Bolt falls from Colts' retractable roof, injures three fans

mikiemo83

The Future
Reaction score
the dome is deflating

Three fans suffered non-life-threatening injuries after a bolt fell from the retractable roof at Lucas Oil Stadium during Thursday's preseason game between the Colts and Bengals in Indianapolis.

The bolt fell into Section 248 mere minutes before halftime, according to the Indianapolis Star, broken off during the roof-opening mechanism. Fans told the Indy Star that they heard a large pop before a bolt "the size of a half-roll of quarters" struck a wall, then fans. A woman was led away in a wheelchair as medical personnel attended to a head wound.

more

The NFL has fined the New England Patriots for this mishap.

How do three people get hurt by a single bolt falling from the sky?

It must have ricocheted off the first lunk-head into the second and then on to the third.

Jim Garrison would call this the "Magic Bolt" theory.

Too bad that penny falling from a skyscraper theory didn't hold water and it managed to go thru the owners box.

Being serious though, I wonder how often it is inspected? Roller coasters get walked from start to finish every day for loose boards/bolts. I would hope that the roof would have been inspected fairly often since a bolt falling from it could be deadly.

Being serious though, I wonder how often it is inspected? Roller coasters get walked from start to finish every day for loose boards/bolts. I would hope that the roof would have been inspected fairly often since a bolt falling from it could be deadly.

Paying for inspections means less money for pills.

That stadium's not that old, either. What else did Irsay cheap out on behind the scenes, when he was putting pretty windows in the front of it - so people would buy the ridiculous amount of money he was soaking the taxpayers for?

Jim Irsay or the Colts don't own the stadium, it is owned by the city or a commission of some sorts. The Colts just pay a leasing fee. Which sadly, the city or whatever commission owns it is also still paying for the old long gone RCA dome.

EDIT: According to the wikipedia page for it, the Indiana Stadium and Convention Building Authority owns it (the state) and Capital Improvement Board of Managers of Marion County, Indiana operates it.

How do three people get hurt by a single bolt falling from the sky?

It must have ricocheted off the first lunk-head into the second and then on to the third.

Jim Garrison would call this the "Magic Bolt" theory.
I was asking myself the same thing. On bolt half the size of a roll of quarters. Three injured. I mean who was sitting there anyways part of there defense of line ?
Posted via Mobile Device

So it's safer to go on a rollercoaster than to a Colts game, I guess.

:coffee:

So it's safer to go on a rollercoaster than to a Colts game, I guess.

:coffee:

At least if the roof is opening during a game....

Speaking of loose bolt, pretty sure everyone has seen this.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TneTkj7pChw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back