Boston sports thoughts and a personal note

DarrylStingley

Boston Sports
Reaction score
Some Boston Sports Thoughts:

1. This Randy Moss thing just underscores how much I love the PATRIOTS. I love the team. There is no player who is above that or who remotely threatens that. Hell, Tom Brady is my favorite athlete in sports history and I loved the Pats just as much when Matt Cassell was at the helm. Randy got himself exited somehow and now he's Other. Two weeks ago, I would have worn his jersey to a game.

2. Still haven't decided what to do with that jersey, by the way.

3. It's clear from Wes Welker's comments to me that he is not that broken up to see Randy gone. Take a look. There's nothing in what he said that's remotely warm toward Randy.

4. Randy's public progression -- late for practice in 2009 and sent home, comments in February about being gone after this season and the Pats not being spenders, Kraft's rebuttal, odd behavior at season ticket holder event and bizarro press conference after Cinci opener make it pretty clear that there were some serious off field issues. Add to that the reports about half time and the plane. Add to that the paltry return they got for a first ballot HOFer that the QB has gushed about since the day he got here. Verdict: If you believe that conduct wasn't the primary driver for the trade, I have some swamp land in Jersey to show you.

5. The two best TV shows going right now -- Dexter and Mad Men -- are back to back on Sunday night. And football is on all day. Overload.

6. You know I'm pumped and jacked about the Cs when I'm thinking about going to a Celtics exhibition game on Wednesday night....playing at MSG. I just want to see a little Shaq in person.

7. You just have to love Bruins in the morning. Love it!

8. And I also love that Bergy and Chara have been signed long term.

9. A very connected birdie told me that despite Theo's talk about bridges, the Sox are going to be players this off season. We shall see but I hope he's right.

10. Early returns on Shaq in green are good in my view. I love that when he gets the ball close to the hoop, that he goes right at it. Perk will learn a lot from this guy.

11. Bye weeks blow.

12. Going to be in LA on Sunday, December 19 for the wedding of my best friend's son. Wedding starts at 5 PM. So I'm thinking, "cool, I can watch the Pats at 10 AM or 1 PM given the time difference." All good. The Pats are playing the Sunday night game against the Packers that day. 5:20 PM LA time start. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: Tivo and Slngbox to the rescue but still.....

13. I've now watched the Ken Burns special and 30/30 a few times. Damn, that 2004 story is awesome and damn that team was lovable. I have no problem with what the Sox did in that they won again in 2007, but it really is too bad that they couldn't -- at least from a sentimental view -- have kept those guys together a bit longer. Even from an on field perspective, there are two guys who I really wish they would have kept -- OCab and Lowe. Both are still going strong and both are players they summarily dismissed. Frustrating.

14. Any Sox fan who EVER booed any of Schilling, Ortiz or Foulke ought to be banned from Fenway for life. The whole "let's motivate them" line of logic is incomprehensible to me. Schill and Foulke risked their careers in the way they pitched in those playoffs. Ortiz was a comic book hero. He was beyond heroic.

15. You just have to love Kevin Millar's persona.

16. Damn, I wish Damon came back this year when he had the chance. I'd so love to have him be one of ours again and to excise the whole Yankee thing. He can really hold a grudge.

17. I'd also love to see Deion back. Tom wants him. Good enough for me. And I think he'd rejuvenate somewhat being back in this system.

18. I don't think the Pats offense is going to struggle without Moss. They have a ton of really good pieces and if this means more Gronk and Hernandez face time, that's a really good thing.

19. The problem this team will continue to have is the the Defense.

20. I think that this really might be the Bruins' year. They have a ton of talent. But is Julien equipped to lead them all the way? I have my doubts about him. He's like one of the many coaches -- Doug Collins, Buck Showalter, Marty Schottenheimer -- who might be better at building than finishing.

Personal note:

- After much thought over the past few months and since Friday in particular, I've decided to stop posting here.

- There are a few main reasons.

* One, I have an addictive personality and once I get going, I have a hard time stopping. That takes time away from work and my family. Not good.

* Two, it's really only a matter of time before I get banned again. I have sufficiently gotten under the skin of the moderators that either I'll slip up and go too far (likely!) or they will act opportunistically (possible). Either way, I'll be gone and I wont have the chance to say good bye.

- So I'll go out the best way I can. Hopefully, the first part of this thread will be interesting to people and will sort of be a fitting last effort here.

- Three last things:

* One, this is a GREAT site. There are many awesome posters and people I've truly enjoyed getting to know and reading. And I think the mods have done a nice job of organizing the site with other sports in one area, football in another and the three ring in another. So enjoy what's here and a big salute to you all.

- Two, I know I've pissed off a bunch of people with my sometimes harsh and acerbic tone. I meant no harm and I just get caught up at times. Apologies to those I've offended.

- Three, if you're interested in keeping in touch by e-mail, please shoot me a PM.

- OK one really last thing. Please do not write in the thread that you think I should stay. I suspect that a few of my friends here do think that and I suspect I can guess who they are. But I didn't decide to do this so I could take a measurement of my popularity (or lack thereof!) or create a wave of sentiment (a teeny tiny wave!). I know that the people who immediately react with "attn whore!" will say or think that, regardless of what I write, but that's truly not where I'm going with this. Sometimes, you just have to know when it's time to go.

GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Welker is THE consumate team guy. I honestly believe he doesn't care if he has 1 catch or 20, so long as it's a W. To see a guy in the same WR corps that's me-first surely turns his stomache.

5. DVR

8. YES!

9. Who's out there?

13. Wife and kids are away. Hope to have a few cold ones and watch it tonight on the DVR.:thumb:

17. Initially yes. When I heard his contract is guaranteed no. If he's willing to re-work it with incentives to earn what it's for? Yes again, but only if he buys into team-first. I'm thru with divas.

18. So true.

Sad to see you go bro. You wear your thoughts and emotions on your sleeve. And you post alot of great topics. To your potential return.:toast:

Awesome. We lose another passionate fan who posts legitimate sports thoughts that spurn good discussion. Reconsider.

14. Ortiz,that was super hero stuff. Same goes with the bloody sock in game 6.

I've always enjoyed your personality and reading your posts DS. You will be missed.

Great stuff as usual, DS. I agree with the below quote, assuming that MD doesn't mean what he says and that there's a typo here:
Awesome. We lose another passionate fan who posts legitimate sports thoughts that spurn good discussion. Reconsider.
ROFL
Posted via Mobile Device

All I can say is that if the above post was all DS did around here then he would be one of the best and most popular posters on this site and there would be zero controversy. A killer post.

However, DS has more in common with Randy Moss than he probably thinks. He can go deep, take the top of the defense and grab one-handed TDs when he isn't otherwise busy being miserable to his teammates and biting the hand that feeds him which he has consistently demonstrated throughout his posting career.

Even this exit speech indicates the self-awareness to know that he just can't control his passion/temper/whatever and that is a damn shame in my opinion, but it is what it is. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just back away from the keyboard.

So long, DS. Part of me will miss what you brought to the table and part of me thinks the site will be better off in the long run without you.

All I can say is that if the above post was all DS did around here then he would be one of the best and most popular posters on this site and there would be zero controversy. A killer post.

However, DS has more in common with Randy Moss than he probably thinks. He can go deep, take the top of the defense and grab one-handed TDs when he isn't otherwise busy being miserable to his teammates and biting the hand that feeds him which he has consistently demonstrated throughout his posting career.

Even this exit speech indicates the self-awareness to know that he just can't control his passion/temper/whatever and that is a damn shame in my opinion, but it is what it is. Sometimes the best thing to do is to just back away from the keyboard.

So long, DS. Part of me will miss what you brought to the table and part of me thinks the site will be better off in the long run without you.

Perfectly worded.:thumb:

Seriously DS, you do have good thoughts and can promote a lot of good discussion, but you have serious issues with needing to be heard and hearing others...especially if it is a different opinion from yours. Your behavior sometimes borders on really crazy. Really crazy.

The fact that you realize you cannot conform to normal societal rules I guess is a step in the right direction, but you do have a lot of work to do. I don't think you behave in real life the way you do on here (if you do, I have not a clue how you manage to get through a day without getting your ass kicked) so I have no idea why you struggle so mightily to act like a reasonable person on here.

Beneath all the bullshit, I think you probably could be a decent person, hell you even make me laugh once in a while and I think we both know how I feel about you. Maybe time away and some introspection will lead you back (I get the distinct feeling it will) but if minimal rules that are set in place just so people act a little nicer to each other send you over the edge? Well, you have bigger problems to worry about than posting on teh innernetz.

I know you are reading this, so just for old times sake. Doc sucks, and I was right about Sheed.:toast:

I feel like I'm in the therapists office. :coffee:

DS, by the way, differing opinions and behavior make this a better place. Hope your self imposed exile will not last. I enjoyed hearing what you had to say.

I hate to see anyone leave. :( Hasn't DS done this before? Perhaps it's just a break, and not permanent?

At any rate, even though we've collided at times, I hold no ill will against you, DS.

Be happy, and be well! :toast:

at least stop by once in a while and post your "Boston sports thoughts". really enjoy reading them.

I feel like I'm in the therapists office. :coffee:
"Moooooon Riiiiiiveeeeeeeer"
fletch_1146345835.jpg

I heard that DS told midgar to shave his beard, and midgar said when DS cuts his hair, and they had to be separated by Anni. :coffee:

Dude, if that is what your therapist is doing to you, you might want to start searching for another one. :coffee:
Yet another typo in this thread that critically changes the meaning: he meant to have a space after the "e" in "therapist."

You will be back DS because this place is like crack! Anyways hope your hiatus is a short one...
crack_218.jpg

Back