Brees *

dropKickMurphy

Reaction score
When Drew Brees sets the new mark for passing yardage, should there be an asterisk next to his name in the record book?

11..count 'em...ELEVEN regular season games played in domes this year. And of the 5 games he had to play outdoors, 4 of them were in Carolina, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jax.

IMO, passing stats for dome QBs do not carry the weight of stats by QBs who play the bulk of their games outdoors in northern cities.

Going through an entire season without playing a single game in cold weather, the Saints could be at a huge disadvantage if they have to go into Green Bay in January.

Meant to post this in the FB forum.

On the slim possibility that any of the mods don't have me on ignore, could I get this thread moved?

* on the entire NFL season. Roger Goodell has pussified the game with all the rules that favor the passing game. Passing stats,either from rookies or vets do not impress me. Not one bit.

Roger Goodell wants so badly to bring the NFL to Europe that he has made the NFL extremly soft to attract all the soft Euro trash to our game.

One way or the other Goodell needs to go. I don't really care how.
He is the worst commissioner in all of sports. That is saying something considering MLB has Bud Selig.

So sure domes suck but Goodell is the reason for 10000000000000 passing yards & football players not being allowed to play football.

When 3 guys, albeit great players, are on pace to break a record that has stood since what, 84? ..that says more about the rules than the record.
All the other great QBs who played in Marino's era never did it....his is always the real record in my book.

Also, pass yards are somewhat of a meh record anyway.

It's a BS record anyways, they can't compare teams that play 80+% games in domes and in great weather down south to the guys that QB their teams in outdoor cold and snowy environments like Rogers and Brady

It's a BS record anyways, they can't compare teams that play 80+% games in domes and in great weather down south to the guys that QB their teams in outdoor cold and snowy environments like Rogers and Brady

It a BS record because you can't compare whatever this game is they are playing today to the game of football when Marino played.

It a BS record because you can't compare whatever this game is they are playing today to the game of football when Marino played.

Agreed

and I just did a comparison on the average cold outdoor games that could have been played this season in a normal year but with this years schedules
Brees had only 2 that could have been cold
Rogers had 5
Brady had 8

IIRC, passing yardage leaders haven't won a SB in well over a decade, perhaps even ever, but my recollection might be off on the latter.

MVPs also haven't won a SB since pre-2000.

Thank goodness for Brees and Rodgers!

Yeah, the Saints are a scary ass dome team, but they're a complete different team outdoors. If the Pats made it to the SB I wouldn't wanna face the Saints, though.

You could have made a similar argument about Marino's record back in '84.

In '78, they instituted the 5 yard chuck rule. Prior to that DB's could, and did, hammer a receiver all over the field.

They also went to a 16 game schedule in '78.

It took a few years for OC'ss, QB's and WR's to take advantage of it, but I think one can say with certainty that Marino never would have had that record without those rule changes.

If you look at the top 250 records for the single season passing, not a single one is from before 1978.

Does that mean you can't compare the game of football QB's have played since 1978 to what was played before?

The game changes. It isn't just the rules. Players have structured off season workouts and are far "better" in any physical category you care to mention.

It isn't just domes, it's the playing surface. How many grass fields are there any more? Players can count on a constant surface to play on in a lot more venues.

When Drew Brees sets the new mark for passing yardage, should there be an asterisk next to his name in the record book?

11..count 'em...ELEVEN regular season games played in domes this year. And of the 5 games he had to play outdoors, 4 of them were in Carolina, Tennessee, Tampa Bay and Jax.

IMO, passing stats for dome QBs do not carry the weight of stats by QBs who play the bulk of their games outdoors in northern cities.

Going through an entire season without playing a single game in cold weather, the Saints could be at a huge disadvantage if they have to go into Green Bay in January.

No. No * for Drew. Notoriously, we do badly in cold weather. But, I think adding crap like an * is just was ****ed up as a gazillion rules that we never had before that softens the game.

Can we wait for the Saints to have to play up there before we talk about it?

What if Tommy snags his cashmere undershirt and cries in two weeks?
Posted via Mobile Device

No. No * for Drew. Notoriously, we do badly in cold weather. But, I think adding crap like an * is just was ****ed up as a gazillion rules that we never had before that softens the game.

Posted via Mobile Device

Tommy has won more than his share of Big Games in blizzards, howling gales, and frigid temps.

Not saying that Brees and the Saints are inherently soft. If those guys had to play a bunch of games in tough weather conditions, they'd probably adjust to it.

But they haven't. At least not this year. So they haven't had a chance to acclimate to playing outdoors in the winter. It's going to make it very, very tough to win in Green Bay in January.

If they can do it, my hat's off to them.

Seeing that the Super Bowl will be played in a dome, I'd like the Pats' chances against the Packers better than against the Saints.

Posted via Mobile Device

While I don't want an asterix near Brees's accomplishments your last sentence is ridiculous. I sat in the freezing cold wind and watched Brady TEAR a vaunted Bears defense to shreds last year and it is just one of MANY of those kinds of performances out of him.

No * for Brees.

Watching Dan Marino lose yet another entry in the record books is enough for me to remove any potential *

You could have made a similar argument about Marino's record back in '84.

In '78, they instituted the 5 yard chuck rule. Prior to that DB's could, and did, hammer a receiver all over the field.

They also went to a 16 game schedule in '78.

It took a few years for OC'ss, QB's and WR's to take advantage of it, but I think one can say with certainty that Marino never would have had that record without those rule changes.

If you look at the top 250 records for the single season passing, not a single one is from before 1978.

Does that mean you can't compare the game of football QB's have played since 1978 to what was played before?

The game changes. It isn't just the rules. Players have structured off season workouts and are far "better" in any physical category you care to mention.

It isn't just domes, it's the playing surface. How many grass fields are there any more? Players can count on a constant surface to play on in a lot more venues.

Tommy has won more than his share of Big Games in blizzards, howling gales, and frigid temps.

Not saying that Brees and the Saints are inherently soft. If those guys had to play a bunch of games in tough weather conditions, they'd probably adjust to it.

But they haven't. At least not this year. So they haven't had a chance to acclimate to playing outdoors in the winter. It's going to make it very, very tough to win in Green Bay in January.

If they can do it, my hat's off to them.

Seeing that the Super Bowl will be played in a dome, I'd like the Pats' chances against the Packers better than against the Saints.

I've gotta hand it to these posters. A lot of good thinking here which I happen to agree with. As DropKM said, we've not seen any bad weather at all this year to slow down TB or Rogers. I don't even remember a rainy day not to mention snow! I'm still holding out hope for a snowy home field game or 2 in the playoffs. Yards passing means nothing; efficiency means everything.

While I don't want an asterix near Brees's accomplishments your last sentence is ridiculous. I sat in the freezing cold wind and watched Brady TEAR a vaunted Bears defense to shreds last year and it is just one of MANY of those kinds of performances out of him.

It's facetious. What if.......? I'm the first to say NO to snow. But that doesn't mean they can't play in the cold AND Drew doesn't need to live his career with an * or ten because he doesn't play up north. The notion of a qualifier is shitty.
Posted via Mobile Device

It's facetious. What if.......? I'm the first to say NO to snow. But that doesn't mean they can't play in the cold AND Drew doesn't need to live his career with an * or ten because he doesn't play up north. The notion of a qualifier is shitty.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't diminish a thing Drew does *is a fan* but to say that about Tom is poking the bear. :)

A little known fact about Brees: he's thrown a TD pass in 41 straight games. With 7 more, he will tie Johnny Unitas with the record at 48.

Back