Would you trade a 3rd for Moss?

Would you trade a 3rd for Moss?

• Yes

Votes: 25 50.0%
  • I would trade for him, but not a 3rd.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Not at any price. No way, no how.

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • I heard southcarolina likes monkey love.

Votes: 10 20.0%

• Total voters

Undertaker #59*

Car'a'carn
Staff member
Reaction score
Word is the Raiders are shopping him and that is the going rate. St Brett wants him in GB.

I just dont know, it really seems like all he wants to do is win but with his penchant for doing stupid sh!t I am on the fence with him.

He was pretty well behaved under Dennis "crown their ass" Green and under "players coaches" he starts the act again.
Maybe, just maybe Belichick could rustle that bronco?

I know Brady would go from big game performer to a neck and neck race with Manning for TDs every year.

I probably would, although I'd have some serious reservations about it. Alot would depend on what his cap numbers are as well.

He would be on a real short lease here and I would only do it after making him WELL AWARE that the ball gets spread around here more than most places. Of course, he'd also have to WANT to be here. If he doesn't want to be here, forcing him is only gonna get you drama.

For a third? You bet.

Is it taking a chance? Sure. But talent-wise it's worth it. He may be a lost cause. Or he may not. But here are some of the luminaries the Pats have taken in the 2nd and 3rd round lately:

2006: Chad Jackson (2nd)
2005: Ellis Hobbs/Nick Kaczur (3rd)
2004: Marquise Hill (2nd), Guss Scott (3rd)
2003: Bethel Johnson (2nd)
2001: Brock Williams (3rd)
2000: J.R. Redmond (3rd)

Anyone think there's no one on that list they wouldn't trade straight up for Moss? Hell, I'd trade Marquise Hill straight up for a signed Moss jersey, LOL.

The Pats have few glaring weaknesses. WR--specifically, a deep threat WR--is one of them. Sheeit, just having Moss around to run in a straight line downfield will tie up at least one corner and possibly a safety, freeing up the rest of the field for Brady. And as he matures perhaps Moss has realized that it's worth being a cog in a wheel and getting a ring instead of being a big fish in a crappy Oakland-style pond.

Yes, without batting an eyelash.

I think that if the Pats had Moss this season, the monkey would stil be up Peyton's arse.

Three years ago when Corey Dillon came here, all we heard was that he was a malcontent and a cancer. As I thought (and was proved to be correct), all he wanted to do was win. He's been nothing but a model citizen.

I see the same potential from Moss. I'd trade the 3rd round pick for him in a heartbeat.

well, I guess we will all find out. If the Raiders are shopping him and that is the price I would think if the Pats had interest they would make an offer. Personally, I don't think it will happen. I think his skills have started to diminish and his cap hit is too high.

I vote yes because we wasted a 5th on Gabriel, so Moss must be worth at least a 3rd - one thing to consider is that Moss and Gabriel are best buddies and that could lead to a little animosity between the Moss towards the Pats

No, at the beginning he might be nice but eventually the real Moss comes out. Also, I've always seen him as a Manny Ramirez (don't always play at 100%).

Id hate to see Moss come to NE. About the only place I could see him come back to elite wr status. I think giving up a 3rd, while a gamble, there is much more reward than risk

jetfan4hire on 02-06-2007 at 10:44 AM said:
Id hate to see Moss come to NE. About the only place I could see him come back to elite wr status. I think giving up a 3rd, while a gamble, there is much more reward than risk

Would you want the Jets to trade a 3rd for him?

Randy Moss is easily the most overrated widereciever still playing.

Need someone tall and fast to run go routes (and actually run them only like 50% of the time) Moss is your man.

I don't think he really fits the patriot mold either.

I mean, can anyone see him playing special teams?

Besides, after the debacle with you guys renting that raiders TE this year, shouldn't you have learned your lesson on borrowing raiders players?

There is a reason those guys have the number one pick this year, and it ain't all the Offensive line.

JD10367 on 02-06-2007 at 08:27 AM said:
For a third? You bet.

Is it taking a chance? Sure. But talent-wise it's worth it. He may be a lost cause. Or he may not. But here are some of the luminaries the Pats have taken in the 2nd and 3rd round lately:

2005: Ellis Hobbs/Nick Kaczur (3rd)

2000: J.R. Redmond (3rd)

What's wrong with Ellis Hobbs?

Also, the Patriots would not have won Superbowl XXXVI without the play of J.R. Redmond. Just watch the last drive again. Maybe he wasn't a great player, but they got their money's worth for that one drive alone.

Undertaker #59 on 02-06-2007 at 10:47 AM said:
Would you want the Jets to trade a 3rd for him?
A Pennington/Moss reunion would be nice, but the Jets are much better off than the Pats at that position so I think it would make a lot more sense for the Pats

Great question, with excellent timing. We've seen how the Patriots lacked receiving talent this year....and Moss is a receiving talent. So now the three questions are:

1. How would he fit into the team, talentwise?

2. How would he fit into the team, teammate-wise?

3. What is the price to attain him, and can he be cut/waived from the roster without any monetary/greivance problems?

My humble answers:

1. He could fit in quite well talentwise. He is a bonafide receiving threat, short passes, medium passes, and long passes. I'm not sure how well he blocks or does other things on the field, but I think he's got the physical makeup to do those other things. Lastly, the way Brady spreads the ball around, to whoever is open, I think all the receivers would still get the ball thrown to them enough.

2. I don't think he's a good teammate. He is sometimes demonstrably lazy, or just plain somewhat militant on the field, when things don't go his way. He could be a cancer, if the team loses a couple in a row, and he could bring down some other players with him. I wouldn't compare him to the pre-Patriot Dillon...I don't really remember hearing about too many problems with Dillon in Cincinatti, as far as his attitude. What with Dillon being the big star on the team, like a Bledsoe with the Patriots, people tend to sometimes lay all the blame for losing on the big star, rightly or wrongly. Could Belichick and Co. (coaches/players) reel Moss in? And keep him on the straight and narrow? That is the million dollar question...I'd guess no. Belichick and Co. are not superhuman.

3. What would be the right price/risk? After looking at the list of recent 2nd and 3rd round picks by the Patriots, I have this question: Sure, Moss talentwise much better than just about all of those players....but would that be superceded by his being a cancer and bringing down a few players and the team with him? I don't think the risk is worth the 3rd rounder. I would imagine, with the third rounder, the Patriots would pick a player they trust will be a good soldier and a good player, not a jerk with talent. Maybe the Pats could trade a 2007 Draft 3rd rounder for Moss, a 5th-rounder in the 2007 draft, and a conditional 2008 Raiders pick (say for instance, the Raiders 3rd rounder in that draft, if Moss is released by the Patriots prior to week 4 of the 2007 season).

In summation, I want Brady and the Patriots to have real weapons in the receiving corps, but not players that are jerks. So I would say, no, don't trade for Randy Moss. Let him be some shill's problem.

Steve1 on 02-06-2007 at 11:02 AM said:
Great question, with excellent timing. We've seen how the Patriots lacked receiving talent this year....and Moss is a receiving talent. So now the three questions are:

1. How would he fit into the team, talentwise?

2. How would he fit into the team, teammate-wise?

3. What is the price to attain him, and can he be cut/waived from the roster without any monetary/greivance problems?

My humble answers:

1. He could fit in quite well talentwise. He is a bonafide receiving threat, short passes, medium passes, and long passes. I'm not sure how well he blocks or does other things on the field, but I think he's got the physical makeup to do those other things. Lastly, the way Brady spreads the ball around, to whoever is open, I think all the receivers would still get the ball thrown to them enough.

2. I don't think he's a good teammate. He is sometimes demonstrably lazy, or just plain somewhat militant on the field, when things don't go his way. He could be a cancer, if the team loses a couple in a row, and he could bring down some other players with him. I wouldn't compare him to the pre-Patriot Dillon...I don't really remember hearing about too many problems with Dillon in Cincinatti, as far as his attitude. What with Dillon being the big star on the team, like a Bledsoe with the Patriots, people tend to sometimes lay all the blame for losing on the big star, rightly or wrongly. Could Belichick and Co. (coaches/players) reel Moss in? And keep him on the straight and narrow? That is the million dollar question...I'd guess no. Belichick and Co. are not superhuman.

3. What would be the right price/risk? After looking at the list of recent 2nd and 3rd round picks by the Patriots, I have this question: Sure, Moss talentwise much better than just about all of those players....but would that be superceded by his being a cancer and bringing down a few players and the team with him? I don't think the risk is worth the 3rd rounder. I would imagine, with the third rounder, the Patriots would pick a player they trust will be a good soldier and a good player, not a jerk with talent. Maybe the Pats could trade a 2007 Draft 3rd rounder for Moss, a 5th-rounder in the 2007 draft, and a conditional 2008 Raiders pick (say for instance, the Raiders 3rd rounder in that draft, if Moss is released by the Patriots prior to week 4 of the 2007 season).

In summation, I want Brady and the Patriots to have real weapons in the receiving corps, but not players that are jerks. So I would say, no, don't trade for Randy Moss. Let him be some shill's problem.

Dillon was a MAJOR attitude problem in Cincinatti. Winning goes a long way to solving these types of problems. Playing for the Pats, the opportunity exists to be a contender to go to the SB every year. I think you would see Moss toe the company line very well for thst opportunity. He's not getting any younger, and will have a limited amount of opportunities to win a ring.

only thing missing with NE is the lack of a Cris Carter to keep him in check - it would fall on the shoulders of Brady or possibly Dillon as an older respected player to tell him to follow the company line

Back