Brady Banner Coming Down

I'm curious to see what the Krafts are planning for the giveaway at Gillette this week; a Brady bobblehead? Maybe a Brady mask? A #12 placard?

I imagine they've cooked something up.

They'll have to decide one way or the other with Jimmy next summer.

They can let him stay next year on his 4th year of the rookie deal and then franchise him the following season like they did Cassell and trade him or keep him. I think there will be at least half a dozen teams chopping at the bit to get him at season's end though so I would think Bill moves him in the spring if he believes Brissett can be the heir apparent to Tom in a couple of years.

They can let him stay next year on his 4th year of the rookie deal and then franchise him the following season like they did Cassell and trade him or keep him. I think there will be at least half a dozen teams chopping at the bit to get him at season's end though so I would think Bill moves him in the spring if he believes Brissett can be the heir apparent to Tom in a couple of years.

I thought about the franchise thing, but it looks like Jimmy's franchise number would actually be higher than Brady's contract so that would be awkward. Unless someone blows you away with picks, you keep him for next year and decide if he's the future or not.

I thought about the franchise thing, but it looks like Jimmy's franchise number would actually be higher than Brady's contract so that would be awkward. Unless someone blows you away with picks, you keep him for next year and decide if he's the future or not.

Good point about the cost of the franchise tag. What is interesting is if the Pats end up signing Jimmy after next year he will cost more than Brady given the market for young QBs. So I would assume Bill is just fine riding out Brady until his arm falls off and then have the next QB Brissett or whoever on the rookie deal. One thing is for sure, post-Brady the Pats will never get elite QB play on the cheap again.

Good point about the cost of the franchise tag. What is interesting is if the Pats end up signing Jimmy after next year he will cost more than Brady given the market for young QBs. So I would assume Bill is just fine riding out Brady until his arm falls off and then have the next QB Brissett or whoever on the rookie deal. One thing is for sure, post-Brady the Pats will never get elite QB play on the cheap again.

Pats have a great opportunity to extend this dynasty. Jimmy will never be as good as Brady, but I think he's a guy who can win a Super Bowl with the right guys (and Belichick) around him. I'm sure BB would very much like to win one without Brady to eliminate the thought that he is only riding Brady's coat tails to Lombardis, too.

Wasn't Cassel's FT after 08 higher than what TB was slated to make in 09?

Pats have a great opportunity to extend this dynasty. Jimmy will never be as good as Brady, but I think he's a guy who can win a Super Bowl with the right guys (and Belichick) around him. I'm sure BB would very much like to win one without Brady to eliminate the thought that he is only riding Brady's coat tails to Lombardis, too.

I imagine BB does not give two shits about winning without brady. I'm sure he wants to win with whoever, but this notion of trying to belittle brady and make it about him is a bit much. If BB was so he'll bent on winning minus brady, brady would have been gone by now. BB is a coach, Brady is a player, nobody is riding coat tails. Coaches want the best players possible.

I imagine BB does not give two shits about winning without brady. I'm sure he wants to win with whoever, but this notion of trying to belittle brady and make it about him is a bit much. If BB was so he'll bent on winning minus brady, brady would have been gone by now.

I'm pretty sure BB doesn't want to retire any time soon and has more shelf life post Brady, so of course he wants to win one without Brady. No one (even the most sensitive Bradyophiles) can deny this.

ps- How is Belichick wanting to win without him belittling Brady? Then again, people are sensitive by even mentioning Brady won't be here someday so I'm not surprised.

I'm pretty sure BB doesn't want to retire any time soon and has more shelf life post Brady, so of course he wants to win one without Brady. No one (even the most sensitive Bradyophiles) can deny this.

ps- How is Belichick wanting to win without him belittling Brady? Then again, people are sensitive by even mentioning Brady won't be here someday so I'm not surprised.

Coaches want to win with who they have, they try to get the best players for their team, I cannot imagine there is some agenda that BB thinks he has to win without Brady or its meaningless. Its not sensitivity, coaches do not always think like fans and media do. So I doubt BB is staying up and night saying, My god that damn Brady, I need to win without him or it all means nothing! Maybe belittling was the wrong word, but you are basically saying BB wants to prove its him and nothing else, and even BB would say thats not true. All coaches no matter what need the right players.

A few points on all of this:

1. There is no game tape on JG. The more he plays, the better prepared defenses will be. Hopefully his growth stays ahead of the defensive learning curve.
2. Getting Gronk and the Oline back will help.
3. Getting Bennett and Derby more involved will help.
4. Be prepared for BB to say something before the Brown's game to the effect of, "We'll evaluate the QBs and make the decision that is best for the team" to force the Browns to prepare for both QBs even if he knows full well who will be starting. Granted, its the Browns, but BB will take what gamesmanship he can get.
5. JG's passer rating was 106 in his first start whereas Brady's was 79. Hopefully this wasn't an anomaly, but more an indication of JG's familiarity in the system.
6. If JG ends up 4-0, beating AZ on the road, two division opponents and 3 in the conference then shit's gonna get real.
7. First world problems are nice.

1. There is no game tape on JG. The more he plays, the better prepared defenses will be. Hopefully his growth stays ahead of the defensive learning curve.
2. Getting Gronk and the Oline back will help.
3. Getting Bennett and Derby more involved will help.
4. Be prepared for BB to say something before the Brown's game to the effect of, "We'll evaluate the QBs and make the decision that is best for the team" to force the Browns to prepare for both QBs even if he knows full well who will be starting. Granted, its the Browns, but BB will take what gamesmanship he can get.
5. JG's passer rating was 106 in his first start whereas Brady's was 79. Hopefully this wasn't an anomaly, but more an indication of JG's familiarity in the system.
6. If JG ends up 4-0, beating AZ on the road, two division opponents and 3 in the conference then shit's gonna get real.
7. First world problems are nice.

BB already announced brady when he comes back and he is not fueling that to be asked about it 50 times. Qb rating comparisons are meaningless now compared to 16 years ago. There is no controversy, brady comes back week 5 he is starting. This is a sb contender, BB is not risking that.

Coaches want to win with who they have, they try to get the best players for their team, I cannot imagine there is some agenda that BB thinks he has to win without Brady or its meaningless. Its not sensitivity, coaches do not always think like fans and media do. So I doubt BB is staying up and night saying, My god that damn Brady, I need to win without him or it all means nothing! Maybe belittling was the wrong word, but you are basically saying BB wants to prove its him and nothing else, and even BB would say thats not true. All coaches no matter what need the right players.

No, but he's not up at night saying, crap, Brady is going to retire in two years so I am going to have to quit, too. He's going to want to win without Brady just like he wants to win with Brady. I think winning a Bowl without him makes his legacy that much better because the media/fans can't claim he only won because of 12.

BB already announced brady when he comes back and he is not fueling that to be asked about it 50 times. Qb rating comparisons are meaningless now compared to 16 years ago. There is no controversy, brady comes back week 5 he is starting. This is a sb contender, BB is not risking that.

We'll see. What BB says before the 1st game and what he says sitting at 4-0 may be different. If the Pats are 4-0 it will be interesting, for sure.

Drew likes this thought process but thinks it may be flawed.

Tom admits to no relationship with Bill outside of the stadium, Bill has no ties to Tom past player /Coach, that makes cutting/trading Tom a possibility IF Bill thinks it will help the TEAM.

True, but if it is true that Josh is basically going with the full playbook then everybody knows what we run by now. The problem comes in stopping that, but there may be issues that appear. We'll see.

It sure will, but it would get even more real if Brady struggles after a month off with no contact with the team or practice. Which is something that is not beyond possibility.

It's a very interesting hypothetical. I'm on to Miami, but even as an early JG10 supporter I'm surprised at his Q rating (as opposed to QB rating) after one solid game.

Anyhow, all of this speculating is predicated on Jimmy doing great, so let's just see how that goes before we get into any premature QB controversy stuff, not that I'm blaming you for any of that.

It's Brady's team. Period.

True, but if it is true that Josh is basically going with the full playbook then everybody knows what we run by now. The problem comes in stopping that, but there may be issues that appear. We'll see.

It sure will, but it would get even more real if Brady struggles after a month off with no contact with the team or practice. Which is something that is not beyond possibility.

It's a very interesting hypothetical. I'm on to Miami, but even as an early JG10 supporter I'm surprised at his Q rating (as opposed to QB rating) after one solid game.

Anyhow, all of this speculating is predicated on Jimmy doing great, so let's just see how that goes before we get into any premature QB controversy stuff, not that I'm blaming you for any of that.

It's Brady's team. Period.
that is boring and will not create chaos, this team is up for grabs and Jimmy G has a grip on it, we need to see if he can hold on...

some feel this move should have been made in 2014 after the Kansas City game. :coffee:

I don't think any reasonable person thinks they should dump Brady today and give the keys to JFG after one game. What this does, though, is give a possible glimpse into the future and the concept that the Pats days post Brady won't be dark and continued excellence is possible.

I think they need to try and keep Jimmy, but it will be tough. Realistically, Josh leaves at the end of the year and whichever team he ends up will trade for Jimmy next summer or before the draft and the Pats grab draft bounty.

Back