Aaron Hernadez's brother suspended for "stealing plays."

AllWorldTE

Reaction score
I found this to be interesting. Aaron Hernandez's brother DJ Hernandez, the head football Coach at Southington High in Connecticut has been suspended for a game for using an opponents' wristband in their game a few weeks ago. The wristband containing Manchester HS's play list was found on the field and used by Hernandez to tell his defense what plays were coming during a late game drive.

Is this cheating? Should Hernandez have given the wristband back to the other HC or used it to his team's advantage as he admits doing? I've seen a lot worse than this over the years (guys spying on practice, wired up sideline crews, etc) so I'm wondering if this has been over blown.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/football/view.bg?articleid=1295254&srvc=next_article

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...rticleid=1295254&format=comments#CommentsArea

I found this to be interesting. Aaron Hernandez's brother DJ Hernandez, the head football Coach at Southington High in Connecticut has been suspended for a game for using an opponents' wristband in their game a few weeks ago. The wristband containing Manchester HS's play list was found on the field and used by Hernandez to tell his defense what plays were coming during a late game drive.

Is this cheating? Should Hernandez have given the wristband back to the other HC or used it to his team's advantage as he admits doing? I've seen a lot worse than this over the years (guys spying on practice, wired up sideline crews, etc) so I'm wondering if this has been over blown.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/football/view.bg?articleid=1295254&srvc=next_article

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/...rticleid=1295254&format=comments#CommentsArea
Since it fell off the other team players, I'd say he's fine - that's a risk you take by having an armband. That's like saying if you hold up a giant sign that says "Counter Trade Left" the other team should ignore it in the spirit of the game. Good intel falls in your lap, shame on them for not guarding it better. Now if he'd stolen it, it'd be a different story, but as this one reads, I think he's ok personally.

Football in it's nature is a ground acquistion game.
Just as war Is.

If Hitler's 'game plan' was dropped on the field of battle should Patton have given it back ?

What are they teaching at that school ? :banghead:

Football in it's nature is a ground acquistion game.

With this word in mind, I'm looking at this more as a breech of coaching ethics, rather than an example of "cheating." I can't think of a "rule" Hernandez violated here. The wristband did fall out of an opponent's wristband. Ethically, Hernandez probably should have given it to an official to return but, coaches do a lot of things that piss of other coaches. Coaching ethics are no different than every day ethics. People have differing opinions of what is ethical and what is not.

I know coaches who won't vote great players to all-star teams because that player's coach runs up the score. Is that ethical?

I know coaches who can't wait for the day they can run it up on a coach who ran it up on them years before (what comes around...). Is it ethical to punish a bunch of kids for something their coach did while they were in grade school?

We play our final game of the regular season on Thanksgiving. Traditionally, the JV plays on the previous Saturday while the two varsity squads watch. The varsity goes out and practices after that. One year, at a home jv game, I lost my practice plan for the day which contained our play list and our practice plan to prepare for our opponent's extensive blitz package. One of their kid's parents grabbed it and it made it's way to their staff. What should they have done with it?

We play our final game of the regular season on Thanksgiving. Traditionally, the JV plays on the previous Saturday while the two varsity squads watch. The varsity goes out and practices after that. One year, at a home jv game, I lost my practice plan for the day which contained our play list and our practice plan to prepare for our opponent's extensive blitz package. One of their kid's parents grabbed it and it made it's way to their staff. What should they have done with it?

Who knows what they should have done, but I know what I would have done.

I'd have given it back and told you that I made a copy of it to study for the upcoming game. Then you'd have to change your play list and practice plan. Or at least you'd have to think about it really hard. I get the best of both worlds that way ;)

Football is a competitive game, at the high school level it's still a teaching tool and usually hasn't crossed over into the income relationship lessons of higher education. Competition is still frowned upon by promoters of hurt feelings and hyper sensitivity in society, an influence which in some quarters seems to be waning. The question becomes when does sportsmanship in competition apply, and when does teaching youths there are consequences to even accidental actions in life make more sense?

In this case I have no problem with the Head Coach using a rival's wrist band recovered from the field of play, it teaches his students that your opponent's mistakes, and your own, when it comes to competition are dangerous. If one of his students were to go into business and leave his weekly plan where a rival business could read and exploit the information we would shrug and say the burden was on the man who mishandled his proprietary information.

I would hope D.J. was forthcoming when investigated, there are times and places owning up to your actions may not be the wisest course, but here admitting up front you used mishandled opposition information teaches students of both schools a lesson in life. The suspension to me is from a poor understanding of sportsmanship. In a horse race, with no purse, you do not stop and pick your opponent up and put him back on the horse. In that case sportsmanship is not riding him over or spooking his horse to run away. If he is injured sportsmanship demands you stop and aid him. There's a fine line, but if D.J. has the integrity to answer yes up front when challenged, he's correctly using this opportunity as a teaching tool for his students, I have less hope for the oversight group suspending him, somebody's feelings are hurt because they failed to pay attention, and failed to adjust to sudden change - boo hoo.

With this word in mind, I'm looking at this more as a breech of coaching ethics, rather than an example of "cheating." I can't think of a "rule" Hernandez violated here. The wristband did fall out of an opponent's wristband. Ethically, Hernandez probably should have given it to an official to return but, coaches do a lot of things that piss of other coaches. Coaching ethics are no different than every day ethics. People have differing opinions of what is ethical and what is not.

I know coaches who won't vote great players to all-star teams because that player's coach runs up the score. Is that ethical?

I know coaches who can't wait for the day they can run it up on a coach who ran it up on them years before (what comes around...). Is it ethical to punish a bunch of kids for something their coach did while they were in grade school?

I retrospect-
In certain levels of football is it about teaching "right vs wrong" or still
about trying too win ???

I Don't see as the coach did anything wrong,Perhaps he missed an opportunity to show others how they could/should behave outside of football?

As for Me...
I would have used it/Recorded It.. and sent it back after I've run up the score:rockon:

I'd have given it back and told you that I made a copy of it to study for the upcoming game. Then you'd have to change your play list and practice plan. Or at least you'd have to think about it really hard. I get the best of both worlds that way ;)

This.

In my short opinion he had an opportunity to teach kids about the integrity of competition. There was a lesson to be taught to young, impressionable minds about winning or losing without smudging the lines of fair competition. He missed it IMO. Suspension warranted.

Playing head game eh? I would have just smiled and said...Oh you found the play list I lost, eh?

Football is a competitive game, at the high school level it's still a teaching tool and usually hasn't crossed over into the income relationship lessons of higher education. Competition is still frowned upon by promoters of hurt feelings and hyper sensitivity in society, an influence which in some quarters seems to be waning. The question becomes when does sportsmanship in competition apply, and when does teaching youths there are consequences to even accidental actions in life make more sense?

In this case I have no problem with the Head Coach using a rival's wrist band recovered from the field of play, it teaches his students that your opponent's mistakes, and your own, when it comes to competition are dangerous. If one of his students were to go into business and leave his weekly plan where a rival business could read and exploit the information we would shrug and say the burden was on the man who mishandled his proprietary information.

I would hope D.J. was forthcoming when investigated, there are times and places owning up to your actions may not be the wisest course, but here admitting up front you used mishandled opposition information teaches students of both schools a lesson in life. The suspension to me is from a poor understanding of sportsmanship. In a horse race, with no purse, you do not stop and pick your opponent up and put him back on the horse. In that case sportsmanship is not riding him over or spooking his horse to run away. If he is injured sportsmanship demands you stop and aid him. There's a fine line, but if D.J. has the integrity to answer yes up front when challenged, he's correctly using this opportunity as a teaching tool for his students, I have less hope for the oversight group suspending him, somebody's feelings are hurt because they failed to pay attention, and failed to adjust to sudden change - boo hoo.

Good post. From what I've read, It appears that Coach Hernandez did admit to using the wrist band and did try to impress a lesson learned on his team. The HC who filed the protest? I believe your last point if accurate. He may have been better served to let the matter lie and teach his team a valuable lesson himself.

Competition is still frowned upon by promoters of hurt feelings and hyper sensitivity in society, an influence which in some quarters seems to be waning. The question becomes when does sportsmanship in competition apply, and when does teaching youths there are consequences to even accidental actions in life make more sense?

Agree Box,

In some Schools here, on Athletics day, EVERYONE of the Kids who compets gets a medal no matter where they finish in the race (I know these kids are 8-9 years old but imo thats not too young to teach them about competition). Im not a fan of this tbh

Was just thinking this

The Spygate people will have a field day with this:rolleyes:
I think BSPN,Goodell, the fanbase of the JETS,Giants, and Steelers should demand for BB's resignation...:rolleyes:

I don't know if I want that fullback Gronk. He's the one who got Romo hurt.

Back