BB Doesn't Have To Tank. He's Doing This Instead...

Last edited:
Cap Space = $21,918,141@patscap
(1/3) My thoughts on BB's comments in his Sirius/XM interview They make sense. The Patriots were always among the league leaders in dead money all offseason. A good number of Patriots had their cap numbers increased from 2019 to 2020.
(2/3) Some of the opt-outs (Chung, Hightower, Bolden, Lacosse) were replaced on the roster with less talented players. They were planning to build around the OLine this year which is why they were comfortable with having Thuney play on his tag.
(3/3) As the team tries to get younger I understand their reluctance to create cap space by converting the salary of an older player to a signing bonus. (Chung being the notable exception). They won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years. I am good with 2020 being a rebuilding year.

Cap Space = $21,918,141@patscap
(1/3) My thoughts on BB's comments in his Sirius/XM interview They make sense. The Patriots were always among the league leaders in dead money all offseason. A good number of Patriots had their cap numbers increased from 2019 to 2020.
(2/3) Some of the opt-outs (Chung, Hightower, Bolden, Lacosse) were replaced on the roster with less talented players. They were planning to build around the OLine this year which is why they were comfortable with having Thuney play on his tag.
(3/3) As the team tries to get younger I understand their reluctance to create cap space by converting the salary of an older player to a signing bonus. (Chung being the notable exception). They won 3 Super Bowls in 5 years. I am good with 2020 being a rebuilding year.
I think we have to reset expectations from thinking the Pats will have everything straightened out in one year. This is not a rebuild. This is a complete overhaul. We don't have any QBs on the current roster worth keeping, we don't have any WRs, TEs, LBs and our defensive front is awful. We will trade our best DB this off-season. And lastly, we don't have a kicker. We also have aging vets on big contracts - Hightower, McCourty. Not sure what we do with Chung but he is probably gone. Bottom line - all of our issues do not get solved in one offseason especially with Bill's draft record.

I think we have to reset expectations from thinking the Pats will have everything straightened out in one year. This is not a rebuild. This is a complete overhaul. We don't have any QBs on the current roster worth keeping, we don't have any WRs, TEs, LBs and our defensive front is awful. We will trade our best DB this off-season. And lastly, we don't have a kicker. We also have aging vets on big contracts - Hightower, Chung, McCourty. That will need to be addressed. Bottom line - all of our issues do not get solved in one offseason especially with Bill's draft record.
I think for a lot of teams, I would agree, but not for BB.

Look at the difference between the 5-11 2000 team, what he did in the offseason, and winning the Superbowl in 01. I don't think he needs the years that many other teams do.

I think for a lot of teams, I would agree, but not for BB.

Look at the difference between the 5-11 2000 team, what he did in the offseason, and winning the Superbowl in 01. I don't think he needs the years that many other teams do.
Maybe but that was 20 years ago and he had the GOAT QB fall in his lap in 2001 after starting 0-2. And that is the key really. Finding the QB. But I do agree if anyone can do it, it is Bill but his drafts the last several years are concerning.

Maybe but that was 20 years ago and he had the GOAT QB fall in his lap in 2001 after starting 0-2. And that is the key really. Finding the QB. But I do agree if anyone can do it, it is Bill but his drafts the last several years are concerning.
Brady was not the GOAT then. He was fairly pedestrian. He was more of a reliable game manager (the final drive of the Superbowl excluded, that was defining).

Brady was not the GOAT then. He was fairly pedestrian. He was more of a reliable game manager (the final drive of the Superbowl excluded, that was defining).
I was just thinking back to 2000-2001 and Bill built that team through a ton of cheap priced FAs. If you recall, we had the core there in Law, Milloy, Bruschi, Brown, Adam. Then he added Brady who changed the complexion of the team with his leadership and clutch play. We really don't have that solid core anymore which is why I am saying it will be a much longer rebuild. The only way we fix this is through the draft and it will take mulitple drafts.

Hightower may be gone next year if he doesn't restructure his contract.

Well of course, nobody is in their first year starting, but I think people could see a difference that was there with him that gave you confidence that he was going to be good, maybe not as good as he turned out, but there
was something there.

I would imagine he will ask to be released and sign with a competitive team like Brady did.

I know that BB might be tempted to beat his former team, but, he can lose this. You can do it BB! This is a must lose game! :coffee:

Animated GIF

The Cap is going to be reduced next year and some are saying that as a result, a ton of vets will be given a box lunch and a goodbye kiss, so it's going to be an interesting equation this offseason. Hightower wouldn't surprise me.

I've given up hope of getting a ring, but I have not given up on this team playing some good football down the backstretch.

That's all I want out of this fucked-up year. I want folks to stop laughing at how "bad" we are and find a few guys that want to be here. People that want to fight for another ring and if they don't then best of luck.

The Cap is going to be reduced next year and some are saying that as a result, a ton of vets will be given a box lunch and a goodbye kiss, so it's going to be an interesting equation this offseason. Hightower wouldn't surprise me.
I think BB is carrying cap space over to next year, to be able to keep the players coming back, like Hightower. He does well with his cap management, but I wish he could draft WRs.

I think BB is carrying cap space over to next year, to be able to keep the players coming back, like Hightower. He does well with his cap management, but I wish he could draft WRs.
I kind of hope he moves on from Hightower, McCourty and Chung. It is time to start over and no use carrying aging vets at high price tags. It will stink in the short term but it is the way to go. I also think those players won't want to stay here for a rebuild but go to another team to get another ring.

I kind of hope he moves on from Hightower, McCourty and Chung. It is time to start over and no use carrying aging vets at high price tags. It will stink in the short term but it is the way to go. I also think those players won't want to stay here for a rebuild but go to another team to get another ring.
HT isn't terrible, but, he tends to get injured a lot. Chung is toast. DMC is sometimes really good and sometimes really bad. I mostly agree.

I think realistically, we beat the Jets again hopefully, can beat Houston I think and maybe the Chargers. That would get us to 6 wins. That puts us right in the middle of the pack for drafting. If we go 7-9 then we might be north of pick 15. Ugh.

Back