Can someone tell me why Jerod Mayo is considered so good?

RonBrace

Reaction score
Everyone always talks about how he's a great player and part of the foundation. I just don't see it. He's a pretty good tackler, mediocre in coverage. The next impact play he makes will feel like the first. Looking at his stats, aside from piling up tackles, he's got 7.5 career sacks, 3 int's (for 4 yards, lol), and 8 FF (shocked he has that many) in five years. Can someone tell me why he's anything better than okay?

Everyone always talks about how he's a great player and part of the foundation. I just don't see it. He's a pretty good tackler, mediocre in coverage. The next impact play he makes will feel like the first. Looking at his stats, aside from piling up tackles, he's got 7.5 career sacks, 3 int's (for 4 yards, lol), and 8 FF (shocked he has that many) in five years. Can someone tell me why he's anything better than okay?

What he brings to the defense doesn't show up on the stat sheet - he's the defensive playcaller on the field, captain with a sterling rep, and spent much of his career before Spikes as a ILB covering up mistakes.

It's his versatility and intelligence that Bill is enamored with. In my opinion, the best of Mayo is yet to come. Once Hightower or Collins steps up, we'll start to see Mayo freed up a bit to make plays.

"Better than okay" compared to . . . .?

Compared to all other 5th-year LBs in 2012, he was 1st in total tackles, 1st in forced fumbles, 3rd in sacks, 4th in passes defended and 4th in INTs.

Compared to other LBs (of any experience level) who were among the top ten in tackles in 2012, he was 1st in FF and tied for 1st in sacks. Actually, only one LB had more FFs than Mayo in 2012. Spikes.

Compared to other LBs who have spent their entire careers so far on a re-building defense? Or to guys who have had the opportunity to develop on an established defense with quality veterans?

Compared to other LBs who have played the same roles in the same schemes? I mean, Mayo started his career as an ILB in the 3-4, but his role has been shifting around continually since then as BB's scheme has changed and evolved.

Or are you just comparing his stats (so far) to those of all-time greats like Ray Lewis, London Fletcher, Bruschi, etc.?

What he brings to the defense doesn't show up on the stat sheet - he's the defensive playcaller on the field, captain with a sterling rep, and spent much of his career before Spikes as a ILB covering up mistakes.

It's his versatility and intelligence that Bill is enamored with. In my opinion, the best of Mayo is yet to come. Once Hightower or Collins steps up, we'll start to see Mayo freed up a bit to make plays.

This.

Very nice 1st post, BTW.

:Lwelcome:

Compared to all other 5th-year LBs in 2012, he was 1st in total tackles, 1st in forced fumbles, 3rd in sacks, 4th in passes defended and 4th in INTs.

Compared to other LBs (of any experience level) who were among the top ten in tackles in 2012, he was 1st in FF and tied for 1st in sacks. Actually, only one LB had more FFs than Mayo in 2012. Spikes.

Compared to other LBs who have spent their entire careers so far on a re-building defense? Or to guys who have had the opportunity to develop on an established defense with quality veterans?

Compared to other LBs who have played the same roles in the same schemes? I mean, Mayo started his career as an ILB in the 3-4, but his role has been shifting around continually since then as BB's scheme has changed and evolved.

Or are you just comparing his stats (so far) to those of all-time greats like Ray Lewis, London Fletcher, Bruschi, etc.?

I have to admit to considering Mayo just an above average LB, and part of that assessment is an apparent lack of key plays....

But every time I see the stats brought up he compares favorably, so I don't know what to think any more.

I have to admit to considering Mayo just an above average LB, and part of that assessment is an apparent lack of key plays....

But every time I see the stats brought up he compares favorably, so I don't know what to think any more.

When I first read the thread title, Can someone tell me why Jerod Mayo is considered so good?, my immediate reaction was "No, I can't."

Then I read MM's post about his stats and Oswlek's response about very few key plays which I interpret to mean big game changing highlight reel plays, and I agree 100%. Mayo is solid although I really think he should be an ILB and has been miscast recently as OLB and I don't see that changing any time soon. He's just not fast enough at coverage to play outside. In fact, H'tower, Spikes and Mayo are all best suited at MLB in my mind.

Because....damn, someone has to be good, we have a winning record every year, they can't all suck.

Absolutely.
Mayo's intelligence and play-calling prowess often sets up his defensive teammates for success with plays that typically overshadow his own. The guys don't call him Bill Jr or Jerod Belichick for nothing.

I like Mayo, but he's frustratingly average at times and lacks the knack for the big play that Bruschi (the guy who he is most comparable to from an intangibles aspect as noted earlier in the thread) had. Hell, I'd say Spikes is the guy who comes up with the big plays (INT in the AFCCG v. Baltimore 2 years ago, FF against Zona to set up Finklekowski, etc.)

I keep waiting for Mayo to take it to the next level.

I've said something similar to this in the past. He's very productive, but he's not what I'd call a playmaker.

He's a play creator, and has roughly the same learning curve as a QB. This should be a big year for him :thumb:

He's the dressing on what has been a very average defense the last few years. Now that the supporting cast is getting better around him, I'm look for this condiment to really add some flavor to a stellar defense.

I like Mayo, but he's frustratingly average at times and lacks the knack for the big play that Bruschi (the guy who he is most comparable to from an intangibles aspect as noted earlier in the thread) had. Hell, I'd say Spikes is the guy who comes up with the big plays (INT in the AFCCG v. Baltimore 2 years ago, FF against Zona to set up Finklekowski, etc.)

This is about how I view him and I have also questioned his rep at times, particularly since moving outside. He's better inside in a 3-4. If I didn't know who he was and just watched him this preseason then I would assume he was headed for the waiver wire. He really phoned it in, so let's hope he realizes that the season is starting this Sunday.

I look at him as a guy who is generally dependable enough so that I can spend my time worrying about somebody else, but I do think he has gooten more props than he deserves over the last two years.

For somebody that is supposed to be super football smart he seems to get suckered a lot.

Spikes has made twice as many impact plays in a shorter career.

He's the dressing on what has been a very average defense the last few years. Now that the supporting cast is getting better around him, I'm look for this condiment to really add some flavor to a stellar defense.

After the departure of McGinest, Vrabel, and Bruschi, I thought it would take a miracle to whip this NE defense back into a contender. Guess the Patriots didn't need the Tuna to buy these groceries.

I expect Mayo to be earning his lettuce and bringing home the bacon in time for the hollandaise.

This is about how I view him and I have also questioned his rep at times, particularly since moving outside. He's better inside in a 3-4. If I didn't know who he was and just watched him this preseason then I would assume he was headed for the waiver wire. He really phoned it in, so let's hope he realizes that the season is starting this Sunday.

I look at him as a guy who is generally dependable enough so that I can spend my time worrying about somebody else, but I do think he has gooten more props than he deserves over the last two years.

For somebody that is supposed to be super football smart he seems to get suckered a lot.

Spikes has made twice as many impact plays in a shorter career.

Boom. See: missed pick six in SBXLVI.

Exactly how I feel about him.

As a top 10 pick and then re-signed for big dough I guess I just expect more.

The Bruschi comparison is laughable. Tedy ALWAYS came up with the big play on the ball. Mayo NEVER does.

That gift that floated by from Eli is a hard one to get over.

After the departure of McGinest, Vrabel, and Bruschi, I thought it would take a miracle to whip this NE defense back into a contender. Guess the Patriots didn't need the Tuna to buy these groceries.

I expect Mayo to be earning his lettuce and bringing home the bacon in time for the hollandaise.

Makes me hunger to see more out of him.

I've always liked Mayo but have a hard time understanding the hype regarding his status as a game changer. He's a solid LB and quite dependable from play-to-play, but that isn't enough to warrant the hype he gets.

We need more impact players/plays on D, and I definitely feel like he (as a leader and Pro Bowler) needs to step up.

sometimes the solid steady LB allows the Spikes to react and make the play, knowing Mayo is there to cover up on some of the plays.

But yeah he needs to make some kind of impact outside of the steady everyday type, he needs to be able make that exceptional play in a game that impacts it.

Back