Colin Kaepernick Is A Piece of Work

grr anger, outrage, an athlete has a stupid political opinion!

this thread is the poop in the ice cream...

To most young people Castro and Che Guevara are sort or marketing parodies. Pictures on t-shirts which are supposed to designate some kind of rejection of traditional authority.

There is almost no acknowledgement of the real actions taken by theses individuals in their pursuit of power. There is an almost complete ignorance of the history.

I hope the death of Fidel Castro is an event that will finally make it ok to move forward on Cuban American relations because this is ultimately in the best interest of both countries.

What you obviously missed is that Kaepernick took a stand to celebrate Castro based on his total ignorance of Cuban oppression by Castro then tried to spin his opinion in the face of factual history. He's a hypocrite for celebrating Castro on one hand and standing up for equal rights on the other and for using a football press conference as his forum to make his stand known.
Kaepernick is the shyte in the ice cream.

A discussion by our board members about an athlete's action on the field. Some offended (such as those who have served and others who believe it to be disrespectful), some who see both free speech and the issue of black police deaths as valid basis for the action. Both sides are sincere and serious about their valid takes and it's that, not the idiot, which drives this worthwhile discussion. As far as I'm concerned, your gratuitous, pointless and derogatory negativity is the only poop here. Perhaps you might go play in some thread you approve of.

Trudeau is a ****ing moron and a trash tier leader. Been saying it for years but knew he'd get elected. People here are still giving him the benefit of the doubt after a year in power, during which he's done NOTHING of value and proven his campaign a giant series of lies.

I assume Trudeau was trying to be respectful because Canadian-Cuban relations are actually quite good. He obviously didn't want to make any comment about Castro's failings as a leader right after his death, but he obviously went way to far and almost sounded like he was trying to immortalize a hero. I'm glad he's being deservedly shit on for such a 'head in sand' statement, but I fully expect the left here to overlook it.

And yes, my country is fully on path for complete pussification.

I wonder what the Cuban people actually think? Do they consider it a fair trade-off to receive education and healthcare in exchange for repression of political freedom? Does it bother them that they need permission to leave the island? Or do they consider the Batista days so much worse that they were willing to put up with Castro? We know what Cuban refugees think. They left the island because they disagreed with the Revolution so they, of course, will vilify Castro, but are the people left behind simply resigned to the way things are, or would they like change? That's what would interest me to find out.

Maybe the Cuban people consider that Batista kept them in misery and they merely switched dictators, but Castro brought them upgrades in education and healthcare. Sadly, they could point to our free system with millions of people attending inferior schools and going without any healthcare at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Castro. If the CIA hadn't been such bumblers, they could have bumped him off a half-century ago. Dictators are dictators, no matter how they dress up their tyranny. I just wonder what people actually living in Cuba think, which is difficult to discern, since speaking out gets you a one-way ticket to prison.

O'bama is a piece of work as well:

At this time of Fidel Castro’s passing, we extend a hand of friendship to the Cuban people. We know that this moment fills Cubans - in Cuba and in the United States - with powerful emotions, recalling the countless ways in which Fidel Castro altered the course of individual lives, families, and of the Cuban nation. History will record and judge the enormous impact of this singular figure on the people and world around him. wth?

‎For nearly six decades, the relationship between the United States and Cuba was marked by discord and profound political disagreements. During my presidency, we have worked hard to put the past behind us, pursuing a future in which the relationship between our two countries is defined not by our differences but by the many things that we share as neighbors and friends - bonds of family, culture, commerce, and common humanity. This engagement includes the contributions of Cuban Americans, who have done so much for our country and who care deeply about their loved ones in Cuba.

Today, we offer condolences to Fidel Castro’s family, and our thoughts and prayers are with the Cuban people. In the days ahead, they will recall the past and also look to the future. As they do, the Cuban people must know that they have a friend and partner in the United States of America.

And as usual calling a spade a spade, here is Trump's response:

Today, the world marks the passing of a brutal dictator who oppressed his own people for nearly six decades. Fidel Castro’s legacy is one of firing squads, theft, unimaginable suffering, poverty and the denial of fundamental human rights.

While Cuba remains a totalitarian island, it is my hope that today marks a move away from the horrors endured for too long, and toward a future in which the wonderful Cuban people finally live in the freedom they so richly deserve.

Though the tragedies, deaths and pain caused by Fidel Castro cannot be erased, our administration will do all it can to ensure the Cuban people can finally begin their journey toward prosperity and liberty. I join the many Cuban Americans who supported me so greatly in the presidential campaign, including the Brigade 2506 Veterans Association that endorsed me, with the hope of one day soon seeing a free Cuba.”
Trumps tweet was better

I wonder what the Cuban people actually think? Do they consider it a fair trade-off to receive education and healthcare in exchange for repression of political freedom? Does it bother them that they need permission to leave the island? Or do they consider the Batista days so much worse that they were willing to put up with Castro? We know what Cuban refugees think. They left the island because they disagreed with the Revolution so they, of course, will vilify Castro, but are the people left behind simply resigned to the way things are, or would they like change? That's what would interest me to find out.

Maybe the Cuban people consider that Batista kept them in misery and they merely switched dictators, but Castro brought them upgrades in education and healthcare. Sadly, they could point to our free system with millions of people attending inferior schools and going without any healthcare at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of Castro. If the CIA hadn't been such bumblers, they could have bumped him off a half-century ago. Dictators are dictators, no matter how they dress up their tyranny. I just wonder what people actually living in Cuba think, which is difficult to discern, since speaking out gets you a one-way ticket to prison.

http://nypost.com/2016/11/27/inside-fidel-castros-life-of-luxury-and-ladies-while-country-starved/

I've visited Cuba a few times, including some time in Havana. Beautiful country and I'm sad that soon it will probably completely overrun by tourists once Americans start visiting.

Cuban people are insanely nice, generally speaking. Very genuine and very care-free. There is poverty in Cuba - no one really lives very well and that is obvious just walking around. But it looks as though few people actually starve or are forced to live on the streets. Their basic needs are met, so it seems. And, interestingly, Cubans seem happy. Lots of smiles and just seem content with that they have. There is also very little crime in Cuba. It's insanely safe as a tourist/local.

Now, obviously, there are huge issues with how the country is run. Internet, for example, is basically non-existent outside of hotels and the homes of wealthy families. Or at least it was a few years ago. I'm sure if Cubans had a better idea of what they were missing then they may be more actively outspoken about their current conditions.

Cuba today isn't really ruled with an iron fist. There's no bloodshed in the streets or mass militarization. Outspoken opponents may face issues, but the typical Cuban person seems resigned to the life available. Fidel hasn't really been the ruler in a while, so I don't think they will expect his death to bring much change. I'd imagine the feelings for him are quite mixed, but I never got the sense that he was blamed for hardships. It's different when you're actually living it and are part of a relatively closed society. It's likely most Cubans didn't know much about how Fidel and the elites lived, nor how their conditions differed from those outside Cuba's borders.

It'll be interesting to see how things develop in the next few years, especially once his brother dies as well.

I'm expecting to go back again in February actually, and am looking forward to taking my girlfriend for her first time.

What you obviously missed is that Kaepernick took a stand to celebrate Castro based on his total ignorance of Cuban oppression by Castro then tried to spin his opinion in the face of factual history. He's a hypocrite for celebrating Castro on one hand and standing up for equal rights on the other and for using a football press conference as his forum to make his stand known.
Kaepernick is the shyte in the ice cream.

political threads belong in the political forum. otherwise they are the poop in the ice cream clear enough now?

political threads belong in the political forum. otherwise they are the poop in the ice cream clear enough now?

As I just said in your negrep... calm your tits, Francis.

Raise your hands if you think we need to go to the political forum to have a non-confrontational discussion of an action taken by an NFL player on gameday.

Buehler?

Buehler?

OMG not the negrep what shall i ever do how can i live w/the shame. :suicide:

look the Circus is a refuge from garbage like this, you have a home for this crap take it there, really is that so hard to do?

this topic can exist, and similar ones have existed, in the main forum. The time it get political is when people come in to protest the worth of it in said forum.

I have been watching, And IF a move was needed I would have but now I am kind of interested to see if we can move past this little spat of placement and discuss the Topic like adults.

Carry on.

I read that as a polite way of saying go to hell. "History will record and judge" says we'll see. But I got nothing good to say. "Enormous Impact" can be positive or negative. And I'm inferring HUGE NEGATIVE.

While the hand of friendship goes out to Cupan people, not Cuba as a nation.

I'm always all over Obama, but I think he's being discreet.

:shrug:

Cheers

Yeah, Obama is a master at eloquently speaking in a way that diplomats use, (that you can read however you want). In this case, I'm reading it the same way you are.

this topic can exist, and similar ones have existed, in the main forum. The time it get political is when people come in to protest the worth of it in said forum.

I have been watching, And IF a move was needed I would have but now I am kind of interested to see if we can move past this little spat of placement and discuss the Topic like adults.

Carry on.

Agreed, and as an aside, I actually think it's sort of sad that we needed to create the political forum. It's as if people didn't realize they don't have to click on a thread that they don't like.

Back