flacco. They had an all star defense that was wasted because of him. His four game stellar post-season should not have deterred Ozzie. His contract is the MAIN reason why they have fallen out of contention since the Super Bowl.

The Pats are not lucky. They are smart when it comes to drafting and player development. That has been seen in spades over the years most notably at the QB position.

I would argue the Ravens underachieved prior to 2012 because of Flacco. They had an all star defense that was wasted because of him. His four game stellar post-season should not have deterred Ozzie. His contract is the MAIN reason why they have fallen out of contention since the Super Bowl.

The Pats are not lucky. They are smart when it comes to drafting and player development. That has been seen in spades over the years most notably at the QB position.

all of this^^^

The Ratbirds have never had a real offense. That falls on coaching, drafting, and player development. The game plan for Flacco is to throw it downfield as far as he can while his receivers run into DBs and whine for flags. They haven't had a decent running game since the wife beater burned out. So far this year, they've ground out close, ugly wins over Buffalo, Cleveland and Jacksonville...who are a brilliant combined 1-8. I fully expect a 7-9 season out of this pack of felons.

...but, as Ratbird fans will quickly tell you, Flacco holds the record for the most road playoff wins...a record I would rather my QB NOT have...

#ChessAndCheckers

This post is right on point.

I don't think the Ravens had much choice given that Flacco had played some excellent games including the post-season and was young enough to presumably improve and get up near the top of the heap.,

We are fortunate not to have been in such a situation since Brady. In fact, I'm not sure if this franchise ever really had to swallow hard and lay out huge money other than if you include the big extension deal Bledsoe signed, I believe, just prior to Bill taking over or right around that time. If Brady never became Brady then we could've faced something similar to the Ravens with Flacco, because Drew wasn't nearly as effective as he was prior to getting paid large and if that continued for much longer it might have gotten ugly.

I've often wondered what kind of money Brady could've shaken us down for if he really wanted to. He might be the best QB of all time, but he's definitely the GOAT when it comes to performance versus ease of signability. I wonder what he thinks when he sees some of the deals lesser QBs are able to land.

Possibly: "I'll never be able to spend all I have now, so fvck it....good for them. They can't buy a ring."

Anyone who thinks the Pats knew what they had when they drafted Brady...is clearly full of it. They absolutely lucked out on him.

However, BB generally picks decent enough to consistently win. Also, he is the GOAT...

Back