Amatuer Photography Thread

this thing makes me think of the well from the Ring.

:thumb: Or Pan's Labyrinth.

It was a crazy place. We were there at sunset, so it was kind of magical. Wandered into some cave and came out the other end into that.

Visited the Salton Sea last weekend. What a fascinating/terrifying place.

It was created by accident, when workers over 100 years ago were trying to cut a canal from the Colorado River and ended up flooding the basin with the entire rush of the River for two years. It created a lake 18 times the size of Manhattan. It was a popular vacation destination in the 50s and 60s, with resorts popping up along the shore. The rat pack were regulars.

The lake didn't dry up because it was being fed by agricultural runoff. So, by the 70s, it started to smell. Then came the fish die offs of Biblical proportions.

It's rapidly evaporating, now. Apparently losing 6 feet of elevation per year. The beach is covered in crushed up fish bones.

It's one of the most terrying places I've ever been.

Got back from Iceland a couple of weeks ago, and have just finished going through my pictures, pretty happy with how this one came out..... Jökulsárlón Glacier lagoon, SouthEast coast of Iceland.

SSDD

I took this one a couple nights ago on my phone. It's a picture of our church with the moon peeking through the clouds. I wish I had a better camera with me at the time because I think it could have been a really awesome shot.

Steve-o I read somewhere that a lot of mob guys used to vacation here back when it was popular. Wonder if anyone will "turn up"

headcase - that's a great shot, how was Iceland as a destination?

I'm sure there will be some insane things that turn up. Bodies... vehicles? I regret not taking my aquarium testing kits and equipment out there, but apparently, the salinity is at 44 ppm last time someone took a reading. The ocean is 35.

On a lighter note, I finally found the perfect opportunity to use this camera mode, when we got to Joshua Tree. :thumb:

We recently participated in a fundraising event to benefit a local hockey player that broke his neck during a game. The Red Wings Alumni team played a group of seniors. We had over 4,000 people at the game and raised over $100,000 for Anthony Mastronardi.

It was a tremendous experience for everyone involved. The hockey community really stepped up. It was emotional then and is again now as I type this. The kid has a battle ahead, but the best attitude you could possibly imagine.

This will pay for items he needs that are over and above what his insurance will pay for such as electric lifts to get him in and out of bed and tub and to better outfit the family's van to accommodate his electric wheel chair.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...udent-paralyzed-playing-hockey-sets-new-goals

Our son Ethan (De La Salle, #28 middle) with John Blum (8 years in the NHL, 5 with the Bruins) and 2 of his teammates also selected to play in the game after the predictable 6-3 loss for the boys.

I shoot all of their games usually with better results but in this case I was relegated to the stands.

We recently participated in a fundraising event to benefit a local hockey player that broke his neck during a game. The Red Wings Alumni team played a group of seniors. We had over 4,000 people at the game and raised over $100,000 for Anthony Mastronardi.

It was a tremendous experience for everyone involved. The hockey community really stepped up. It was emotional then and is again now as I type this. The kid has a battle ahead, but the best attitude you could possibly imagine.

This will pay for items he needs that are over and above what his insurance will pay for such as electric lifts to get him in and out of bed and tub and to better outfit the family's van to accommodate his electric wheel chair.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/d...sets-new-goals

Sergei Samsonov (14), Bryan Smolinski (20) and Ethan (28)

Brent Fedyk, Dino Ciccerelli and Joey Kocur (And Ethan, of course)

Dino held a fundraiser at his restaurant that added another $11k to the coffers for Anthony.

headcase - that's a great shot, how was Iceland as a destination?

Thanks

The trip was pretty amazing, I have some personal issues with how friends organized it, but the country, people, and scenery were all great I'll post some more pictures later. Plus it helps we got a screaming deal (part of the reason the trip happened) on airfare, just under 500$ a person roundtrip from Chicago.

SSDD

Sergei Samsonov (14), Bryan Smolinski (20) and Ethan (28)
two ex-bruins

I watched terry O'Reilly skate circles around some guys one night, He flipped the puck up over the defenseman, jumped up and slid on the boards past him, landed and scored - and he can't skate according to all accounts. I knew the Goalie he made look silly.

Sunrise over the Talkeetnas, from our property near Trapper Creek.
b4c44879939ec7fa99c5823aaa6fcdec.jpg

Back