Who is your favorite Pre Brady/Belichick Era Patriot?

NSPatsFan

I'm disrespectful to dirt.
Reaction score
I'm Down From Canada and they think I'm slow Eh?
For me being a young pup I've only been watching the Pats since I was 15 in 1994, so I don't have the encyclopedia knowledge of pre B&B players. But during that time I liked Ben Coats, he's what really got me in to the TE position and I've been a fan of it ever since. I like how it and the FB position are the two hybrid positions on the field, where a guy needs to be good at not just catching passes but also blocking to be elite at it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NLQlxw6ZYKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So many I liked...idk...

John Hannah.

I loved watching him pancake guys who were often bigger than him then run down field and whack another 1 or 2 guys for the hell of it.

Grogan.
I guess because I was there for a ton of his games, and I'm possibly a lot older than some, so choosing from a wider field of guys.
He was one tough bastid.

Tough question. I can only list a few...

Mosi Tatupu
Vincent Brown
Curtis Martin
Ben Coates
John Stephens RIP

Steve Grogan, Steve Nelson, Andy Johnson,,,

Also have a fondness of players doing stupid things, the name is not coming for me right now, (Carver??) but we once had a big RB, trying to fight his way out of the endzone, looked like he was going to take a safety, but to solve the problem, he threw the football right over his head into the back of the endzone. WTF,,,

Really tough for me to pick just one.

Jim Plunkett - The toughest QB I've ever seen. He did more than I thought was possible, with the worst o-line in the league at that time. He took an incredible beating, and still played well. The only time I ever rooted for the Raiders was when he took them to the Superbowl and won.

John Hannah - The best o-lineman they've ever had. That was easy.

Mike Haynes & Ty Law - The best CBs we've ever had.

<strike>Richard Seymour - The best D lineman we ever had.</strike>
(I missed the part about pre-BB Era, please disregard)

Andre Tippett - The best linebacker we ever had.

Raymond Berry - The first Patriots coach to get us to the superbowl.

<strike>Brady, Gronk, and Moss are/were pretty good, too.</strike>
(see above, sigh.)

Grogan- tough as a truck stop steak

Hannah- true road grader

Tippett - consummate pro

Sam Bam - machine

Mike Haynes - so skilled

Kevin Turner - guy did it all, briefly.

Does Ty Law count since he was drafted before Belichick was coach? If he doesn't, I have to go with Coates and Curtis Martin.

Love all of the above mentioned just wanted to add mini mack herron to the list

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PrXqSmqaoS0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll mention Jim Bowman ( who?) just because he laid on the most incredible crushing block on a punt return I've ever seen, and it was right in front of me in the old stadium. It was against the Iggles in 86 or 87 and he just buried this guy. The fans that saw it up close went absolutely berserk. He's a favorite for that play alone.

Really tough for me to pick just one.

Jim Plunkett - The toughest QB I've ever seen. He did more than I thought was possible, with the worst o-line in the league at that time. He took an incredible beating, and still played well. The only time I ever rooted for the Raiders was when he took them to the Superbowl and won.

Plus, he was legally blind.

:archive:

Back