Looking at the Patriots - 2020

As for Stidham, I'll tell you what I've been told. The Pats are as excited about him as they were about JimmyG only Stidham is ahead of where JG was after 1 year. That's it in a nutshell. But Stidham isn't ready to take over the job yet just as JG wouldn't have been ready after his first year. Simple as that.

I suppose this is the big question because we don't know if Brady will make the Pats sweat right up until the Draft and beyond. I think that is a distinct possibility.

I really don't agree that it is "simple as that".

We could very well be looking at Stidham as our starter next season and that thought does not freak me, for one, out.

Lots of drama to come over the next few months, so I don't want to go overboard when the dust has barely settled, but that kid has enough going for him that it might not be the disaster many are predicting.

Yet for every “stud” that starts immediately you can look at lower picks that sit and develop and are very capable pros. It NEVER hurts.
I didn't mean start immediately, I meant sit for a year. Starting immediately (as a true rookie) isn't a good idea IMO. As you say above.

Plus even Peyton Manning was 3-13 starting as a rookie. Flipped it year 2. Doubt if Brady would have won the superbowl if he had started in 2000.

It's a natural cycle. As the wily old veteran winds down his career, the young inexperienced gun is learning and trending upward. At some point their paths intersect and the change should be made. Probably best to switch a year too soon rather than a year too late for a variety of reasons.

It's an interesting discussion. Thanks for keeping it civil in the face of my closed mind on this subject. Looking forward to the start of the new league year and seeing what happens. :toast:

I suppose this is the big question because we don't know if Brady will make the Pats sweat right up until the Draft and beyond. I think that is a distinct possibility.

We could very well be looking at Stidham as our starter next season and that thought does not freak me, for one, out.

Lots of drama to come over the next few months, so I don't want to go overboard when the dust has barely settled, but that kid has enough going for him that it might not be the disaster many are predicting.

It's a definite possibility we could be looking at Stidham next year. If we are, he won't be a finished product who can play close to what we've come to expect. If people are willing to lower expectations Stidham can do the job. He'll be fine mechanically and he can hand the ball off, make his PA fakes & bootlegs and be pretty accurate with his throws given time in the pocket. Where I'd worry about him is in high pressure clutch situations against a top defense.

He's smart and poised plus he has an accurate arm. His best quality at Auburn in my mind was that he kept his head even while the coach was going ballistic on the sideline. If I were to guess how he'd have done this year in place of Brady, I'd say he'd have had around 3 more losses...possibly 4, but maybe 2. Expectations would be lowered so 8-8 wouldn't have been horrible. So, no he wouldn't be a disaster - I agree with that - but another year of mentoring would probably mean an extra win or 2.

If they are going to try and sign him (something I absolutely would not), I'd give him a March 15th deadline. If he doesn't sign by then, you move on and focus on the draft. A 43-year old guy shouldn't have a gun to a franchise's head.

Tom Brady
· 12 mins ·

I just wanted to say to all of our fans, THANK YOU! After a few days of reflection, I am so grateful and humbled by the unconditional support you have shown me the past two decades. Running out of that tunnel every week is a feeling that is hard to explain. I wish every season ended in a win, but that’s not the nature of sports (or life). Nobody plays to lose. But the reward for working hard is just that, the work!! I have been blessed to find a career I love, teammates who go to battle with me, and an organization that believes in me, and fans who have been behind us every step of the way.

Every one of us that works at Gillette Stadium strived to do their best, spent themselves at a worthy cause, and prepared to fail while daring greatly (h/t Teddy Roosevelt). And for that, we’ve been rewarded with something that the scoreboard won’t show - the satisfaction of knowing we gave everything to each other in pursuit of a common goal. That is what TEAM is all about.

In both life and football, failure is inevitable. You dont always win. You can, however, learn from that failure, pick yourself up with great enthusiasm, and place yourself in the arena again.

And that’s right where you will find me. Because I know I still have more to prove.

Tom Brady
· 12 mins ·

I just wanted to say to all of our fans, THANK YOU! After a few days of reflection, I am so grateful and humbled by the unconditional support you have shown me the past two decades. Running out of that tunnel every week is a feeling that is hard to explain. I wish every season ended in a win, but that’s not the nature of sports (or life). Nobody plays to lose. But the reward for working hard is just that, the work!! I have been blessed to find a career I love, teammates who go to battle with me, and an organization that believes in me, and fans who have been behind us every step of the way.

Every one of us that works at Gillette Stadium strived to do their best, spent themselves at a worthy cause, and prepared to fail while daring greatly (h/t Teddy Roosevelt). And for that, we’ve been rewarded with something that the scoreboard won’t show - the satisfaction of knowing we gave everything to each other in pursuit of a common goal. That is what TEAM is all about.

In both life and football, failure is inevitable. You dont always win. You can, however, learn from that failure, pick yourself up with great enthusiasm, and place yourself in the arena again.

Just the fact that he made a statement like that to the fans.....I wish him nothing but the best. He's coming back.....?!

Tom Brady
· 12 mins ·

He also added at the end "And that’s right where you will find me. Because I know I still have more to prove."

He said he didn't need to sit for 3 full years before starting.
i hope he said that, I bet Brady thinks he could have started day 1 in NE. Confidence is awesome, but that doesn't mean sitting didn't help, even sitting three years watching Farve fail to prepare.

It's a definite possibility we could be looking at Stidham next year. If we are, he won't be a finished product who can play close to what we've come to expect. If people are willing to lower expectations Stidham can do the job. He'll be fine mechanically and he can hand the ball off, make his PA fakes & bootlegs and be pretty accurate with his throws given time in the pocket. Where I'd worry about him is in high pressure clutch situations against a top defense.

He's smart and poised plus he has an accurate arm. His best quality at Auburn in my mind was that he kept his head even while the coach was going ballistic on the sideline. If I were to guess how he'd have done this year in place of Brady, I'd say he'd have had around 3 more losses...possibly 4, but maybe 2. Expectations would be lowered so 8-8 wouldn't have been horrible. So, no he wouldn't be a disaster - I agree with that - but another year of mentoring would probably mean an extra win or 2.
If Tom leaves look for a Big time rushing game in NE with Complimentary passing like Tom's early career - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Like Hawg, I'm OK with Studham taking over if that 20 million saved is spent the right way.

Interesting that no one is talking about the salary cap. I see $30M being tossed around to keep Brady, but they'll need to find some savings to be active on the FA market.

Going into the new year, the Pats will start with $49M is space, about middle of the pack in the NFL (Miami is #1 at $98M and Buffalo is #3 at $88M).

There are a few places where they can clear space.

Gilemore is #1 hit at 18.5M, but he's not going anywhere and with 2 years left, little to be gained from salary conversion. Perhaps time to renegotiate?

Hightower is a candidate to be cut or traded. His cap hit is 11.35M, but would drop to 2.5M (9M savings) if cut or traded.

Mason and Cannon are next at #3 and #4, but there's a big hit if Mason is cut (cap number goes up) and minimal savings on Cannon. Not much I can see being done here.

Some candidates with big cap savings if cut: JMac (4M Savings), Harmon (3.2M savings), Gostkowski (3.8M savings), Burkhead (3M savings), Bolden (1.5M savings).

Will we see some big names cut loose?

Sanu is costing 6.5M with no dead money hit. He may be gone.

I didn't mean start immediately, I meant sit for a year. Starting immediately (as a true rookie) isn't a good idea IMO. As you say above.

Plus even Peyton Manning was 3-13 starting as a rookie. Flipped it year 2. Doubt if Brady would have won the superbowl if he had started in 2000.

It's a natural cycle. As the wily old veteran winds down his career, the young inexperienced gun is learning and trending upward. At some point their paths intersect and the change should be made. Probably best to switch a year too soon rather than a year too late for a variety of reasons.

It's an interesting discussion. Thanks for keeping it civil in the face of my closed mind on this subject. Looking forward to the start of the new league year and seeing what happens. :toast:

For sure.

I look around the league and see dozens of teams not sniff the playoff success with stud QBs in place. We have no idea at all what Stidham is. Looked decent in pre season against 2s. His only game action he immediately tosses a pick 6(that should’ve happened 2 or 3 times in pre season , but again, 2s).

Brady has the physical still. He looked great at times stepping around that OLine mess. The mental? Cmon. Grasp of Offense? It’s his Offense!

Stidham will be well served with at least another year of seasoning. And I’d draft his competition this year too.

Interesting that no one is talking about the salary cap. I see $30M being tossed around to keep Brady, but they'll need to find some savings to be active on the FA market.

Going into the new year, the Pats will start with $49M is space, about middle of the pack in the NFL (Miami is #1 at $98M and Buffalo is #3 at $88M).

Gilemore is #1 hit at 18.5M, but he's not going anywhere and with 2 years left, little to be gained from salary conversion. Perhaps time to renegotiate?

Hightower is a candidate to be cut or traded. His cap hit is 11.35M, but would drop to 2.5M (9M savings) if cut or traded.

Mason and Cannon are next at #3 and #4, but there's a big hit if Mason is cut (cap number goes up) and minimal savings on Cannon. Not much I can see being done here.

Some candidates with big cap savings if cut: JMac (4M Savings), Harmon (3.2M savings), Gostkowski (3.8M savings), Burkhead (3M savings), Bolden (1.5M savings).

You are the weakest link...goodbye!! He needs to be gone. I don't know what they saw in him in the first place. Never a 1,000 yd receiver. Always played in the shadow of a great #1. This is not the place for him especially for that kind of money.

i hope he said that, I bet Brady thinks he could have started day 1 in NE. Confidence is awesome, but that doesn't mean sitting didn't help, even sitting three years watching Farve fail to prepare.

If Tom leaves look for a Big time rushing game in NE with Complimentary passing like Tom's early career - not that there is anything wrong with that.

Like Hawg, I'm OK with Studham taking over if that 20 million saved is spent the right way.

Right. Follow the money.

People seem to forget that Brady had a year and half in our system before he took over and he didn't have Stidham's initial arm talent. It took him a while to push the envelope and throw deeper shots with any real success, but he got better because he wouldn't stop working at it.

Tom got traction because he found the open man and moved the sticks. It really ain't rocket science. Stidham could handle a similar role.

I'm not saying that it is definitely Stidham's time, but that it might be and nobody should panic if that happens.

I have a hard time seeing Hightower getting cut. Maybe restructure, but hopefully not cut. He was the most constant player out there. Gilmore getting restructured would be good to clear up some space.

It looks like Sanu's time is done with that contract. Unless BB really rates JMac, I think he's the odd man out, too. The secondary is an embarrassment of riches right now even without him - Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jon Jones, JoJuan Williams all looked good. They masked a really crappy front that basically had to blitz every time to get pressure.

Paying Brady $30MM is ludicrous and will kill destroy this team from a salary cap perspective. Let him walk, use his money to build the OLine and try and get another WR. Paying him that amount will virtually guarantee this team is in the cellar for the forseeable future, especially if he walks after next season.

That Bill Belichick can't draft for shit. :coffee:

To be fair, he’s much better drafting certain positions over others. Let’s not pretend he’s not one of the worst at drafting WRs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, he’s much better drafting certain positions over others. Let’s not pretend he’s not one of the worst at drafting WRs lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True enough. I'd be totally fine with BB not drafting a WR ever unless it was on the latter rounds. I think that's the position with the most busts in his tenure as GM.

I have a hard time seeing Hightower getting cut. Maybe restructure, but hopefully not cut. He was the most constant player out there. Gilmore getting restructured would be good to clear up some space.

It looks like Sanu's time is done with that contract. Unless BB really rates JMac, I think he's the odd man out, too. The secondary is an embarrassment of riches right now even without him - Gilmore, JC Jackson, Jon Jones, JoJuan Williams all looked good. They masked a really crappy front that basically had to blitz every time to get pressure.

The secondary is terrific and was the strength of the team this year. But when JMac went down and everyone moved up a spot the other teams secondary players started burning us.

Bill typically takes away the number 1 options and make them beat you with their secondary skill guys and they did for a good portion of the season.

If JoJuan Williams can step up I'd be in favor of letting Jason go but not until that point.

True enough. I'd be totally fine with BB not drafting a WR ever unless it was on the latter rounds. I think that's the position with the most busts in his tenure as GM.

He should look at running qb's to develop into wr's...like Edelman. :coffee:

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 PM ----------

Brady isn't worth $30M...if he wants that, he should be looking for a new team.

Back