Chandler Jones traded to Cardinals

:OMG:

So much for a quiet off season so far.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Cards-Pats blockbuster from <a href="https://twitter.com/diannaESPN">@diannaESPN</a> and me: Cards trade G Jonathan Cooper + 2nd-rd pick to NE for DE Chandler Jones, per sources.</p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/709813751013384192">March 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Woaaahhhhhh......not sure about this one.

We do need upgrading on the O Line, but that's an awfully good player to trade away.

Woaaahhhhhh......not sure about this one.

We do need upgrading on the O Line, but that's an awfully good player to trade away.

This guy is 26 years old and was the 7th overall pick in the 2013 draft. I'm okay with it. Scar will turn him into an All-Pro.

Pft:

posted by michael david smith on march 15, 2016, 2:57 pm edt

in the most surprising trade of the year so far, chandler jones is heading from new england to arizona.

Jones has been traded from the patriots to the cardinals in exchange for guard jonathan cooper and a second-round draft pick, adam schefter and diana russini of espn report.

The cardinals believed heading into the offseason that their biggest need was a pass rusher, and now they have a very good one. This is the kind of trade that could put the cardinals over the top and make them super bowl favorites.

But there are also risks: Jones is heading into the final year of his contract in 2016, and it’s possible that jones will leave in free agency a year from now.

Cooper was considered one of the best guard prospects ever when the cardinals took him with the seventh overall pick with the seventh overall pick in the 2013 nfl draft, but he’s struggled with injuries and generally been a disappointment. The patriots must still think he has a lot of potential — perhaps more potential in the future than jones, even though on first blush it would appear that the cardinals got the better player in this deal.

This guy is 26 years old and was the 7th overall pick in the 2013 draft. I'm okay with it. Scar will turn him into an All-Pro.

Bombshell!!

But Scar's in on it so who am I to disagree? :dbanana:

Also:
Cooper gets $675k base salary and a $1,713,954 roster bonus if he's on the team the 2nd day of training camp for total of $2,338,954. This Jones trade saves us $4.9M on the cap and we get a terrific OLineman.

Wow...did not see this coming. Guess they felt they would be unlikely to retain him after next year and wanted to use the money on extensions for Hightower, Butler, Collins, and Sheard. Better to get something for him than lose him for nothing. I wonder how much the incident with synthetic weed affected the Patriots thought process on this, if at all.

Is it a 2nd for this year's draft?

The Pats will get significant cap space from this trade. Jones is scheduled to make $7.8M. Cooper's cap hit will be $2.4M

If this allows them to sign Butler, Collins, and Hightower long-term, I'm down with it. Jones was a nice player but was never quite dominant, the way you want your top pass rusher to be. Plus my guess is that he was going to be asking for more money than the others based on position. I think they'll be fine with what they've got.

The Pats will get significant cap space from this trade. Jones is scheduled to make $7.8M. Cooper's cap hit will be $2.4M

Cap savings if traded = $7.199M so
$5M cap savings + an OLineman with upside + a 2nd rnd pick seems to be reasonable.

If this allows them to sign Butler, Collins, and Hightower long-term, I'm down with it. Jones was a nice player but was never quite dominant, the way you want your top pass rusher to be. Plus my guess is that he was going to be asking for more money than the others based on position. I think they'll be fine with what they've got.

From what I could tell, Jones was really a one-trick pony. Not dominant enough to be worth the dollars he was going to demand. Really need to be in the 15-20 sacks a year range to pull that off. He isn't, at least not in the Pats' system.

Kudos to whomever mentioned it in that other thread that a trade of Jones might happen.
I think it's a win-win. They get a good player they can re-sign, the Pats get a promising player that Scar can work his magic on and a 2nd rounder in a draft that is plentiful in D linemen. AND...BB gets to save money!

Cap savings if traded = $7.199M so
$5M cap savings + an OLineman with upside + a 2nd rnd pick seems to be reasonable.

According to Miguel, the cap savings if cut or traded before June 1 is $7.799M.
WEEI is reporting that the Pats gain $5.4M on the cap.

Hoepfully a big chunk of this goes towards extensions.

Back