2012 Training Camp Thread

LOVE this on Chung & Moore!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2012/08/08/patriots_practice_report

Greg A. Bedard’s rundown of what happened at Tuesday’s Patriots practice with the Saints.

ATTENDANCE

Physically unable to perform: LG Logan Mankins (knee), RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), OT Markus Zusevics (unknown), TE Daniel Fells (shoulder), TE Jake Ballard (knee), DT Myron Pryor (shoulder).

Out: CB Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring), LB Tracy White (unknown), TE Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown), DT Jonathan Fanene (unknown), FB Spencer Larsen (unknown), OT Matt Kopa (leg), DT Ron Brace (unknown), OT Darrion Weems (precautionary), OT Kyle Hix (right shoulder), LB Brandon Spikes (unknown).

Not participating fully: WR Deion Branch (no team drills).

Returned to practice: S Derrick Martin, WR Jeremy Ebert, LB Dane Fletcher, S James Ihedigbo.

INJURIES

■ C/G Ryan Wendell appeared to be ailing for a stretch but returned to action.

■ OT Dustin Waldron limped off at the end of practice.

DRESS CODE

Full pads.

TOP PLAYS

1. Patriots TE Aaron Hernandez had a one-handed catch over Saints CB Johnny Patrick.

2. TE Rob Gronkowski leaped into the air along the back line to grab a pass, and then deftly tapped his feet down for the score in 7-on-7s.

3. Saints WR Joseph Morgan made a great leaping catch from Drew Brees over CB Kyle Arrington some 35 yards down the left sideline.

4. Patriots CB Sterling Moore made a great play to win the ball in the air against Saints RB Pierre Thomas, but Moore’s deflection went right to Thomas while he was on the ground for a touchdown.

THUMBS UP

S Patrick Chung was by far the Patriots’ best defender on the field against the Saints. He was terrific in coverage (even against TE Jimmy Graham), provided strong run support, and looked sure in his assignments. Chung has had a terrific camp to this point. The hope now is that he stays healthy and delivers during a contract year.

THUMBS DOWN

The Patriots had it taken to them by the Saints in 11-on-11 situations, and it started up front. The offensive line was one big sieve against the Saints’ active front and it threw off the entire offense, including QB Tom Brady, who only completed 7 of 16 passes (43.8 percent) and threw an interception. And because of injuries, the Saints were down to their 4-6 CBs for much of team drills. Conversely, New Orleans’ terrific offensive line easily handled the Patriots up front as Drew Brees hit on 18 of his 26 passes (69.2 percent) with an interception.

SUPERLATIVES

Dropped passes: None.

Nice catch: Ebert, Hernandez, Wes Welker, Britt Davis, Julian Edelman, Gronkowski.

Fumbled: None.

Interceptions: Steve Gregory (of Brees), Fletcher (of Chase Daniels); Saints S Malcolm Williams (of Brady), Curtis Lofton (of Brady), Marquice Cole (of Luke McCown).

ONE-ON-ONES

One man’s opinion on how the offensive and defensive lines matched up in one-on-one drills (our favorite part of camp). Records shown indicate wins-losses-draws.

This is just a look at the Patriots’ defense against the Saints’ offense. And take them with a grain of salt, there was a lot going on.

Standouts — Defense: Marcus Harrison (3-0-0), Marcus Fortson (2-0-0), Jake Bequette (1-0-1), Justin Francis (1-0-1).

Struggled — Defense: Trevor Scott (0-2-0), Chandler Jones (0-1-1).

Decided victories — Fortson (vs. Fenuki Tupou); Francis (vs. Hutch Eckerson).

The Patriots defense concluded before the offense so we were only able to see five reps for the Patriots, and it wasn’t pretty. RT Marcus Cannon, LG Dan Connolly, and RG Donald Thomas all were handily defeated by Junior Galette, Cameron Jordan, and Braylon Broughton, respectively. C Ryan Wendell completely shut down DT Alex Daniels, while LT Nate Solder did a real nice job against DE Will Smith.

The Patriots’ defensive line did a nice job overall, going 14-6-3. The second- and third-teamers really did a nice job against the Saints’ reserves.

Jones was solid against Jermon Bushrod, who is a good LT in the NFL. Jones held his own strength-wise, and kept his feet moving in a stalemate. Charles Brown’s initial punch stunned Jones on his next rep, but he didn’t back down.

Scott’s slump continues. He hasn’t shown many moves and he hasn’t overpowered anyone since the early stages of camp.

ODDS AND ENDS

■ The Saints were without top CBs Jabari Greer and Patrick Robinson, and then nickel corner Johnny Patrick left with an injury. They did not have starting WR Devery Henderson, WLB David Hawthorne and RB Mark Ingram.

■ In CB/WR one-on-ones, Saints quarterbacks started 21 of 24 before finishing with three incompletions. Ras-I Dowling lost all three matchups against Saints WR Andy Tanner, who was on the practice squad last year. Devin McCourty was beaten twice by Marques Clark. Arrington was the most competitive of the Patriots’ corners. Sterling Moore was made to look bad by Saints WR Lance Moore, who does that to a lot of people.

■ When the Patriots had their turn, Brady was 12 of 13 and Brian Hoyer was 13 of 18. Some nice back-shoulder catches from a host of Patriots.

■ In 7-on-7s, Brady was 11 for 13 with an interception. He did go deep to Jabar Gaffney for a touchdown. Hoyer was 2 of 2.

■ In 11-on-11 after Brady zipped a completion to Gronkowski between two defenders, Connolly got blown up to allow RB Stevan Ridley to get tackled for a 4-yard loss, and then Brady had to throw a screen into the turf because the blocking was so bad by Cannon. Both Connolly and Cannon were yanked for a few plays as a result. Later, Solder was smoked by DE Will Smith and was benched for a few plays.

■ Brandon Bolden was by far the Patriots’ best and most successful RB. Good power and vision.

■ Rob Ninkovich continues to a very nice job rushing the quarterback and causing problems.

■ Arrington and Dowling were beaten on back-to-back plays to start the third-down session.

■ The Patriots really like bringing S Tavon Wilson on blitzes when he’s in as the dime package.

■ Justin Francis and Kyle Love took Darren Sproles down for a loss.

■ OG Jeremiah Warren had the kind of practice you’d like to forget. He allowed Ridley to get taken down for a loss at one point, and then on the final drill he was beaten twice for would-be sacks in the span of four plays.

■ On Ryan Mallett’s one rep, he took a three-step drop, locked onto Brandon Lloyd and threw it 5 feet short.

■ Jones had a pass breakup.

■ Dont’a Hightower, at MLB with Brandon Spikes out, had no chance against Sproles in the pass game. But one play after giving up a red-zone toucheown, Hightower did meet Sproles in the hole for no gain.

■ Saints LB Curtis Lofton had a very impressive practice. He carried Gronkowski in coverage and popped Ridley hard on back-to-back red-zone plays. Second-year LB Martez Wilson was also all over the field.

■ Brady’s struggles subsided when he hooked up with Lloyd for a red-zone touchdown on a quick slant, and then two plays later Brady hit Gronkowski for a score. Both were against the Saints’ backups.

■ Jermaine Cunningham played DT in some sub packages.

■ Punter Zoltan Mesko (4.34 seconds hangtime) outkicked Thomas Morstead of the Saints (4.16). Morstead started with two really poor punts, but got off the best one (4.94). Mesko was more consistent. Ebert, in his first padded practice, got some return reps.

■ Some Patriots offensive players figured coach Bill Belichick would have plenty to say when the film is turned on. Plenty of teachable moments out there.

SCHEDULE

Wednesday: 10 a.m. with Saints

Thursday: 7:30 p.m. game vs. Saints

Friday: No practice.

Shalise Manza Young and Julian Benbow of the Globe staff contributed to this report.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...we-learned-tuesday-at-patriots-training-camp/

TEN THINGS WE LEARNED TUESDAY AT PATRIOTS TRAINING CAMP 08.07.12 at 11:44 pm ET
By Mike Petraglia

0 Comments

Tom Brady wasn't the only center of attraction Tuesday as Drew Brees drew a crowd at Patriots camp. (Mike Petraglia, WEEI.com)

FOXBORO — Sunshine and temperatures in the 80s provided the ideal atmosphere for the Patriots and Saints to hold the first of two joint practices Tuesday outside Gillette Stadium.

Rock star Jon Bon Jovi was in attendance, taking in practice with Patriots owner Robert Kraft on the field before visiting with Saints (and Hornets) owner Tom Benson and his wife under a tent. The Saints and Patriots warmed up for the first 30 minutes on their own before spending the final 90 minutes going against each other in various drills, such as 7-on-7, 11-on-11 and special teams.

And Sean Payton was out as his one-year NFL suspension for “Bountygate” is officially underway.

The last time the two teams scrimmaged (in 2010), Payton was the coach. Belichick was asked about his absence on Tuesday.

“I miss Sean not being here,” Belichick said. “I think the world of Sean and he’s a great friend. I look forward to seeing him back out here soon.”

The two teams will practice again on Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. in a lighter walk-through workout.

ROLL CALL
The notable absentees from Tuesday included linebacker Brandon Spikes for a third straight day, fullback Eric Kettani, offensive linemen Kyle Hix, offensive lineman Darrion Weems. Also missing again were Spencer Larsen, Matt Kopa, Tracy White, Visanthe Shiancoe, Jake Ballard and Jonathan Fanene.

In shorts were tight end Daniel Fells,, offensive linemen Logan Mankins and Sebastian Vollmer, Rob Brace and Myron Pyror, rookie cornerback Alfonzo Denard, and tackle Markus Zusevics .

Here are nine other things we learned from Day 11 of training camp:

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Dan Connolly once again got extensive work at the right guard position on the first unit, joining center Ryan Wendell, right tackle Marcus Cannon, left guard Donald Thomas and left tackle Nate Solder. Dan Koppen again found himself on the second team offensive line, centering a unit that including right tackle Dustin Waldron, right guard Derrick Dennis (sporting Robert Gallery‘s old No. 72), left tackle Jeremiah Warren and right tackle Nick McDonald as the Patriots swapped out the left and right sides of the second unit on Tuesday.

DEFENSIVE GROUPINGS:

The Patriots showed off more of their two-down technique on Tuesday with Vince Wilfork and Brandon Deaderick swapping out with Kyle Love on the defensive line. Of particular note, linebacker Bobby Carpenter continues to see plenty of rotations in different groupings. He started off on the weak side Tuesday but showed up on the strong side on a blitz next to Rob Ninkovich. With Spikes out, rookie Dont’a Hightower again played inside while Jerod Mayo saw some snaps on the weak side.

GETTING TESTED:

Drew Brees connected on his first seven passes in 7-on-7 drills as Jimmy Graham was a star, collecting a pair of TD catches and dunking them over the goal post. Marques Colston also got the best of Ras-I Dowling and Devin McCourty. But, in 11-on-11 drills, the Patriots exacted a measure of revenge as Dane Fletcher picked off Chase Daniel in the end zone.

BRADY UP AND DOWN:

Tom Brady completed six of his first seven passes in 7-on-7 drills, including a nice post route TD to Jabar Gaffney. Brian Hoyer came on completed one pass before Brady returned for the next seven snaps. He threw two more TDs but Rob Gronkowski was called for offensive pass interference while Brady was intercepted linebacker Curtis Lofton.

BRADY vs. BREES:

Tom Brady and Drew Brees are two of the best quarterbacks in the NFL, hands down. Both defenses are getting the benefit of facing both of them for three straight days in camp and preseason as they prepare for the season. “You talk about trying to play those top guys in the league like Tom, and now having Drew in here, we don’t get a break, so you really have to try to be perfect. It sounds crazy – so you try to be perfect on every play but when you go against quarterbacks of that caliber you really do because you know 90 percent of the time they’re going to be perfect,” Pats DB Devin McCourty said. “The ball is going to be where it has to be and you really have to play very well on defense to try and compete with those guys.”

ZOLTAN THE WARRIOR:

Punter Zoltan Mesko got off eight consecutive punts with mixed results. His first punt was to the lethal Darren Sproles, a good 45-yard boot. His second was a shank off to the right. His third appeared to be a planned breakdown on the right side of the line as Mesko rolled out to the left on a bootleg. His fourth was a directional punt off to the right. His next two punts were over 50 yards and his final punt was 35 yards but the Saints returner tried to field and missed it, as it rolled another 15 yards for what turned out to be a very good punt.

FINISHING TOUCH:

Both teams finished practice with field goal work before getting together at midfield in one big huddle. The two teams then broke down into their separate team huddles.

PLAY OF THE DAY:

During 7-on-7s, Brady threw deep to Hernandez and the Patriots receiver reached out with one hand and made a spectacular diving grab 40 yards down field along the left sideline. The crowd erupted in applause. Hernandez has looked outstanding all camp and Tuesday was no different as Brady and the tight end continue developing an impressive chemistry.

HEAVY HEART:

Saints owner Tom Benson flew coach Joe Vitt and Pats coach Bill Belichick down to Philadelphia Tuesday morning for the funeral of Garrett Reid, the 27-year-old son of Eagles coach Andy Reid. “It’s kind of a heavy heart today with going to Garrett Reid’s services and seeing Andy,” Belichick said after practice. “The Saints, Mr. Benson, were generous enough to let me go down there with them on their plane this morning. I’m just glad I had an opportunity to be there and see Andy and his family and the Eagles organization. I have a lot of respect for them and what they do as well. They’re great friends and my heart goes out to him and our team does to the Eagles.”

That doesn't seem quite so negative, HS.

Jason+Devin McCourty ‏@McCourtyTwins
Lol Z ruined our picture (D-Mac) RT @gDerbs: PHOTOBOMB @ZoltanMesko @McCourtyTwins pic.twitter.com/PXtK7FjD

ROFL

Jason+Devin McCourty ‏@McCourtyTwins
Lol Z ruined our picture (D-Mac) RT @gDerbs: PHOTOBOMB @ZoltanMesko @McCourtyTwins pic.twitter.com/PXtK7FjD

ROFL

lol

Some nice photos here from yesterday

http://www.csnne.com/photogallery?gid=13319&gf=aggregate

Love this one of Bolden going up high for a catch
13319_214135.jpg

And AHern's 1 handed catch
13319_214143.jpg

http://www.csnne.com/football-new-e...-on-the-greatness?blockID=753369&feedID=10426

Stallworth's perspective on the greatness of Brady, Brees

August 8, 2012, 9:32 am SHARE THIS POST0 COMMENTS

Recommend

Twitter

Email

FOXBORO -- Two of the best quarterbacks in the league took the practice field in yesterday's joint session between the Patriots and Saints. Donte' Stallworth has had the chance to catch passes from both during his career, and he praised both Tom Brady and Drew Brees for their elite accuracy and timing when throwing to receivers.

"As I've gotten older, the best thing for all receivers, both of those guys they throw the ball right out of your breaks," Stallworth said. "As a receiver, that's all you can ask for. There's not much separation in the NFL, but when you do, those guys throw the ball right on point and it gives you a chance to do some running after the catch. That's what both of those guys do really well."

Stallworth was drafted by the Saints in 2002 and spent four seasons with the team. On Tuesday, he was visibly giddy to see some of his pals from New Orleans before practice got underway. At one point, he danced to the music blaring over the Gillette loudspeakers with a member of the Saints coaching staff.

"It's good to see old friends," Stallworth said. "A couple of these guys I haven't seen in years. Me and Will [Smith] have been good friends ever since he was drafted by the Saints and I was there so I see him all the time. I hadn't seen Lance [Moore] in a while, haven't seen Drew in a while. I seen Lance and Drew in the weight room yesterday and had a chance to spend a little time with those guys and talk to them and catch up so it's always good to see some old friends, good buddies."

As he enjoyed their company, he also enjoyed the training camp show put on by Brady and Brees. He'll have another chance to watch them go to work on Wednesday as the teams go through the second of their joint practices.

"It's two of the best of all time on the field at the same time," Stallworth said. "To see those guys go to work and actually catching passes from both of those guys at one time throughout the duration of my career, it's been amazing to be able to watch those guys go to work during the regular season."

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports...we-learned-tuesday-at-patriots-training-camp/

With Spikes out, rookie Dont’a Hightower again played inside while Jerod Mayo saw some snaps on the weak side.

I think it's a little interesting that when Spikes is out it's Hightower that gets moved inside leaving Mayo outside, rather than vice-versa. Especially considering that Mayo has excelled inside in the past.

Is it more a matter of expanding Hightower's versatility or narrowing and focusing Mayo's role as strictly an OLB?

While I left before the heavy 11-on-11 sessions finished up, from what I saw it was more about Brady having an off day. I saw two throws into the ground for no reason, and an easy pick in the EZ. Yes, the OL is a concern. Yes, the OL is not deep even when fully healthy. Yes, it's not fully healthy and was missing key projected starters. Last time I checked, the Saints are a powerful team. If our OL is already weak, and we're playing backups, and they manhandled the Saints, I would be shocked.

While I left before the heavy 11-on-11 sessions finished up, from what I saw it was more about Brady having an off day. I saw two throws into the ground for no reason, and an easy pick in the EZ. Yes, the OL is a concern. Yes, the OL is not deep even when fully healthy. Yes, it's not fully healthy and was missing key projected starters. Last time I checked, the Saints are a powerful team. If our OL is already weak, and we're playing backups, and they manhandled the Saints, I would be shocked.

Gosh you are just too negative.:coffee:

From today's practice

Posted by Greg A. Bedard August 8, 2012 02:41 PM

By Greg A. Bedard, Globe Staff
FOXBOROUGH – A rundown of what went on between the Patriots and Saints in this afternoon’s light practice.
ATTENDANCE PLEASE
Reserve/did not report: RG Brian Waters.
Exempt/left team: FB Tony Fiammetta.
Physically unable to perform: LG Logan Mankins (knee), RT Sebastian Vollmer (back), OT Markus Zusevics (unknown), TE Daniel Fells (shoulder), TE Jake Ballard (knee), DT Myron Pryor (shoulder).
Out: CB Alfonzo Dennard (hamstring), LB Tracy White (unknown), TE Visanthe Shiancoe (unknown), DT Jonathan Fanene (unknown), FB Spencer Larsen (unknown), OT Matt Kopa (leg), DT Ron Brace (unknown), OT Kyle Hix (right shoulder), LB Brandon Spikes (unknown).
Not participating fully:: WR Deion Branch (no team drills).
Returned to practice: OT Darrion Weems.
INJURIES
None.
DRESS CODE
Shells and shorts.
TOP PLAYS

1. Saints TE Jimmy Graham made a ridiculous leaping and twisting catch in the seam for a touchdown over LB Dont’a Hightower, who had great coverage. Graham spiked the ball, drew a penalty, and did not appear again. Graham may have dinged his back.
  2. Patriots WR Jesse Holley went high into the air to outfight Saints S Jerico Nelson for a deep pass from Brian Hoyer.
THUMBS UP
Running out ways to describe how good of a camp TE Aaron Hernandez is having. It sure seems like he has become Tom Brady’s favorite target, as Hernandez had six of Brady’s 10 completions in 11-on-11s. If Hernandez stays healthy, he’s going to have a monster season. Had the same feeling about Rob Gronkowski at this point last year.
THUMBS DOWN
Not much could really be done about it, but it’s just a shame that the Patriots are about to start games and they’ve only had one player, LT Nate Solder, in his projected starting spot along the offensive line. Dan Connolly hasn’t been seen at center since the first couple days, and the Patriots are without LG Logan Mankins, RG Brian Waters and RT Sebastian Vollmer. Not ideal, but manageable with a veteran group.
SUPERLATIVES
Dropped passes: Jesse Holley.
Nice catch: Holley, Graham, Hernandez.
Fumbled: None.
Interceptions: None.
ODDS AND ENDS

• Patrick Chung and James Ihedigbo looked at each other after Saints TE Michael Higgins was left wide open for a touchdown. Apparently a communication error.
  • Both teams got a lot of special teams work in. Rob Gronkowski took a bad angle leaping for an onsides kick and Saints WR Courtney Roby was able to tip the deflection back into play.
  • RB Brandon Bolden is getting time on special teams units. That’s pointing him to a roster sport down the line.
  • Amazing that Sergio Brown still shows up on top special teams. You’d figure the Patriots would only have so many spots for special teams-only players. Nate Ebner also getting looks.
  • QB Tom Brady was a perfect 9-of-9 in red zone 7-on-7s.
  • In 11-on-11s with half-speed pass rush, Brees had a miscommunication with Graham on the first snap, then hit his next eight passes. Chase Daniels was 2 of 3.
  • Brady, after an off day on Tuesday, didn’t yield any snaps to backups in his session. Brady was 10 of 12 and was in a much better rhythm.
  • Nick McDonald split his time between left tackle and center.
  • Hightower was back full-time at SLB with Dane Fletcher at MLB.
  • Just an observation, but RT Sebastian Vollmer didn’t exactly give off a fully healthy vibe as he walked off the field after a rehab workout. Guess we would describe it as a labored walked.
SCHEDULE
Thursday: 7:30 p.m. game vs. Saints
http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ractice_rundow_11.html?camp=misc:on:twit:pats

From all I've read, Bolden is making this team.

Video is at link.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-sean-payton-video-into-practices-with-saints

Pats incorporate Sean Payton video into practices with Saints

Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2012, 12:36 PM EDT
610x-610.jpg
AP Sean Payton and Bill Belichick have a lot in common. They both own Super Bowl rings. They both call Bill Parcells a mentor. (They’ve both likely at some point called Parcells something more profane than “mentor” under their breath.)
And they both have been on the wrong side of the league in cheating scandals that involved activities that other teams arguably have engaged in.
So as the Patriots and Saints practiced together in advance of a Thursday night preseason game, Belichick and the Patriots had a present for Payton’s Saints, according to an observer at the sessions. Both practices opened with portions of Saints coach Sean Payton’s stirring locker-room speech from Kenny Chesney’s Boys of Fall video. And Wednesday’s session ended with the song When The Saints Go Marching In played over the loudspeakers.
Some may interpret the gesture as a show of solidarity with the Saints, given that the Patriots have had a similar experience. Regardless, the Saints got an unexpected visit from their suspended head coach on Tuesday and Wednesday, courtesy of a head coach who wasn’t suspended but nevertheless punished publicly and aggressively by the league nearly five years ago.

Back