Babalu

This is what Babalu is going to do to that EEE:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_RKPGS2vwM?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8_RKPGS2vwM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Shit, this is what I get for going straight to the football forum everyday.

Get better babs!

That's good news, especially since from earlier updates it sounds like the swelling was less than they'd feared.

We knew that the damage was lurking, the big thing was to get out of real danger. Now we pray for the best in terms of avoiding lasting damage.

1 big obstacle down, and one to go. Fight on, Babs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sad that EEE was confirmed, but glad he's made it through the worst part. That babs must be one helluva fighter! I'm praying there's no damage done, and he'll soon be back here, detailing his ordeal with us! Frank - Thanks for keeping us posted, and please tell him prayers are coming from all over the country! We pray for you and them, also!

Channel 4 just said it EEE but not Jeff's name
Keep Fighting Jeff

edit
plus this
State Confirms First Human Cases Of West Nile Virus, EEE
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/asseenon5/24788355/detail.html

BOSTON -- The Department of Public Health announced the first cases of West Nile virus and Eastern equine encephalitis in Massachusetts residents on Friday.

The first case is a 46-year-old female from Suffolk County who has been diagnosed with West Nile virus. The patient developed symptoms on Aug. 18 and was hospitalized on Aug. 20. Her condition has since improved and the patient is expected to be discharged soon, the DPH said.

The second case is a 43-year-old man from Plymouth County who has been diagnosed with Eastern equine encephalitis. The patient developed symptoms on Aug. 21 was hospitalized on Aug. 23, and remains hospitalized. His exposure to a mosquito infected with EEE likely occurred in the southeastern section of Massachusetts, which has been identified as an area of elevated risk for mosquito-borne illness, the DPH said.

Aerial spraying has been conducted in Plymouth County.

West Nile virus is also usually spread to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito. There have been 10 human cases of West Nile virus in Massachusetts during the last five years. West Nile virus can infect people of all ages, but people older than 50 are at higher risk for severe disease, the DPH said.

There were no human cases of EEE during 2009; however there were 13 cases with six deaths from 2004 through 2006. EEE is usually spread to humans through the bite of an infected mosquito with symptoms beginning five to seven days later. EEE is a serious disease in all ages and can even cause death, the DPH said.

"Every year, we always hope that there won't be any cases of either of these mosquito-borne illnesses”, said DPH State Epidemiologist Dr. Alfred DeMaria. "But when they occur they serve to remind us of how important it is to take steps to protect ourselves and our families. We always recommend that people use mosquito repellant and cover up when outdoors, no matter where they are."

To reduce the risk of infection, people are advised to removes standing pools of water on their property, use insect repellant and wear long sleeves and pants in the evening.

Plymouth County: Man diagnosed with EEE
http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Plymouth-County-Man-diagnosed-with-EEE-4114
The first human case of Eastern Equine Encephalitis in Massachusetts this year has been confirmed in Plymouth County.

The Department of Public Health has confirmed that a 43-year-old man from Plymouth County has been diagnosed with EEE. The man developed symptoms on August 21 and was hospitalized on August 23, and remains hospitalized. Officials believe he was exposed to a mosquito carrying the disease in the Southeastern section of the state.

A Rhode Island man was diagnosed with EEE earlier this month, and is believed to have contracted the disease while golfing in Southeastern Massachusetts.

Officials have also confirmed the state's first case this summer of West Nile Virus in a 43-year-old woman from Norfolk County, who is expected to be released from the hospital soon.
No human cases of EEE were reported last year. One case was reported in 2008. Between 2004 to 2006 there have been 13 cases of triple E, resulting in six deaths- including a 5-year-old girl from Halifax in 2005.

Officials said aerial spraying from Aug. 5 to 7 had reduced the mosquito population by 80 percent and the number of mammal-biting mosquitoes by 90 percent. Mammal-biting mosquitoes pose the greatest risk to humans.

I dunno, I am just grasping at straws here and looking for positives. EEE is bad stuff and Frank said there was obvious concern about neuro damage.. but it sounds from Franks posts like the brain swelling was not as bad as it was feared so maybe this bodes well for Babalu. Less swelling equals less chance of severe damage. Like I said, grasping at straws......
I certainly hope so. He and his family are in my thoughts.

I dunno, I am just grasping at straws here and looking for positives. EEE is bad stuff and Frank said there was obvious concern about neuro damage.. but it sounds from Franks posts like the brain swelling was not as bad as it was feared so maybe this bodes well for Babalu. Less swelling equals less chance of severe damage. Like I said, grasping at straws......
I certainly hope so. He and his family are in my thoughts.

BEER consumption may have helped also with keeping the blood thin

I've noticed that the Planet has broken news before the main news outlets on a number of occasions.

I sincerely wish this had not been one of them. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Babs is going to get out of bed when this thing's all over and his biggest gripe is going to be that he got porked out of the last couple weeks of summer.

Wow, this is really the first time that I have read this thread and all I can say is that I am at a loss for words. Something like this really puts things into perspective. Babs seems to be fighting this pretty well and the docs say the worst id over, so that's good news.

Positive vibes to Jeff, his family, friends and caregivers. Many prayers to you. I once read a study about prayer by many people and how it is more effective that way. So keep the good stuff going.

May God give you and your family strength and courage.

Makes me realize not to take anything for granted.
Posted via Mobile Device

Heavenly Father, thank You and all praise to You for the care Jeff/Geoff/Babs has received and for the diagnosis narrowing down the treatments which may be weakening his system. Please continue to aid Babs and his caregivers to fight off this virus, cast the Eastern Equine Encephalitis demon from Babs' body, reduce the swelling of his brain, return him to his family and friends in full health. Continue to guide his caregivers, family, and friends to the comfort of Your love which is Christ Jesus; in His Name I pray. Amen.

Here I sit a mile from babs house covered in bug spray, lord I am asking you to lend your glorious hand to Jeff and take from him all the sickness

This is screwy, I made the kids stay in tonight but that isn't the right thing to do either, this sucks man I can not fathom what his family is going through

Shit, eee. That sucks. Talk about bad f'n luck. He has a better chance of winning powerball that getting eee. C'mon Babs! Let's laugh about this soon together! Beat this shit...
Posted via Mobile Device

For those looking to hoist a few for Babalu, here are some Babalu approved selections:

Good Beer, in all its forms
Jim Beam (Black or White Label)
Gin and Tonic
Vodka and Tonic.

--- To Babalu :toast:
Since I'm the Queen of Gin & Tonic, I can completely hoist quite a few for Babalu. :party:

I even have a fridge magnet about G&T:

I'M ON A GIN AND TONIC DIET - SO FAR I'VE LOST 3 DAYS

This story is now getting big TV coverage. Health officials are concerned that the next week will very high risk. We've just had four days of rain which will be followed by days of hot weather. Officials are expecting the mosquito numbers to explode.

The news for Babs is encouraging, but he still has a very long way to go. It appears that he's already beaten the first set of odds which is a 30-50% mortality rate (depending on who you read). But many survivors have long term damage. So he'll continue to need all the positive energy and prayers.

We'll continue to hope for encouraging news from Frank.

Just wanted to pop in and add my Get Well wishes to the thread.

If anyone sees Babs, you tell him to save his strength, and i will hate Adrian Beltre for him until he is healthy.

88 wins, brutha, 88 wins.

Keep fighting, babs! And those of you in the vicinity of this nasty thing, PLEASE take EVERY precaution! Sounds like your forecast is going to provide a perfect breeding ground for these mofo's... :( BE SAFE AND BE WELL! Praying for ALL of you!

Update: 8/27/2010

The EEE test came back positive. They haven't done a CT scan today, so no report on his brain swelling. His temperature remains normal. The doctors did comment that he's over the more dangerous stage, meaning that the infection is unlikely to kill him at this point. What remains to be seen is what damage, if any, the infection has caused to his brain. Keep the prayers and positive thoughts coming his way.

prayers for him and his family

Back