2017 Hall of Fame Finalists announced - Ty Law in

Roberto71

Reaction score
It's being annonced now. 15 finalists.

So far,

2017 Hall of Fame finalists (will be updated)

1. Brian Dawkins, safety (Philadelphia Eagles, 1996-2008; Denver Broncos, 2009-2011)

2. Jason Taylor, defensive end (Miami Dolphins, 1997-2007, '09, 2011; Washington Redskins, 2008; New York Jets, 2010)

3. LaDainian, Tomlinson, running back (San Diego Chargers, 2001-09; New York Jets, 2010-11)

4. Morten Anderson, kicker (New Orleans Saints, 1982-1994; Atlanta Falcons, 1995-2000; 2006-07; New York Giants, 2001; Kansas City Chiefs, 2002-03; Minnesota Vikings, 2004)

5. Don Coryell, coach (St. Louis Cardinals, 1973-77; San Diego Chargers, 1978-1986)

6. Kurt Warner, quarterback (St. Louis Rams, 1998-2003; New York Giants, 2004; Arizona Cardinals, 2005-09)

7. Terrell Davis, running back (Denver Broncos, 1995-2001)

8. Isaac Bruce, wide receiver (Los Angeles Rams, 1994; St. Louis Rams, 1995-2007; San Francisco 49ers, 2008-09)

9. Terrell Owens, wide receiver (San Francisco 49ers, 1996-2003; Philadelphia Eagles, 2004-05; Dallas Cowboys, 2006-08; Buffalo Bills, 2009; Cincinnati Bengals, 2010)

10. Tony Boselli, offensive tackle (Jacksonville Jaguars, 1995-2001; Houston Texans, 2002)

11. Alan Faneca, guard (Pittsburgh Steelers, 1998-2007; New York Jets, 2008-09; Arizona Cardinals, 2010)

12. Joe Jacoby, offensive tackle (Washington Redskins, 1981-1993)

13. Ty Law, cornerback (New England Patriots, 1995-2004; New York Jets, 2005, '08; Kansas City Chiefs, 2006-07; Denver Broncos, 2009)

14. John Lynch, safety (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 1993-2003; Denver Broncos, 2004-07)

15. Kevin Mawae, center (Seattle Seahawks, 1994-97; New York Jets, 1998-2005; Tennessee Titans, 2006-09)

I remember a few years back, Bill was Miced up during a Pats-Finns game and he zeroed in on Jason Taylor after the game and told him straight, "You'll be in the Hall of Fame". He clearly thought highly of Taylor.

Coryell? Does he deserve it???

EDIT: Ty Law announced as finalist.

111-83 in the regular season in 14 years. That's roughly a 8-6 record every year. About the same career winning percentage as Hall Of Famer Chuck Noll (slightly better, in fact).

But, he was only 3-6 in the playoffs. Two conference championship game appearances, both losses.

We've all heard about AirCoryell, and it was fun to watch, but ultimately the teams he built never even made it to the Super Bowl.

He should be in the Chargers Hall Of Fame, or Ring Of Honor (or whatever they have), but not the Pro Football Hall Of Fame.

IMHO.

Owens, Morten Anderson, Taylor all seem worthy as well as Law.

Law won rings that should help him, no?

And fvck Ldt.

Looking at that list you wonder how much of an impact it is to be seen/ heard on national Tv to getting in.

Some voters may not be able to remember some of these finalists.

Like John Clayton HOF reporter. Really???

Ps. Be nice if Law's bust was next to Fivehead(he'll be In) with an inscription about 'thanks for the interceptions ".

ROFL from twitter @MikeReiss Law will intercept Kurt Warner's votes.

so glad for jt, and glad i can root for him for something, finally. lol
I'd love to see dawk get in. he was, for a long time, the only player i could stomach in Philly.
plus, it might make it easier for rodney to get in. :D

Well, you can make a case either way, really.

He was a marginally above .500 head coach with a couple of teams, and couldn't field a defense to save his life.

Then again, those offenses were very exciting - and probably more importantly, is still one of the three main offenses run in the league. So that's something.

I liked Boselli as a player, super talented, but has no business being on this list. Sucks he got hurt, and got his career shortened, but you can't play 6 years and be a hall of famer unless you're a league-changer - and unless Boselli returned kicks awesomely or something and I don't remember it, he just didn't.

Same goes for Terrell Davis, but I've ranted about that nonsense way too many times.

Tomlinson's about as lead-pipe cinch of a lock that there could be on this list. Even though he's a whiny bitch quitter. :coffee:

Very happy for Law. I think he has a slim chance to get in. The only locks on the list are Owens and Tomilson IMO. And they may make Owens wait another year because they hate him. Interesting to see so many safeties and no Rodney. He should be on the list too.

Well, you can make a case either way, really.

He was a marginally above .500 head coach with a couple of teams, and couldn't field a defense to save his life.

Then again, those offenses were very exciting - and probably more importantly, is still one of the three main offenses run in the league. So that's something.

I liked Boselli as a player, super talented, but has no business being on this list. Sucks he got hurt, and got his career shortened, but you can't play 6 years and be a hall of famer unless you're a league-changer - and unless Boselli returned kicks awesomely or something and I don't remember it, he just didn't.

Same goes for Terrell Davis, but I've ranted about that nonsense way too many times.

Tomlinson's about as lead-pipe cinch of a lock that there could be on this list. Even though he's a whiny bitch quitter. :coffee:

Agree. If Coryell gets in he will get in based on his legacy for the game. I loved watching Fouts run it but I absolutely dislike listening to him on TV.

Agree again. Boselli was a great player but longevity has to be considered.

Third time's a charm. LdT will get in first ballot without a question. Whining about the Patriots will garner him even more votes.

Joe Jacoby was a great player who also deserves to get voted into the HOF 1st ballot.

It's a crap shoot after those 2 for this year imo. Coryell deserves a seat but not necessarily this vote. Similarly, Jason Taylor, Alan Faneca, Mawae, Anderson, Law and Lynch. Faneca and Mawae appear to have the best chance this vote. Add Morten Anderson if minds are changing on place kickers; he was 1 of the best ever.

Kurt Warner - never.
He had 4-5 good years but in his best years his numbers were pedestrian by comparison to the QBs in the HOF for every year but '99. Besides, Warner gets an INCOMPLETE grade for 7 of his 12 seasons bc he started fewer than 11 games 7 times for his own team. Iow, he wasn't considered the starter and played bc the starter got injured. He had longevity but he was an INT machine, too. (12 years --> only 208 TDs vs 128 INTs).
http://www.nfl.com/player/kurtwarner/2503540/careerstats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Terrell Davis - never.
See Tommy's answer for Boselli + he cheated the cap to get paid.

Isaac Bruce - maybe
But it will take a while & someone will have to beat the drums to get him voted in.

Agree. If Coryell gets in he will get in based on his legacy for the game. I loved watching Fouts run it but I absolutely dislike listening to him on TV.

Agree again. Boselli was a great player but longevity has to be considered.

Third time's a charm. LdT will get in first ballot without a question. Whining about the Patriots will garner him even more votes.

Joe Jacoby was a great player who also deserves to get voted into the HOF 1st ballot.

It's a crap shoot after those 2 for this year imo. Coryell deserves a seat but not necessarily this vote. Similarly, Jason Taylor, Alan Faneca, Mawae, Anderson, Law and Lynch. Faneca and Mawae appear to have the best chance this vote. Add Morten Anderson if minds are changing on place kickers; he was 1 of the best ever.

Kurt Warner - never.
He had 4-5 good years but in his best years his numbers were pedestrian by comparison to the QBs in the HOF for every year but '99. Besides, Warner gets an INCOMPLETE grade for 7 of his 12 seasons bc he started fewer than 11 games 7 times for his own team. Iow, he wasn't considered the starter and played bc the starter got injured. He had longevity but he was an INT machine, too. (12 years --> only 208 TDs vs 128 INTs).
http://www.nfl.com/player/kurtwarner/2503540/careerstats
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Warner

Terrell Davis - never.
See Tommy's answer for Boselli + he cheated the cap to get paid.

Isaac Bruce - maybe
But it will take a while & someone will have to beat the drums to get him voted in.

Owens should be a lock. Should have been a first ballot HoF but he is hated by the media and voters.

IMO, the only sure bets are Taylor and Tomlinson.
Warner may get in due to the overall weakness of the finalists and media talking heads now get in whether deserved or not.
Law may have a chance due to the overall weakness.

When I saw LDT's name, very first thing I thought of was crybaby! :***:

Second thing was him sulking on the bench while Rivers was hobbling around on one leg.

Two 1st time ballots getting in with Taylor and LdT?

I think Dawkins, the other 1st timer, was a big game changer and worthy but with so many Safeties on this ballot it could hurt him.

i hate ldt but hes absolutely 1st ballot. I've never seen a better all around rb besides payton.
T.O. should get in too. anyone who takes character into consideration should be removed
from the voting process. it's not the "h.o.f.a.c." (hall of fame and character). this is ostensibly (though not truly) a talent/ability/production entity. those are the only things that should count...period.

i hate ldt but hes absolutely 1st ballot.
I just took a look at the visitor's bench at Gillette.

Tomlinson is still sitting there - it's hard to see through the face shield on his helmet, but I think this is what's happening: :crying:

Pretty weak class IMO. I think LtD and Taylor are the only ones I see as locks. No chance Law gets in.

Taylor and Tomlinson will be the only total locks.

I think Morton Andersen is the best kicker I've seen who isn't still active, but I doubt he gets in.

I think Alan Faneca should get consideration, but probably won't.

Law should obviously get in, but probably won't.

I can see the argument for Warner at least, so if he gets in, I guess I won't be too mad. The Cardinals coda to his career really helps his case.

I thought Jacoby was a product of Russ Grimm being awesome, but we'll see what voters think.

The place is very close to being the Hall of ESPN, and completely worthless anyway.

Back