2001 Tuck Rule Game

#1Patsfan_chica

Rodney Harrison Fan Club
Reaction score
For those of you that have nothing to watch, the NFL Network is replaying the '01 playoff game against Oakland right now.

The hell with the tuck rule, if Oakland makes that 3rd and inches late in the game, the Patriots are toast. I am so tired of hearing about the tuck rule.

Blind Walt Coleman, baby! Yeaaaaaahhh!!! Evens the score for the Ben Dreith "roughing the passer" call. woohoo

JD10367 on 06-07-2007 at 09:07 PM said:
Evens the score for the Ben Dreith "roughing the passer" call. woohoo

Remember when the Raiders were our arch rivals not the Colts? I almost feel bad for them...NOT!

well the 1st half is over and it's 7-0 Oakland

this Brady-guy sucks -- I hope we see Bledsoe after BB makes the halftime adjustments :thumb:

has anyone noticed how playing in 3" of slush at the old stadium they had better footing than in last year's mud-bowl loss to the Jets. LOL

Put in Bishop!

I am flipping back and forth between this, and the WSox/Yankee game.

RoadGrader on 06-07-2007 at 09:22 PM said:
this Brady-guy sucks -- I hope we see Bledsoe after BB makes the halftime adjustments :thumb:

I heard that the Patriots have a trained orangutan that can run the patented Belichick Offensive System just as well as this Brady fella.

Sort of on topic...The day of this game I was on my way back to my home in the Berkshires from Agawam and my truck broke down on the top of this huge hill known as "The Gorge." It had just started to snow. By the time the tow truck got there, it was a whiteout. I got towed back to Agawam and had to call for a ride. My buddy that I was going to watch the game with reluctantly drove out to get me (1. because it was a nor'easter and 2. because he didn't want to miss the game.) We were driving like 2 MPH all the way back to Great Barrington. We stopped at my house so I could get my "lucky" #54 jersey. We got to his house right as the kickoff was under way. With all I had been through up to that point, I took it as a sign that the Pats would win.

Crap I missed it...here's the highlights for those of you who love this game as much as I do: :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMMa7cZb2Jc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMMa7cZb2Jc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpEbWb8bXyQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpEbWb8bXyQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

TITAN126 on 06-08-2007 at 12:30 AM said:
Crap I missed it...here's the highlights for those of you who love this game as much as I do: :D

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMMa7cZb2Jc"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RMMa7cZb2Jc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpEbWb8bXyQ"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lpEbWb8bXyQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
.... goosebumps all over again :patriots:

This was the game that made me a believer out of Brady.
In all honesty I can say I thought their season was over when Chokeland went up by 10. It was a great run until then for the young untested QB. But now the season rested on his shoulders and scoring in that weather was near impossible.....and he delivered.

:thumb:

For all those crybaby Faider fans and a certain Flipper fan who resides in the Assclown Asylum...You're right about the bad call later in the 4th qtr.... It was clearly roughing the passer/blow to the head and a 15 yard penalty that was never called.
The penalty supercedes anything that happened afterwards. :4321:

Watching that game again in it's entirety was awesome. Although you knew the outcome which removed all the butterfiles it was still amazing to see just how few of those guys are still around.

Damien Woody, Terrell Buckley, Mark Edwards, Patton, Hot Rod Rutledge and Jerome Wiggins trying to leap over defenders.....

I always love watching that Oakland 3rd and inches when Seymour submarined the pile and took Zack Crockett's legs out from underneath him. He didn't get credit by the announcers, but make no mistake he was responsible for stopping that play and Tedy just cleaned up the wreckage and got credit for the tackle.

Seymour has made a lot of plays in his stellar career, but that was his best, imo, and most of the people watching it never saw how great it was between the snow and the Raider linemen on top of him, not to mention Phil Simms failed to point it out to the TV audience.

Seymour doesn't make that great play and SB 36 never happens, but I guess you could say the same thing about a lot of plays.

Freakin Zach Crockett...what a joke! Why was he even the back on that play?!! That play, and I'm only slightly exaggerating, led to 3 beautiful, wonderful Patriots championships.

Not to mention some other famous plays, of course....

I'll tell you what....sure, the Raiders had about 5 plays they could have made after the tuck play....but man, some of those players were DE-Flated after the tuck ruling. And the Pats were totally psyched up.

And after Vinatieri's unfathamable kick to send it to overtime, I KNEW the Pats were going to win.

Man, I could not wait to get home and take a shower after leaving Foxboro Stadium That day! But it was beautiful

The Final game at Foxboro Stadium, and there have not been any better games than that one, at the new Stadium

i mean just look at that 45 yard kick by Vinatieri, unbelieveable taht he made that kick

I was so pissed off at what I thought was a fumble, I turned the TV off and went to bed, only to have the Mrs. come in and wake me up an hour later to tell me that the Pats had won.

Learned a very valuable lesson that day...

PS on 06-08-2007 at 01:40 PM said:
I was so pissed off at what I thought was a fumble, I turned the TV off and went to bed, only to have the Mrs. come in and wake me up an hour later to tell me that the Pats had won.

Learned a very valuable lesson that day...
Same thing happened to me during the colts monday night comeback against the bucs.

NEVER leave early.

Oh and pats = cheaters, tuck rule, and such. :D (I keed)

Even though I've seen the DVD highlights many times, watching the original broadcast brought back all the emotion of that night.

I was watching at home. Wife was already in bed (she was pregnant with our 2nd child) . I was trying to be quiet so as not to wake her or our 1st kid up.

When the Tuck/fumble happened, I had that "same old patriots" feeling. Remember how that used to feel before this run of success! It's funny to think that the Patriots were once the laughing stock of the NFL... ah, how times change.

When the ruling went our way, I just knew we were going to win. It's like our history of bad breaks had been reversed (you know Raider fans... like that roughing the passer call! :D

I've seen the tuck play a bunch of times but didn't remember how oblivious Phil Simms was to the whole thing. It was edited on last night's broadcast which removed some of what he had to say but Gumble starts to comment on the arm going forward to show the other side of the issue but Simms just completely ignores what he has to say and doesn't follow-up at all. It didn't sound like he looked at any of the replays at all (again, that may have been edited out making him look worse). One thing about Phil Simms, his eyesight is still weak and he still ignores his play-by-play guy when they dispute his initial conclusions.

Seriously... I don't know how anyone can still be bitching about the "tuck play" and there are plenty of Raiders fans and Pats haters out there that do.

Not only did Oakland just fall apart in the 4th Q... I mean, they had opportunities and blew them. But... And I love Charles... It was a hit to the helmet.

Course you mention that to any of the haters and they tell you to stop whining or being a homer. :shake: What the hell do they think they're doing??? WHINING about a damn play six years ago, for Christ's sake.

The type of people who ARE still bitching and whining about that play, are people who you just can't reason with because, well, they're idiots.

Awesome game though. :thumb:

What you don't get to see in the highlights... Redmond returning kicks, looking like he's ice skating out there. His contributions to that game get lost behind Brady, and Wiggins, and the Tuck. It really was amazing that Redmond was able to gain any ground. Not to mention his catches in the OT drive. I mean, I'm not a huge Redmond fan or something, but I don't think he gets enough credit for what he did in that game. Not to mention the final drive of the SB. Just want to give Redmond some love. :clap:

Back