Brady to Play Tomorrow

Dafalcs34

Reaction score
Tom Brady will play in the New England Patriots' preseason game Friday night against the Carolina Panthers, according to a report by CSNNE.com.

Brady is making the trip to Carolina with the team, according to ESPN and multiple reports. It is unknown whether Brady or Jimmy Garoppolo will start at quarterback, or how many series either will play, according to the CSNNE.com report.

Will Brady's playing time hurt Garoppolo's progression?

'No positives' in Bosa contract dispute

Day tied for 7th place after first round of Barclays

Fitzgerald confident Siemian can succeed with Broncos
sc
Garoppolo started the first two preseason games for the Pats, playing the entire first half against the Saints on Aug. 11 and through the first series of the third quarter against the Bears on Aug. 18.

In all, he has played 84 snaps, and rookie Jacoby Brissett has played 54.

Brady has yet to play in the preseason. Since he became the starter in the 2001 season, there has been just one preseason in which he hasn't played a game, in 2008.

Brady will serve a four-game suspension to begin the regular season as the team turns to Garoppolo as its starter. This will mark the first season since 2001 that a quarterback other than Brady starts the regular-season opener for the Patriots.

Earlier this week, Brady talked about why live game action in the preseason is so crucial for his development.

"You're getting hit, so just the space awareness, guys around you, and ball security and things like that," he said. "For the last 30 practices quarterbacks aren't touched. [In a game] just standing there in the pocket, holding the ball knowing that they're coming to get the ball and knock it out of your hands, hitting the ground, those types of things and so forth are important.

"You just have to feel things out and the game is really the only place to get it because it's regular speed. You don't know what's coming."

Asked if he truly needed game reps, Brady said, "I don't think any of them hurt, so I think just do the best you can do. We're preparing a lot of guys to get ready to play. I fit into that, but so do a lot of other guys. I'm just taking the advice of Coach [Bill Belichick], and whatever he wants to do, I'm going to do everything I can to be ready to go when I am called upon. That's what my responsibility is so that's what I'm preparing to do."

Brady also touched on another reason he wants to play; at 39 years old, he's closer to the end of his career than the start.

"I'm getting so many opportunities left in my life, so I'd like to take advantage of any opportunity, any and all of them if possible," he said. "When you see your teammates out there in their uniforms and ready to go, you want to be out there with them."

So......exactly how did CSNNE determine that Brady WILL play?

A more accurate headline would have stated that Brady might play.

Reading between the lines of what Belichick said on the matter, I would say that he was typically non-committal, but the words he chose would be consistent with his desire to get Jimmy the reps he still needs and yet let Tom down easy.

Still, the fact that Brady made the trip would tend to make one think that you wouldn't do that to let a guy with his level of clout hold a clipboard.

I don't know either way, but Bill is the one coach in the world that would have the iron testicles it would take to do that and let Brady seethe if he thought it was the best thing for the team.

I don't think Brady will start. You have to have Jimmy start and get the feel for being the starter. I do want to see Brady play some. I hope he gets the chance and that ALL scissors have been removed from the locker room.

I don't think Brady will start. You have to have Jimmy start and get the feel for being the starter. I do want to see Brady play some. I hope he gets the chance and that ALL scissors have been removed from the locker room.

I can't imagine that. No way.

If Brady plays then he has to start. I realize the Pats are all about the team and everybody has to submit for the greater good, but that is going a little too far even for the Pats.

God......if that is really how it plays out then the media will go beserk.

Yeah, I know Bill can be tone-deaf at times about human emotions (even Spock would know better!) but he usually does what's best, so if he he starts Jimmy and then Tom plays, I'll be surprised.

Brady is a 17 year veteran.

Getting timing down isn't an issue because he's going on a 4 week hiatus.

I don't think he "needs" to play, so I don't expect him to play.

Of course I am never right about what Bill will do, so I am sure he'll start.

I can't imagine that. No way.

If Brady plays then he has to start. I realize the Pats are all about the team and everybody has to submit for the greater good, but that is going a little too far even for the Pats.

God......if that is really how it plays out then the media will go beserk.

Why does he have to start? That would be counter-productive to getting Jimmy ready for week 1. Brady is gone in literally 9 days. It will be all Jimmy come next Monday. They have to start him to get him ready to roll vs Cards. Brady will be FINE. The media is always a circus no matter what the Pats do. This will all be a distant memory come week 5 anyways. Let's hope we are 4-0 at that point. :thumb:

Why does he have to start? That would be counter-productive to getting Jimmy ready for week 1. Brady is gone in literally 9 days. It will be all Jimmy come next Monday. They have to start him to get him ready to roll vs Cards. Brady will be FINE. The media is always a circus no matter what the Pats do. This will all be a distant memory come week 5 anyways. Let's hope we are 4-0 at that point. :thumb:

this^^^

Yes they have to get JG ready, but...

Do you remember when Rex Ryan trotted out Mark Sanchez in his last season as a Jet, late in a preseason game, and got him injured playing behind the 2nd and 3rd string linemen?

That's why Brady can't do anything but start this game. If he plays at all. I'm still not convinced that he will.

But if he does play, make no mistake, he'll start, and he'll play behind the top O-line combo at this point. Maybe only a series or two at most. If Belichick got him hurt because he puts him in later and some practice squad lineman misses an assignment... oh boy...

A more accurate headline would have stated that Brady might play.

What? You don't think they had an interview with BB, and he told them who would be playing?

Probably next, you'll be telling me that you don't believe Pamela Anderson's pecs are 100% all natural.

:coffee:

I hope Brady doesn't play. This is JG's team for the time being and he should get starter reps. Give JG quarters 1-3 and Brissett the 4th.

What? You don't think they had an interview with BB, and he told them who would be playing?

Probably next, you'll be telling me that you don't believe Pamela Anderson's pecs are 100% all natural.

:coffee:

Tom and Bill are a fairly ok pair. Bill shits on him and he takes it smiling, plus he promotes the team very well. Except even if they leaked to him, Bill would use him as a deception in a heartbeat. If it suited his needs. Tommy wouldn't mind. I think he'd be honored. :spock:

Cheers

Tom lives to play. He might enjoy workouts and practices, but he wants to be in the game. He hasn't played since getting beat to a pulp in the AFC Championship Game. Belichick will let him play at least a couple of sets if for no other reason than emotional support.

Because everyone in the media knows that Tom Brady might play is boring, and a QB controversy is much more interesting.

Brady wants to play, therefore there is a rift.

Even better, if Brady doesn't play, no one is going to say, "Whoops, I guess we were wrong."

No, if Brady doesn't play, the media now has to ask hard questions:

Why did BB change his mind and sit Brady?
Did BB get sick of Brady's whining?
Is BB considering making a change from Brady to Garop in the regular season?
Did Garop pout until he got his way?
How will this affect the BB-Brady relationship going forward?
Will Brady insist on playing next week and whine until BB agrees?
Will BB punish Brady by making him play next week?

He's apparently not starting and will come in after Jimmy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I wonder if Brady sees action vs the Giants. I hope so. I love seeing him out there.

With the rash of injuries going on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Back