Best WR of all time

Darth Despot

We ass
Reaction score
Website
tokevinwithlove.wordpress.com
Skipping the poll because there are too many valid answers.

So Moss and Rice are arguing about who is best. When I look at the stats I pretty much see Rice as having better numbers because he played 21 years and Moss played 14. On a per season basis they are remarkably similar, except for touchdowns which Mass leads comfortably. Factoring in that for the bulk of Rice's career he had either Joe Montana or Steve Young throwing him the ball, I think Moss as a point, at least in relation to Rice.

Now for my money, If I was drafting an all time receiver I'd probably go with either Megatron or Fitzgerald, but what do you all think?

Good question. I'll go with Rice-there's nothing wrong with longevity. And Montana was pretty good before he had Rice; Montana earned two championships before he had Rice. The others were also great, but Rice didn't have as much 'jerk' factor as Owens or Moss.

Rice. The deciding factor to me is that Jerry could run all day long.

Moss needed time to catch his breath. All of them needed a break or jogged the occasional play (especially Randy), but not Jerry. The guy made himself into a cardio machine by running up sand hills all offseason. He owned the 4th quarter.

For those that didn't know, San Francisco drafted him 16th in the 1985 draft with a pick that we gave them for two later picks that we pissed away on Trevor Matich and Ben Thomas. I've often wondered what Rice would've become if we took him and he never got to play for Bill Walsh and with Joe Montana. Would he still have been an all-timer?

Such are the random vagaries of fortune and fate.

I think this is like the Rodgers/Manning to Brady comparison (I hope this does not set off some type of bat signal). Moss was the most gifted WR possibly of all time, but didn't have that killer mentality that Rice had. Rice had more or less average speed, but he was just a demon when it mattered. So in terms of overall picture I see Rice as the GOAT and Randy is distant second given that he seemed to have attitude problems most of his career while breaking records in between.

Rice. The deciding factor to me is that Jerry could run all day long.

Moss needed time to catch his breath. All of them needed a break or jogged the occasional play (especially Randy), but not Jerry. The guy made himself into a cardio machine by running up sand hills all offseason. He owned the 4th quarter.

For those that didn't know, San Francisco drafted him 16th in the 1985 draft with a pick that we gave them for two later picks that we pissed away on Trevor Matich and Ben Thomas. I've often wondered what Rice would've become if we took him and he never got to play for Bill Walsh and with Joe Montana. Would he still have been an all-timer?

Such are the random vagaries of fortune and fate.
Yeah, the Pats didn't have the qb's, from 1985 on, to get the ball to Rice, as much as Montana and Young. Older Grogan, Eason, Flutie, etc...nowhere near as good as Montana, at that time. And Rice-he did keep it going, after leaving the 49's. He had that stamina and longevity!

Rice. He worked at his craft to make himself into a great WR the same way Brady worked to make himself better.
Moss had more natural talent and speed but he didn't begin working at it until he was 8-10 years in the league.

So I'd say Rice but I wouldn't kick either off my team in their prime.

You know, he may not be the best ever, but the perfect wr to me IS Fitz. so glad he was mentioned. Great hands, tough as hell, never bitches, has filled different roles, rarely had a great qb, yet always productive never had a great hc(too early to say for Kliff), was often the only great player on his offense, appreciates the history of the game, appreciates greatness in others, a great mentor, and is a truly good human.

Yeah, Rice for me, he was just a relentless machine. Randy probably had more talent. His high school coach said there had never been an athlete like that anywhere in HS apart from Deion Sanders.

If you asked me what WR I would have loved to have at the Patriots apart from those two and a slightly left-field choice, I'd say Anquan Boldin. Brady would have loved having a bad ass receiver like that in his prime.

This is the same master debater as Brady vs (fill in the blank).

Brady is like Rice.

Most talented is possibly Moss.

One of the issues with this comparison is the players and coaches around each player. What would Moss's career had been like had he had a Brady his whole career?

It's Rice & everyone else. He just dominated in almost every statically stat. Moss was a amazing WR his best years were with Viking & Patriots. No one was better at deep ball.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201220-113802.png
    Screenshot_20201220-113802.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
One of the issues with this comparison is the players and coaches around each player. What would Moss's career had been like had he had a Brady his whole career?
You know, if Moss was with Brady for 13-14 years, he may have had (even more) awesome numbers. But, he couldn't have lasted more than 5 years with Belichick. So, I wouldn't worry about it....

Shouldn't we have two categories of WRs - the stickum users and the non-users?

Then Rice and Moss can each be the best in their own category.

:beer:
Should be same for steroid users for all sports.

How would folks here rate Lynn Swan and John Stallworth, the Steeler duo back in the day? And how about Andre Reed?

None of those guys would be the greatest ever, but up there in conversations about top 15/20?

I actually don't think this is all that debatable. I think Rice stands alone at the top of this debate and it's up for grabs who is #2 among Moss, Owens, Harrison, et al.

Randy Moss was arguably the most electric. But he was done at 25. Rice had 238 catches, over 3,200 yards, 18 TD's in his age 39, 40 and 41 year-old seasons.

His age 40 season: 92 REC, 1,211 yards, 7 REC TD's (plus 1 rushing TD)

Back