Why would Colts take Luck?

Denism

Conas ata t?
Reaction score
OK someone explain it to an idiot like me why the Colts would take A. Luck?

(This is hypothetically based on IF they do indeed have the 1st pick ofc!)

Colts have Manning, arguably the best QB in the League, paid a hell of a lot of money to do his thing and has another 3-4+ years left in him so why bring in Luck?

Im not familiar with the whole Draft or who's number 2 or 3 but i just find it strange why you take Luck if your Colts and pay him big money to sit him on the bench for a long time cos he aint taking Manning's slot!

OK someone explain it to an idiot like me why the Colts would take A. Luck?

(This is hypothetically based on IF they do indeed have the 1st pick ofc!)

Colts have Manning, arguably the best QB in the League, paid a hell of a lot of money to do his thing and has another 3-4+ years left in him so why bring in Luck?

Im not familiar with the whole Draft or who's number 2 or 3 but i just find it strange why you take Luck if your Colts and pay him big money to sit him on the bench for a long time cos he aint taking Manning's slot!

Because Manning is a year older, is probably not going to get any better, and they have nothing to replace him with.

1) Even if Manning comes back completely healthy. He can't play forever.

2) There is a very significant chance Manning won't be able to come back at all. Let alone play at a high level once he's back. A close friend of mine is a nurse for an orthopedic doctor. One day she and her boss were talking about Manning's injury (hypothetically of course). Her boss, the doctor said something along the lines of: "If he was my patient I would never give him clearance to play again. The risk is just enormous."

3) The Colts hope to not be picking that high again for the foreseeable future. And Luck is widely seen as the best QB prospect in many years. If someone that good falls into their lap they'ld be extremely foolish to pass him up. Almost regardless of the circumstances. It's not like another elite QB prospect will fall into their laps a few years from now. Even if they end up with another #1 overall then.

4) Even if Manning comes back and excels for a few more years. With the new rookie wage scale, even the #1 overall won't kill their cap if he has to ride the pine initially. At worst they end up with a Favre/Rodgers situation.

5) If they pick Luck and he performs in practice as advertised (or Manning has a temper tantrum). They can trade Manning for a king's ransom in draft picks - if his health checks out. And shed some serious bucks against their cap at the same time.

I have to be honest, I'm not all that Impressed with Luck. To me, he has been " Luck "(Y) to get to play all the bad defenses that he has. He's certainly okay. But NOT all world.

I have to be honest, I'm not all that Impressed with Luck. To me, he has been " Luck "(Y) to get to play all the bad defenses that he has. He's certainly okay. But NOT all world.

I think he is very good. Is he the most athletic quarterback? No, that would be Cam Newton, but Luck is no Brady or Manning either. He can escape pressure in the pocket and get first downs with his legs like Aaron Rodgers. Does Luck have the best arm? No, he is no Matthew Stafford or Jamarcus Russel, but he can make all the throws. What seperates him from other prospects is his maturity as a quarterback. The guy plays in a pro-style offense and he is in full control of it.

They're hoping, at best, to have another Favre/Rodgers or Montana/Young situation. With the new cap in place Luck's contract won't be so obscene that the Colts wouldn't be able to keep him on.

At worst, they'd be hoping that Luck is everything he's billed as being and could step right in Week 1 and take the reigns and do a considerable job than Painter/Collins.

They're hoping, at best, to have another Favre/Rodgers or Montana/Young situation. With the new cap in place Luck's contract won't be so obscene that the Colts wouldn't be able to keep him on.

At worst, they'd be hoping that Luck is everything he's billed as being and could step right in Week 1 and take the reigns and do a considerable job than Painter/Collins.

I would think most could have done a better job than Painter/Collins. Basically the colts have a lot of needs, but they need a better option at Qb pure and simple and then move on from there.

But if they pick Luck, they are basically saying "We are ok with sucking for the rest of Manning's career" because they have so many other needs.

So picking some other need besides a future QB means that the Colts won't suck for the rest of Manning's career? This one pick defines the Colts for the rest of Manning's tenure? :spock:

But if they pick Luck, they are basically saying "We are ok with sucking for the rest of Manning's career" because they have so many other needs.

Yeah but if they don't take luck, then they throw a 36 year old Qb out there with nothing and no future behind him...sometimes you just have to start over, doing that with a franchise Qb makes it a bit easier.

So picking some other need besides a future QB means that the Colts won't suck for the rest of Manning's career? This one pick defines the Colts for the rest of Manning's tenure? :spock:

As I said earlier, they should trade the #1 to a team desperate for a franchize qb and get that teams #1 for the next 2 years. Fill in more holes.

There is no way to know if Luck will be the next great qb. Go all-in with the few years you have left with Manning.

As I said earlier, they should trade the #1 to a team desperate for a franchize qb and get that teams #1 for the next 2 years. Fill in more holes.

I'm all for the Colts trading their pick to themselves and acquiring more picks. ;)

There is no way to know if Luck will be the next great qb. Go all-in with the few years you have left with Manning.

Go "all-in" with rookies who are traditionally players with an uncertain hit/miss rate? :shrug:

I'm certain everyone's front office will perform their due diligence with regards to the value of Luck versus the value of what they can acquire via trade for Luck, but the so-called "experts" are currently siding with drafting Luck. Given the uncertainty of Manning - that the Colts' front office is much less uncertain about - we'll just have to see. For the cost of the new rookie contracts, given the immediate drop-off in wins, and looking at the other potential prospects, I say draft Luck. There are fewer holes than people think, imo, and picking at the top of every other round besides #1 helps plug holes as well.

If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. Doom. Dispair. And agony on me.

You can't pass on a potential franchise qb,especially under the new rookie pay scale.

Besides a new HC might want to start with his own QB.
Not that caldwell's going anywhere :party:

I would think most could have done a better job than Painter/Collins. Basically the colts have a lot of needs, but they need a better option at Qb pure and simple and then move on from there.

Do you recall saying the Colts wouldn't miss a beat if they had to turn to Painter?

Do you recall saying the Colts wouldn't miss a beat if they had to turn to Painter?

From Manning to painter? No I figured you would miss a beat or 2....of course I didnt know your entire team would quit on top of that though.:coffee:

From Manning to painter? No I figured you would miss a beat or 2....of course I didnt know your entire team would quit on top of that though.:coffee:

The Dolphins are tanking.

The Colts just suck.

And I love how you're downplaying how you used to downplay Manning's importance. Henceforth, I shall refer to you as Pinocchio

pinocchio1.gif

The Dolphins are tanking.

The Colts just suck.

And I love how you're downplaying how you used to downplay Manning's importance. Henceforth, I shall refer to you as Pinocchio

pinocchio1.gif

Your team quit...manning is as important as the player that the colts have to replace him...so...sorry I guess, get better.

Back