why not start hoyer

Depends on who plays and the game plan. Any of the D linemen play at all (Wilfork, Warren Green), or the corners (Bodden and Springs) or Kaz play more than a series I'm pissed. No reason for that at all. These guys absolutely NEED the rest.

If Brady, Moss, Welker, or Watson play the half, but they play base o under center to work out a few wrinkles fine. Give Maroney the rock on a continuous basis to cure him of fumblitis. Give it to Taylor to shake of rust. Pass on run downs a bit to work on timing. Down and distance means nothing.

That would be tolerable.

Nothing more.
The counter argument to your certainty is that "these guys absolutely NEED the reps"...after all, even Tommy knows that game speed reps are irreplaceable. What tells you they need the rest? The fact that they may have played their most complete 60 minutes just last week? Sure, rest Wilfork, Warren, and Kaczur, as they're still healing up. But the guys who are just a little nicked up? It's football, everybody is a little nicked up. This team has barely put together 60 good minutes of football, they need all the practice they can get. Rest is for the offseason.

So you're basically saying that your position is immovable. Even if they go on to run the table and win the Superbowl?

Your inability to see both sides of the argument is one reason you're not an NFL head coach. You ever hear of the old addage 'Keep your friends close and your enemies closer?' That goes for strategies like this too. There is a reason that there are two sides to the argument. We will never know which argument is 'correct' because there isn't more than one way that it will play out. To completely dismiss a very likely scenario is a little ridiculous, however, IMO. An NFL head coach must look at both scenarios and deem which works better for his squad.

We'll see!

You could say this exact same thing to TommyD420... But since he agrees with your position, I'm sure you won't. I think I'm right, he thinks he's right.. Sure I can see the other side, I just think its wrong.

I've said a million times now why I think the way I do about this. If the Pats play the starters for a half, stay healthy, and they go on to win the Super Bowl... That's awesome. However, I think they can still do this if they don't play tomorrow. In fact, I believe by staying healthy and resting the aches/pains/injuries they have now... it actually IMPROVES their chances of winning.

On the other hand, if they lose a key player for the playoffs or the team is needlessly beat-up in this pretty meaningless game, and nagging injuries that could of healed up this week effect their play... Then the shit storm on here and in the media will be epic. And likely deserved. They had a chance to rest during a meaningless week 17 game and didn't. Not too many people (myself included) will have sympathy for them.

Like I said before.. If winning this game is so key to the Pats playoff run, then they aren't winning anything anyways. If they can't win with a week off to rest up, get healthy, and focus on the playoffs.. Then its not much of a team anyways.

IF they do play tomorrow.. Then I will hold my breath, pray no one gets hurt, and hope the lack of rest will not negatively affect them.

i still think some people are underestimating the importance of getting the 3rd seed over the 4th seed. Would you feel the same way if they were fighting with Cincy over the rights to the #1 seed?

Patriots Injury Report
Questionable
DE Ty Warren (ankle)
DL Vince Wilfork (foot)

Probable
CB Leigh Bodden (knee)
QB Tom Brady (right shoulder/right finger/rib)
WR Julian Edelman (forearm)
DE Jarvis Green (knee)
T Nick Kaczur (shoulder)
RB Laurence Maroney (knee)
WR Randy Moss (not injury related) ****
CB Shawn Springs (knee)
TE Benjamin Watson (knee)
WR Wes Welker (not injury related) ****

**** Were they given the day off or is this a flag to say they will be playing limited reps Sunday?

Patriots Injury Report
Questionable
DE Ty Warren (ankle)
DL Vince Wilfork (foot)

Probable
CB Leigh Bodden (knee)
QB Tom Brady (right shoulder/right finger/rib)
WR Julian Edelman (forearm)
DE Jarvis Green (knee)
T Nick Kaczur (shoulder)
RB Laurence Maroney (knee)
WR Randy Moss (not injury related) ****
CB Shawn Springs (knee)
TE Benjamin Watson (knee)
WR Wes Welker (not injury related) ****

**** Were they given the day off or is this a flag to say they will be playing limited reps Sunday?

...yes...:coffee:

You could say this exact same thing to TommyD420... But since he agrees with your position, I'm sure you won't. I think I'm right, he thinks he's right.. Sure I can see the other side, I just think its wrong.

I've said a million times now why I think the way I do about this. If the Pats play the starters for a half, stay healthy, and they go on to win the Super Bowl... That's awesome. However, I think they can still do this if they don't play tomorrow. In fact, I believe by staying healthy and resting the aches/pains/injuries they have now... it actually IMPROVES their chances of winning.

On the other hand, if they lose a key player for the playoffs or the team is needlessly beat-up in this pretty meaningless game, and nagging injuries that could of healed up this week effect their play... Then the shit storm on here and in the media will be epic. And likely deserved. They had a chance to rest during a meaningless week 17 game and didn't. Not too many people (myself included) will have sympathy for them.

Like I said before.. If winning this game is so key to the Pats playoff run, then they aren't winning anything anyways. If they can't win with a week off to rest up, get healthy, and focus on the playoffs.. Then its not much of a team anyways.

IF they do play tomorrow.. Then I will hold my breath, pray no one gets hurt, and hope the lack of rest will not negatively affect them.

Well, duh! IMO, it's also likely that the outcome of this situation will be that the starters play a good portion, also putting us in Belichick's camp - in which case, who's corner would you rather be in? It seems to me you'd rather be in Belichick's corner and have him agree with your opinion, no?

Face it: what you or I or Tommy or shirtsleeve think is meaningless. What coach says/does is going to be what he believes is best for this team, and you can't really question that. It will be fun to see who's philosophy coach goes with.

Well, duh! IMO, it's also likely that the outcome of this situation will be that the starters play a good portion, also putting us in Belichick's camp - in which case, who's corner would you rather be in? It seems to me you'd rather be in Belichick's corner and have him agree with your opinion, no?

Face it: what you or I or Tommy or shirtsleeve think is meaningless. What coach says/does is going to be what he believes is best for this team, and you can't really question that. It will be fun to see who's philosophy coach goes with.

Well, duh!!!

;)

Judging with things BB has said and done in the past, I expect Brady an co. to play through the first series of the second half. My reason for this is the players going through the motions of getting ready for the game, the wind down at half time, and then ramping it back up in the second half. Book it.

BUMP

So people can see exactly who didn't want the starters to play and why.

Good for you and your losers' mentality. Non-contact injuries are totally the fault of playing 3 offensive plays with your starters.

Back