Looking at the Patriots - 2020

Here's what I'm hoping for, knowing full well that what I want to happen, usually doesn't. But I'm usually happy with the outcome, nonetheless.

1. Sign Brady with a two-year contract, with a. an out clause that Brady can use after year one (next season); and b. an understanding by all parties that Brady may not be the starter all season, that it depends on the offense's performance and team record, and Brady will probably have to serve as a backup/mentor with the Patriots at some point next year or the year after.

2. Belichick moves full time into the GM position, and Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the NEP. It's time. I'm not saying Belichick has lost his fastball. But it could be a good time for him to stop head-coaching (better early than late). I know some of you don't like McDaniels. But I think overall, he's been a pretty decent offensive coordinator. But he may not want to be a head coach here anyway. I'm thinking Cleveland for him....he's from that area.

3. Alternately, if Brady doesn't want to come back, sign a veteran quarterback for one season, and groom Jarrett Stidham to be the next long-term starter at qb.

Personally, if Brady leaves, or is sort of pushed out, it's okay. There won't be any door hitting him on the way out. He's been the best of all time with our team. Even Mohammed Ali was beaten late in his career. It's called age.

If it's up to Belichick, and he's in charge of personnel decisions, and he thinks the team is better off with a clean separation, then he may just let Brady go without a whimper. Think Bernie Kosar, 26 or so years ago.

I remember the Celtics holding on to the big three back in the early 90's, and it didn't go well. For various reasons. Sometimes you just have to let go.....and accept the consequences for a while. And rebuild.

It may be a moot point-Brady is scheduled to be a free-agent in March. Let's see if he can get a mutually agreeable deal to stay with the Pats. Another question is, are the Patriots better off moving on from him? I'm not sure. And he's earned the right to do whatever he wants, football-wise. He's showed a lot of class through the years. He's served us well, as fans. So has Belichick.

I've got a question for you folks...remember how the Patriot's retooled in 2007, bringing in Wes Welker and Randy Moss, after having a season with a disappointing receiving corps?. Brady was turning 30 during that training camp, if memory serves. He'll be turning 43 during next training camp. Here's my question: Would an offensive injection of a Moss and Welker-caliber pair of receivers, matched with a 43-year old Brady next season, make the Patriots as offensively dangerous as they were in 2007?

Players aside, could the Pats withstand the loss of McDaniel, Judge and another coach? Is Scar on a year to year deal? Is he done?

Regarding players - I've heard someone say that Michel could be on the block. What about James White? Crazy talk but if Harris is his replacement, can they afford to use two roster spots for the same position? When Develin comes back, how does his presence affect the backfield? Bolden a goner? Burkhead?

I doubt that Michel will be traded...if the oline gets upgraded, he could be a better back. He's no Barry Sanders though. :coffee:

2. Belichick moves full time into the GM position, and Josh McDaniels is the head coach of the NEP. It's time. I'm not saying Belichick has lost his fastball. But it could be a good time for him to stop head-coaching (better early than late). I know some of you don't like McDaniels. But I think overall, he's been a pretty decent offensive coordinator. But he may not want to be a head coach here anyway. I'm thinking Cleveland for him....he's from that area.

Belichick will not stop coaching until he's dead or he passes Shula, whichever comes first. If he's not coaching here, he will go somewhere else.

Building the oline up is one of the most important things that the Pats need...for the running game and to protect the qb.
OLine with TE is the answer to all the issues the Patriots have, that and a fast WR that can catch - too many possession guys on this roster.

Here's what I'm hoping for, knowing full well that what I want to happen, usually doesn't. But I'm usually happy with the outcome, nonetheless.

1. Sign Brady with a two-year contract, with a. an out clause that Brady can use after year one (next season); and b. an understanding by all parties that Brady may not be the starter all season, that it depends on the offense's performance and team record, and Brady will probably have to serve as a backup/mentor with the Patriots at some point next year or the year after.

3. Alternately, if Brady doesn't want to come back, sign a veteran quarterback for one season, and groom Jarrett Stidham to be the next long-term starter at qb.

Personally, if Brady leaves, or is sort of pushed out, it's okay. There won't be any door hitting him on the way out. He's been the best of all time with our team. Even Mohammed Ali was beaten late in his career. It's called age.

If it's up to Belichick, and he's in charge of personnel decisions, and he thinks the team is better off with a clean separation, then he may just let Brady go without a whimper. Think Bernie Kosar, 26 or so years ago.

I remember the Celtics holding on to the big three back in the early 90's, and it didn't go well. For various reasons. Sometimes you just have to let go.....and accept the consequences for a while. And rebuild.

It may be a moot point-Brady is scheduled to be a free-agent in March. Let's see if he can get a mutually agreeable deal to stay with the Pats. Another question is, are the Patriots better off moving on from him? I'm not sure. And he's earned the right to do whatever he wants, football-wise. He's showed a lot of class through the years. He's served us well, as fans. So has Belichick.

I've got a question for you folks...remember how the Patriot's retooled in 2007, bringing in Wes Welker and Randy Moss, after having a season with a disappointing receiving corps?. Brady was turning 30 during that training camp, if memory serves. He'll be turning 43 during next training camp. Here's my question: Would an offensive injection of a Moss and Welker-caliber pair of receivers, matched with a 43-year old Brady next season, make the Patriots as offensively dangerous as they were in 2007?

1. Maybe

2. Never

3. Likely, with another drafted.

As far as a Welker/Moss rebuild it could be deadly IF they build a monster OLine.

Belichick will not stop coaching until he's dead or he passes Shula, whichever comes first. If he's not coaching here, he will go somewhere else.

Yeah, the next qb might just kill him. Only kidding.

If Belichick gets close to Shula, Shula might just come back to coach. Only kidding.

Belichick did genuinely say earlier this season (or last season?), that he always thought he wouldn't want to stick around, like Marv Levy. But that he felt healthy and pretty energetic, so he might have to change his original opinion. Not too many of the great coaches coached in the NFL until they died or got real sick. the Great Vince Lombardi with the Redskins comes to mind. But I'm picking' up what you're putting down.

Belichick would break the mold.

DMac says he wants to play, but he is going to have to take less. Van Noy sounds like he is seeking a paycheck, Thuney is going to get what he wants for pay, just not sure it will be here. I would like to have Shelton back, and I am not sure he would cost much. Dorsett probably wont be back. Slater is cheap, so if he wants to play he can. Not going to speculate on Brady, I'm in the dark on that one.

16 1st line free agents and only $46M in cap space. Some good players won't be back but getting stronger in the trenches & younger and faster elsewhere should be priorities for the coming rebuild. Get ready for a lot of changes. There are a lot of rumors flying around Gillette now. I'm resigned to having a wait and see attitude for which rumors are real.

Something else we should consider...what if BB is ready to move on from TB and Kraft steps in to sign TB. Do we lose BB in such a scenario? The Giants would love BB as their HC. Don't laugh. It's not out of the question after the JimmyG trade and how Kraft feels about TB.

16 1st line free agents and only $46M in cap space. Some good players won't be back but getting stronger in the trenches & younger and faster elsewhere should be priorities for the coming rebuild. Get ready for a lot of changes. There are a lot of rumors flying around Gillette now. I'm resigned to having a wait and see attitude for which rumors are real.

Something else we should consider...what if BB is ready to move on from TB and Kraft steps in to sign TB. Do we lose BB in such a scenario? The Giants would love BB as their HC. Don't laugh. It's not out of the question after the JimmyG trade and how Kraft feels about TB.

Well don't mind us. Spill the beans. Let us decide what are rumors. ROFL

If Belichick gets close to Shula, Shula might just come back to coach. Only kidding.

Belichick did genuinely say earlier this season (or last season?), that he always thought he wouldn't want to stick around, like Marv Levy. But that he felt healthy and pretty energetic, so he might have to change his original opinion. Not too many of the great coaches coached in the NFL until they died or got real sick. the Great Vince Lombardi with the Redskins comes to mind. But I'm picking' up what you're putting down.

That was in the 2010 "A Football Life" about the '09 season. A lot has changed in 10 years.

Bill said that like 10 years ago.

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 PM ----------

I give that as much possibility as Brady playing elsewhere.

Heard it yesterday.

And kind of explains Bills demeanor at the pressers.

He’s not exactly putting out the vibe the decisions are his. In fact he’s almost saying they aren’t his.

Fate rests in Bobs hands.

Is it Bill and a rebuild?

Or Tom & Josh and Bill builds Giants?

I start with the fact that I do not believe Brady will be going anywhere next season and that he will be the starting QB in NE.
Here are some FAs I would like to see the Patriots go after. No I do not think they will be able to sign most of them.
Defence: Jadeveon Clowney OLB, Leonard Williams DE/DL, Yannick Ngakoue DE, Gerald McCoy, DT,
Offence: Amari Cooper WR, Hunter Henry TE, Rodney Hudson C, Anthony Castonzo OT,
Not a long list but if they could get 2 or 3 of them it would help.

I could have sworn he said it again not too long ago.

The part about Marv Levy, yeah, that was in the 2010 documentary. But Belichick was asked not too long ago, about if he's re-thought his earlier comments. And he said he feels pretty good, and he still enjoys coaching.

my perfect world, Bill breaks Shula's record and his dying breath is as he watches it happen.... But I am not bitter or anything like that....F that crazy rule breaking asshat Shula!!!!

F him hard!!!!

danny [email]woodhead@danny__woodhead·7h
Isn’t it funny how bad Belichick protégés are as head coaches. I mean look at the league right now. Bill O’Brien....oh wait playoffs....vrabel....oh wait playoffs.....Flores....oh wait had an atrocious roster and still won some games...hire Mcdaniels now he learned from DEN!

There's a lot of truth in that

The Pats signed their entire practice squad to futures contracts. 8 players.

, if Brady doesn't want to come back, sign a veteran quarterback for one season, and groom Jarrett Stidham to be the next long-term starter at qb.
Stidham has already been groomed. He's been here a year practicing with the team, going to meetings. How much will a second year on the bench help?

Stidham has already been groomed. He's been here a year practicing with the team, going to meetings. How much will a second year on the bench help?

I dont know, because unlike fantasy we all know the future talk, we do not know what he is. It doesnt matter if it helps, it matters if he is ready, which, really...you dont know. Unlike what most fans think the greatest QB is not always the one that is not good enough to start. The unknown does not mean great.

---------- Post added at 11:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:57 PM ----------

Ask Aaron Rodgers.

Yep 3 years for him I believe. Some teams are not ready to just flush down being a superbowl contender yet.

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 PM ----------

The Pats signed their entire practice squad to futures contracts. 8 players.

Is that a common thing Chev?

Back