Zappe ...

The possibilities are many for both nicknames and TV announcers.

"29 yards on the TD! The Jets just got Zapped!"

Zappe seems a bit calmer, and has better awareness of pocket pressure. The one thing that stuck out the most though is his release. It just has a Tom Bradyish feel to it.. is he Tom Brady? Heck no and that’s way too early to assume he will end up just as good as him. But I just like the way the ball comes out of his hand.

Something about Jones with his release allows secondary to telegraph where the ball is headed. It’s a little unorthodox in my opinion and a little bit lacking in the zip…jmho

With apologies to Davy Crockett:

Played quarterback at western Kentucky
Got drafted by the Pats which sure was lucky
Moves up in the pocket and lets ‘er rip,
Won his first start twenty-nine to zip

Bailey, Baily Zappe.
Started a contro-ver-sy

Everything good said about Zappe is true but it's only one game really, Detroit's D does indeed suck, and the Pats were still 0-4 in the red zone(they didn't really try to score during the last RZ trip). And I'm not saying that's all on him. The stains pass rush is definitely better, and we'll see how he does with Clowney and Garrett coming off the edges. If he plays just as well or better, I don't think a QB controversy is that far fetched. I don't think BB is going to put Mac out there if he truly believes they are better with Zappe.

Last edited:
It's a mix of things about a possible quarterback controversy. First off, I'm skeptical that Bill would dump Mac a la Bledsoe for a kid who's only played a few games. I think Mac gets every chance to shine

OTOH, just because Mac is a first-rounder doesn't mean he's sacrosanct. If the rookie does prove a better fit for the offense, he'll be in. After all, Bledsoe was a No. 1 pick, led the team to a Super Bowl, and just had been awarded a fat new contract, yet Bill sat him for sixth-round Brady. Mac doesn't have any of Bledsoe's credentials.

I do think Bill will need to see more of Zappe before there's any legit controversy.

It's a mix of things about a possible quarterback controversy. First off, I'm skeptical that Bill would dump Mac a la Bledsoe for a kid who's only played a few games. I think Mac gets every chance to shine

OTOH, just because Mac is a first-rounder doesn't mean he's sacrosanct. If the rookie does prove a better fit for the offense, he'll be in. After all, Bledsoe was a No. 1 pick, led the team to a Super Bowl, and just had been awarded a fat new contract, yet Bill sat him for sixth-round Brady. Mac doesn't have any of Bledsoe's credentials.

I do think Bill will need to see more of Zappe before there's any legit controversy.

I joked about a controversy on here during the game. JOKED. There is none. At least no real controversy.

By the time Brady took the job from Bledsoe, Belichick had 18 months and two off-seasons to get to know what Brady really was.

Zappe may indeed be an NFL QB, but as of now let's hope he can be the next Jimmy G. for the Patriots and return picks/players in a few years.

Mac is QB1

I joked about a controversy on here during the game. JOKED. There is none. At least no real controversy.

By the time Brady took the job from Bledsoe, Belichick had 18 months and two off-seasons to get to know what Brady really was.

Zappe may indeed be an NFL QB, but as of now let's hope he can be the next Jimmy G. for the Patriots and return picks/players in a few years.

Mac is QB1

Or, let's hope that Bailey could be even better than Mac! Which would be a win also! Either way, we should have a top-calibre QB going forward. It's still Mac's team, but the gap is not mammoth between him and Zappe.

Here is the important part about the difference between how Zappe is playing, and how Jones was...

There are positives to take away from the two games we've seen with Zappe. But heading into the season, the Patriots acknowledged that this style of offense wasn't moving the needle.

New England recognized that it couldn't keep up on the scoreboard if it continued to design conservative game plans with a quarterback shying away from aggressive-minded decisions.

"Mac coming out of college, he had some big plays downfield and had some receivers who could get downfield and he could get the ball out to them and throw some really accurate passes. For us, as we worked through the spring and training camp, that's been something we are trying to do," Senior Football Advisor Matt Patricia told Patriots.com.

Zappe, similar to Jones at times in his rookie season, isn't always pulling the trigger to open receivers who are uncovering downfield. Instead, he's taking the safer throws and thus leaving bigger plays on the field. Even if that means limiting turnovers, it doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.

Ultimately, the Patriots want to compete for championships. Although five interceptions outweighed the positives from Jones's first three starts, the direction they were moving in had the bigger picture in mind that a low-risk offense wasn't competitive against elite teams in the NFL.

Making things easier through good schemes and play calls is nice, but it can't be the only option. Not every throw can be to an open receiver, and even the best offensive minds need their quarterback to make things happen on their own.

Certainly, Jones and the Patriots need to find a better balance between hunting for big plays in the passing game and protecting the football when he returns to the lineup. And maybe some elements, like more play-action, can be useful moving forward. But the Zappe script is harkening back to where they were last season, and we all saw how that ended.

If the Patriots want to compete with the Buffalo's and Kansas City's late in the season, New England needs a playmaker at quarterback. It's good enough to beat the Lions at home when the defense pitches a shutout, but it won't be good enough against better opponents.

Or, let's hope that Bailey could be even better than Mac! Which would be a win also! Either way, we should have a top-calibre QB going forward. It's still Mac's team, but the gap is not mammoth between him and Zappe.
One person's competition is another person's controversy. Win win no matter what you call it. As someone said, BB has never shied away from fielding the player who gives the team the best chance to win.

Competition is a good thing. Brady upped his game a LOT with the threat of JimmyG because he is super competitive. Mac is the same way. Win win for us.

Back